0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: duelling banjos

duelling banjos

Subject: Fw: Duelling Banjos............how it came to be.
    Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 08:21:24 +1000

Duelling Banjos............how it came to be.

Read the text below before watching the movie clip.

I never knew this wasn't part of the movie..it happened by accident while they stopped for gas,

Read the commentary below before viewing the video.

If you saw the film, Deliverance, you will recall this scene a classic.

The guy playing the guitar is Ronnie Cox from Portales New Mexico.

Autism? Asperger's syndrome? Genius primary, social interaction secondary? Serendipity?........or maybe we just haven't figured it out yet.

Plumbing the depths of the human mind and spirit is an eternal frontier.

Watch the young mans face not his fingers.

Read this before viewing video....

This is an excerpt of the film "Deliverance". When the filming group of the movie stopped at a gas station somewhere, one of the actors started to play a tune of the film on his guitar.

When a boy who was watching (an autistic) heard the music, he started to respond with notes from his banjo. They started an incredible dialogue of instruments and the autistic boy expressed himself in probably the only form in which he was prepared to communicate.

This is how this remarkable scene, that was included in the movie, was developed and filmed. Look at the expression of the boy. At first, he seems uncertain and waiting but as the intensity of the music progressed, his lost expression was gone and an expression of pleasure and happiness was recovered; thanks to this guitar player who happened to pass by.

After this magic moment passed, the boy returned into himself leaving this part of his externalised beauty in the film. This truly was a memorable part of the movie.

This is a good story. I never knew it was true.

This scene was not a part of the script until the camera man happened to catch it on film. The family was well paid; and beat poverty by accident.

Watch the little boy especially at the end. Turn the sound on and enjoy.

Anyone who saw the film will remember this scene,
    That,ll be the day the music die,s

Re: duelling banjos

Doubt it, sounds like earl scruggs playing to me....
    watch his fingers on the fret board of the banjo as hes playing to what your hearing...big difference...sorry
    "I shot a man in Reno..Just to watch him Die"

Your kinda right for once Bloto, it was written in 1955 by Arthur 'Guitar Boogie Smith and called Fuedin Banjos. The kid in the movie is an actor (Billy Redden) and they used a body double for the banjo playing.

Well Bolto74 and man in black. I had this email sent to me and thought it was such a great story that I had to share and now , all the good feeling I has ,gone.It dont matter though,I wont trust emails ever again.Thanks guys but I have to salvage something here(LOL) and say it,s still a good clip.

Well whether it's true or not, rocknray I don't care, but that just brought tears to an old mans eyes. I have a grandson who has Aspergers syndrome and I haven't seen him for close to ten years as his mother has nothing to do with me. I have no idea why not but I thought that I had come to accept it. It made me remember him.

I'm still crying, thank you so very much.

HI cirrus,it sort of did the same to me .I hope the memories are good ones. For me it made me grateful I,m as I am. I often wonder why though .Take care mate .

I received the same email few weeks ago, and picked it a fake soon as the clip started as there appeared to be more then 1 camera filming... was the young kid in a western or war movie?

So it isn't true. Does it jeffing matter? The poignancy of the post is its value. Why turn it into a pissing contest? Can't you seethe message beyond the post? Do you know why the original poster posted the email? Maybe, just maybe, they were struggling with a problem just as I am, for crissake.

Try thinking beyond black and white. There are a million jeffing shades of gray in this godforsaken, avaricious, sad world we live in. Rocknray posted it in the belief that it was factual. I read the posts saying it was crap, but it was still extremely disturbing to me and just maybe others who visit this forum.

Enough is enough! Leave it be!!! We can't all be jeffing perfect.
    Last edited by cirrus; 18-06-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: clarity and ****ty grammar

no need to arc up cirrus, no one was uncivil to you or anyone else - just agreeing with the observations of others. Seems to me if you have an issue that effects you this way, ranting on a public forum isnt the right way to deal with it. For me I really enjoyed the clip and I dont care how it came about Im just glad it did and I was reminded of it here

i have two nephews with autism...I received the same email....Im just getting really sick of people making up stories that are not true only to try and pull on peoples heart strings..In my mind the people who send these garbage stories out into the world are the evil ones...sorry but that's just my perspective

But in saying that, its still a great clip and the playing is fantastic too
    "I shot a man in Reno..Just to watch him Die"

Hi Bolto,I posted the video believing it to be as the email stated.I,m thinking yer sure they are actors but is this how it came about (the tune)Why would I and others question it to be false. In this day and age we are all looking for a feel good story to cover the darkness.This made me feel good watching and thought it would do the same for those that watched it as well.NO intention to cause any forgotten feelings to rise to the surface,yep I,m a victim of the hoax and as you said I,m at a loss to wonder what the intentions of the instigators of the email are.

It is a great clip, with a positive over-tone.

Ray, a lot of these sort of emails are generated for "phishing", to capture people's contact info for advertising and worse.

The classic version requires you to forward the message to a stated number of friends to gain a benefit, eg good luck, and avoid a penalty.

I usually delete them. If the contents have something worthwhile it can be copied into a new, and hopefully spyware clean, version.

Also if an email makes a special claim, eg the Pope is Moslem perhaps, you can visit investigative (and often funny) sites like Snopes http://www.snopes.com/ to check.
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

There is information about it on that site RobE. You can read it here -
    http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/deliverance.asp

Red face Re: duelling banjos

Quote Originally Posted by MAN IN BLACK View Post
    Your kinda right for once Bloto, it was written in 1955 by Arthur 'Guitar Boogie Smith and called Fuedin Banjos. The kid in the movie is an actor (Billy Redden) and they used a body double for the banjo playing.
    I haven't been on this site for a while, but UR right man in black! I've got it on shellac & vinyl!
    41 Poncho