24-04-2024 11:26 AM
0 Replies
2024 Good Friday Appeal...
Last post by Jitterbug
08-04-2024 01:13 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Angry Dance Etiquette - Again

Seems to me that at a venue with a limited floor space and a busy dance floor, like, for example, Dandy Workers, that dancers should have enough brains to dance close to their partners.

On Friday, again, too many dills were all over the place causing far too many collisions.

At this point I have to appologise again to the Divine one who was so gracious to dance with me only to be spiked by the heel of the demented "dancing" of the no-knickers woman and her diminutive partner. (The N-K W had slashes in her clothes that allowed the body to show through - but that is not the issue.) And this happened twice. I even moved us to screen them off but there they were again and spiked Miss M a second time.

Sure accidents do happen, but how can we improve the floor craft to avoid this sort of thing?
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Re: Dance Etiquette - Again

There are some people who don't seem to worry about who they stand on. I know I always apologize if ever I stand on someone, and feel terrible about it, but we have no control over where the dance partner sends us, especially if it's a guy who likes to fling you out in all directions. It's good to raise the issue to make people more aware of trying to rein in their moves on a crowded dance floor. So please keep bringing up the dance etiquette regularly.

Hi Rob
    Yes - I'm glad it was the diminutive one who spiked me on the dancefloor Friday night. Unfortunately, it is part & parcel tht such "war wounds" must be endured by us girls every now and again...especially when you have a crowded dancefloor, with a mix of partner dancing and individuals dancing together (think "Cath & Kel" free spirit style ...)
    But thankyou, Rob, for your chivalrous attempt to sreen me from further injury... but I come from stoic Scottish stock! Enjoyed the dancing, great music as always from Shadoogie, so the momentary pain was worth it.
    Cheers!
    MsM

Exclamation Re: Dance Etiquette

I totally agree with the your comments Rob, over the last 10 years or so the dancing has definitely become more aggressive, It is also obvious that some leaders have no idea of where they are going to put their partner,when I learnt to dance my teacher always told us to put the follow into a safe place, if it can't be safe, hang onto her and protect her, it all comes down to who has the active brain and who is slightly moribund.I generally take a break if things are too crowded, it makes good sense ot protect your partner from"war wounds", this also tends to calm things a little.

I wasn't there but I know what you're saying Rob. Playing at gigs and getting been clobbered by my microphone stand as some git decides to dance like a twat near the stage is an occupational hazard.

There's a saying,,,, Dance as if noone is watching. Some people dance as if noone is there!

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon