Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: WHO is Rockabilly

Quote Originally Posted by customrod View Post
    And Shakin Pyramids Ahhhhhhhhh Rockin Bones Im your friend for life you speak my language :P
    Hot off the press (ish) - Pyramids front man James g Creighton is putting together his Reeferbilly Trio. So far ex Deuces Wild drummer is the only other member I know. they have one gig lined up already so if anyone is in the UK on 17 December, head over to Leicester for the Raucous Records Birthday bash.......
    Don't Dig Me Daddy 'Cause I'm Real Gone.....

Love to, Leicester is my home town, but I'm in Melbourne (this is Vicrock)

I heard the Charlotte had closed, where is the gig being held?

Ace

Quote Originally Posted by acebass View Post
    Love to, Leicester is my home town, but I'm in Melbourne (this is Vicrock)Ace
    Longshot I know but a few VicRockers have made the trip over recently....

Indeed the Charlotte is no more - the slack has been picked up by the Musician and the Donkey out on Welford Road - but it is in a place called Lock 24, which I've not heard of before.......

Would love to come :P Oh if it was only that easy lol. Planning at some stage in the next couple of years as daughters godmum has moved over there for a bit so have somewhere to stay

I expect a full review of this gig Rockin Bones
    never worry about what someone has to say about you because while they are busy trying to destroy you, you are being exactly what they only wish they could be!

re WHO is rockabilly?This could also include WHO makes up a rockabilly band. What is the typical size and what instruments. Perhaps the make up of Billy Lee Riley's band is a good starting point as they were often used as the house band at Sun records. Some have said that one of the reasons Sam Phillips did not promote Red Hot was because he did not want it to become a hit and so lose his house band. But that band consistered on piano, sax, base, drums, guitar and riley on rhythem guitar and harmonica. Riley was one of the great harp players.

Elvis started with just guitar and double base

GROUSE!!!!! Well Done ....Mel........WOW

Ditto on the new site - nice!

Interesting take on what makes up a rockabilly band - as Acebass has already said, no drums in the early stuff and if noting else the stray cats cemented the idea of a trio, minimum drum kit in the early eighties.

Difficult to pin down though, a lot of session musician work went into a lot of stuff back in the 50s and a bands live line up could be a lot smaller than the one that recorded. Certainly instruments such as pianos seem to have dropped out of use over the years - I suspect for purely practical reasons when touring!

Saw an interesting documentary on Sun records not long back where Billy lee and Sam Phillips were both interviewed. I think Billy, by his own admission, could be a bit volatile after a beer or two, and Sam was really a business man with an ear for the next hit - it came down to a choice between promoting Billy Lee's single and Jerry Lee's and the choice was a pure business one. Old wounds were clearly still evident between the two of them but the hatchet looked to be buried....

Firstly don`t you just hate it when you have just completed an answer to a forum topic and then loose the lot ? #^^*# Anyway here we go again.

Found some of the answers quite interesting but it seems to be dominated by mens responses, so I`ll try to even it up a bit. Haha.

Because rockabilly originates from the U.S and the mid Southern States, it would seem appropriate to me that the artist would be an American. Who Is Rockabilly for me is the ` King Of Rockabilly` himself `Mr Carl Perkins`. He personified the 50`s rockabilly sound more than anyone else involved in it, because he never changed !!! In later years Carl Perkins said "It was Rockabilly long before it was rock and roll". He began his career in 1954 and his `Blue Suede Shoes`hit holds the distinction of being the first million - selling Rockabilly record in history. He was inducted into the Rock and roll, the Rockabilly and the Nashville songwriters Hall of Fame, and was a Grammy Hall of Fame recipient. How could you top that ? He also wrote many songs that were recorded by Elvis, Johnny Cash and other Sun record Studio artists. He was part of the Million Dollar Quartet - Elvis, Jerry Lee and Johnny Cash. Rockabilly artists like Elvis, Johnny Burnette, Johnny Cash, Ricky Nelson etc all changed their styles in later years, but Carl Perkins continued to be true to rockabilly until his death in 1998. Even later rockabilly artists like Brian Setzer changed to Neo- Swing. Some of us were lucky enough to see his son Charlie Perkins perform at Wintersun .

It`s also interesting that in the 50s the name or definition of the style rockabilly was not an issue for musicians, it was just music they enjoyed to play. Rockabilly has been widely discussed under the term only following its revival.......

Enjoying this thread, and not wanting to go off topic but thought I might just respond to Jiver's comment about having to retype lost text ..........

I take the precaution of making a copy of text before I hit the 'submit reply' button if it has taken a while for me to complete the draft.

That way, if the post doesn't register for any reason it is simply a matter of copying the saved text to a new post. I use ctrl-insert to save a copy of the text and shift-insert to paste into the new posting.

