04-06-2024 11:42 AM
0 Replies
2024 VRRDA Rock 'n' Roll...
Last post by Jitterbug
21-05-2024 02:58 PM
0 Replies

+ Reply to Thread

2024 Cooly Rocks On Festival

The 2024 Cooly Rocks On Festival puts on another fantastic show for the thousands who attended the festival in Coolangatta this year. The weather was glorious throughout the festival with sunny days and gentle cool breezes to the shore and Marine Parade where the main events took place. There was no winter gloom in Coolangatta with non-stop rock 'n' roll dancing from morning to night.

The many bands playing at the festival were great with a good variety of rock 'n' roll, rockabilly and swing/blues. I have many favourites that I danced to on the weekend including the Lincolns from Adelaide, 'Kid' James, Rockin' Daddys and RockADees from Melbourne, Bang, Bang, Betty & the H-Bombs from Perth, Sugar Shakers and Little Stevie & the Tailfins from Brisbane and all the Elvis tribute artists especially from Charlie Gaylard, the 15 years old teenager from Colac, Victoria.

There were hundreds of classic cars and rods on display on the main street of Coolangatta, and a night cruise and parade of those cars on Saturday night. Plenty of merchandise stores & specialty shops were lined along the foreshore and in the Strands Shopping Centre as well as 1950's hair styling & fashion booths.

There was an Elvis tributes competition and an Elvis Gospel Service on Sunday morning. The Cooly Rocks On beauty pageant was another crowd favourite. For those who love to swing dance there was a ticketed Moonlight Swing Dance at the main Marquee. Finally, dance classes were held for those who wanted lessons in rock n roll, rockabilly and swing.

All in all, a fantastic festival and without doubt the Cooly Rocks On Festival continues to be the premier 1950's style rock n roll festival in Australia. It's also a great meeting place to catch up with new and long-time friends from Melbourne and inter-states.

See below for just a selection of my videos from the festival. You can watch more videos on my Pauljitterbug YouTube Channel......

Last edited by Jitterbug; 14-06-2024 at 11:20 AM.