Looking forward to further postings on the history of all things rockabilly.......
    Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt

Firstly don`t you just hate it when you have just completed an answer to a forum topic and then loose the lot ? #^^*# Anyway here we go again.

Found some of the answers quite interesting but it seems to be dominated by mens responses, so I`ll try to even it up a bit. Haha.

Because rockabilly originates from the U.S and the mid Southern States, it would seem appropriate to me that the artist would be an American. Who Is Rockabilly for me is the ` King Of Rockabilly` himself `Mr Carl Perkins`. He personified the 50`s rockabilly sound more than anyone else involved in it, because he never changed !!! In later years Carl Perkins said "It was Rockabilly long before it was rock and roll". He began his career in 1954 and his `Blue Suede Shoes`hit holds the distinction of being the first million - selling Rockabilly record in history. He was inducted into the Rock and roll, the Rockabilly and the Nashville songwriters Hall of Fame, and was a Grammy Hall of Fame recipient. How could you top that ? He also wrote many songs that were recorded by Elvis, Johnny Cash and other Sun record Studio artists. He was part of the Million Dollar Quartet - Elvis, Jerry Lee and Johnny Cash. Rockabilly artists like Elvis, Johnny Burnette, Johnny Cash, Ricky Nelson etc all changed their styles in later years, but Carl Perkins continued to be true to rockabilly until his death in 1998. Even later rockabilly artists like Brian Setzer changed to Neo- Swing. Some of us were lucky enough to see his son Charlie Perkins perform at Wintersun . `Matchbox` one of Perkins first hits has been one of the most popular songs and covered by most bands at Wintersun.

It`s also interesting that in the 50s the name or definition of the style rockabilly was not an issue for musicians, it was just music they enjoyed to play. Rockabilly has been widely discussed under the term only following its revival..

[/QUOTE] ` It was Rockabilly Long before It was Rock and Roll`

This has been an interesting thread. I think I said somewhere that I hadn't really heard of rockabilly until we began dancing around 2000. After reading Jivers post I must withdraw that silly statement.

I've ALWAYS known rockabilly, but called it Rock and Roll. How embarrassing.

Thanks Jiver J

Yes it has been an interesting thread Cirrus and I guess that`s what a site like Vicrock is all about - discussing and promoting rock and roll.

I`ve many book on the subject. Yes 50`s Rockabilly is rock and roll, but just an early version. It`s an emotionally intense and rhythmic blend of country music ( and other white traditions ) and rhythm and blues ( and other black traditions ). It`s characterized by assertive and confident singing [ unlike Pat Boone ], moderately fast tempos. It can be identified by the appearance ( or absence) of a number of elements : Obvious Presley Influence; performers with a Country music background; blues structures; use of echo effect; strong rhythm and beat; emotion and feeling; a wild or extreme vocal style; an energetic, moderate to fast tempo; blues-influenced electric guitar solo; upright bass- especially if played in the slap manner. And let`s not forget the performers perceived commitment to the genre, this may be bolstered by hair, clothes, posture, or vintage instruments in accepted rockabilly fashion. Then of course there is the later style and rockabilly revival subgenres that helped create the psychobilly style , which is a mixture of the Punk style and rockabilly subculture, with influences like Link Wray. All very interesting !

The main thing though is that we all still enjoy this music and have many young musicians helping to keep this style of music alive and well.

Maybe another topic could be `What is `Psychobilly`?

I wasn't really serious about Pat Boone, Jiver J. But, you have to admit his rendition of Tutti Frutti was simply beautiful.

My parents just adored him.

Red face Re: WHO is Rockabilly

HaHa Cirrus. I don`t know if Little Richard would agree with you on that one about Pat Boone. And who would ever have dreamed that someone as wild as 1950`s Johnny Burnette would later go on to sing `Dreamin` or `Sweet 16` and tour Australia with Connie Frances. Just shows you how things evolved into the mainstream music we have today.

[QUOTE=Jiver J;24924

Maybe another topic could be `What is `Psychobilly`?[/QUOTE]

you would need to ask which psychobilly as well?? as English is still very "billy" eg batmobile,frenzy, restless (although many will tell me they are neo)
    And european is very heavy almost metal like eg Mad Sin, Damage done by worms and scum rats.

So that is not a easy question to ask either :P

And besides there are so many on here that do not share the love of psychobilly ( not me I lurve it lol )
    never worry about what someone has to say about you because while they are busy trying to destroy you, you are being exactly what they only wish they could be!

Have to agree with Customrod, you probably don't want to go there with the psychobilly debate and the whole Old School/New School thing.... while still considered new kid on the block compared to other rockin' styles its easy to forget it has now been around as long as rock n roll had when psychobilly first came out. Plenty of time to generate its own controversy and debates!