Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rocker website

Essex Guest

Re:Rocker website

I have to agree with Mel, the BHRÂ’s were good on Sunday and Saturday. I loved the Hot Rods too but am not so narrow that I canÂ’t appreciate many things.

I have heard Rock n Rollers say the Detonators are either ‘too fast or too slow’ in fact many Rock n Roll dancers as so fussy, they don’t like this band or that band and only want a set ‘routine’ of songs, if anyone plays outside the parameters of what they consider dance music, then the band is no good - and if they should play something 'original' that is out.

They could just try listening too. We managed to do all three things to the Detonators music on Christmas Eve and had an awesome time, the band just kept playing and we loved them. We R & R'd, Linedanced and listened-everyone had a good time, and we appreciated the band - some Rock and Rollers could remember to do that as well - show the band that they have enjoyed the music.

Icon you refer to NQR, I thought NQR was slightly imperfect, out of date or no one wants this item hmmm lol.
    Come to think of it some of the people that visit NQR stores Are themselves NQR !!! lolllll
    Oh and i have a question -What Country scene?, before you all have a go at me I spent the better part of 15years in that scene and know what happened to it...... Not Happy Jan!!
    Now Im just happy, I say happy happy joy joy :P
    www.cantconme.com.au/what.the

What do you think it was that killed the Country Pub and Club gigs Boomer?
    And can you, like me, see a not too friendly and familiar pattern trying to raise its ugly head.
    Both Terry and myself were into Country Music for at least 20 years and bang, destruction big time.
    I think we both know what caused it, but heaven help us if we say anything on this forum. :unsure:

If people are dancing and having fun whats the problem?A dance style doesn't destroy.Peoples attitudes will though.Live and let live.Yes this is a Rock'n'Roll site,but who decides whats music is RnR or Country or Swing or Pop for that matter.I would not want to walk up to Keith Richards[Rolling Stones] and tell him.You ain't playing Rock 'n' Roll.Just imagine for a moment you could go back in time.Would you tell ELVIS,not to do Old Shep or Thats Alright Mamma.The best thing to do,is go out and have fun.If ya foot tapes ,dance to it.If you wanna RnR dance do it.If you wanna Linedance do it.If ya wanna Hokey Pokey do it.So long as everyone is considerate to everyone on the floor what does it matter what you do.As long as your in the company of good friends ,what does is really matter. Just remember folks we all can't follow the same Football Team.

well said Shane - I asked a deaf bloke the difference between Rock n Roll, Rockabilly and Country Rock and he couldnt give me an answer - I guess some dont appreciate just how luck we are to have such a great variety. I for one am happy to see it all advertised on this web site so I can plan my next great weekend.

All being said I wonder if any other site being Country, Jazz etc would link us to their site ... Think about it, and i know all the arguments and all the small talk that goes on but you must understand us musos do look at it from a different angle, call me over protective but folks i saw what happend in the late 90s to the country scene and it wernt pretty.and if we are not carefull we might just end up the same way.Lets talk about the things no one wants to talk about huh ? 1 Venues-how many have closed down in say the last year how many more are opening up?
    and the reasons why, No ? well then lets work to keep Rock n Roll alive and yes when i say rock n roll i mean rockabilly too.

Lyndon Ditto!!!

Ps: Icon i looked up the share prices today but mate i got to tell you shares in BIG KEV (I'm exited) have booomed in Bolivia. Buy Buy Buy.....

Both Boomer and Shane raise good points.

There are so many point of views for equally valid reasons.
    From the line dancer who sees nothing wrong with a harmless form of healthy social exercise.

The rock and roll dancer who hasnÂ’t got enough dance floor left if too many line dancers create an extra large formation.

The newcomer to the dance scene who doesnÂ’t see anything wrong with any of it.

The Muso who just wants to play and the muso who doesnÂ’t want history to repeat itself.

All these points of view are correct in their own context and as Shane says, what is the difference, it is all good music.

Shane, with regard to your comment about artists being judged by what they play, both Boomer and I recall the time when Country line dancers reached the point where that is exactly what they did do. Not just ask, but dictate to the bands what they should play and if they couldn‘t play those songs, they would pressure the venue not to hire the band again…….Try playing your own style and or compositions under those circumstances.

Perhaps the main difference that I can see so far in the Rock and Roll dance scene, is that line dancing is done by rock and roll dancers and in the main only on limited occasions throughout the night.
    But in the country music scene, we ended up with people that ONLY line danced and nothing else. Given this, I for one may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, but hey, there is nothing wrong with being cautious is there.
    :blink:

Unfortunately music styles are very pidgeon-holed now and a generation has grown up with that. I do remember as a kid, many moons ago watching my folks and their friends at dances, on the same night dancing from old-time, country and western, through to rock and roll which was reasonably new then. There were no complaints and people danced to whatever the bands threw at them at whatever slack tempos, none of the rants bands have to live with now.. " its too fast...its too slow..you can't dance to that, its too loud.. its not loud enough " blah blah etc etc.
    This is obviously punishment from above for musos who had a slack, carefree life in the 60s, 70s and 80s playing what they wanted to happy punters. Anyway, back to my teas and scones.

Give me a break Lineup. All music is related somewhere along the line and for that matter the same goes for dance.
    But rock and roll is just rock and roll no matter how much academic and theoretical mumbo jumbo ya throw at it. And thank the gods for that.

Thank You Lineup.

Lineup
    Yeh, you must have chucked up a lot of mumbo jumbo as punter put it to come up with the theory that country is a form of rock and roll. What a load of bollocks. Just cause Elvis and Co. sang both dont make them the same derrr.

Lyndon l don,t know what you mean by [judged by what you play].The amount of times l have been told to slow by someone on the left of a dance floor,and have someone on the right call out "Too Fast" at the same time.l have lost count.and as for being pressured at Venues.We did the Feccia Azzurra? club 3 times Pat {WHO IS A TOP BLOKE BY THE WAY}was more than happy with us on the first 2 times he gave us nothing but compliments.The 3rd time l WATCHED as a certain person walked around with 2 of their smiling assasins DUMPING on US.Pat came up to me at the end of the night with a hole list of complaints.We parted ways there and then.He as confused as l was as to why things like that happen.But l DIDN'T CHANGE MY STYLE and l DID KEEP PLAYING UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS.C'YA MATE. shane bhr

Thanks Mike for recognizing how hard it is at times to join a discussion on Vicrock when everbody knows who you are.

It is even more difficult when you are in a band, because anything that is said, that gets twisted, or taken the wrong way, can innocently reflect back on the band.

Unfortunately, it also makes it impossible to be critical in instances of sensitivity, such as why we aren't playing at the Wally Matt any more.

Lucky we have fellow lunatics like Boomer and the Bug to freshen up our minds and days.

I think I understand what Lyndon's talking about - personal vs corporate responsibility. It's hard to divorce your personal opinions from your the band as the public at large do somehow see you as one.

However Lyndon, I do hope you will continue to voice your opinions from time to time in the forum as someone who knows well and has been in the R&R scene for a long time. Your knowledge and experience is invaluable. Particularly for a newbie like myself. You have much to contribute. So my hope is that in important matters that require critical discussions you will be bold to air your opinions as you will be like the weather ........ it pays no attention to criticism.

Back on the subject, I personally think a little variety is OK as long as it is related to dance and music. However, I think it's important that VicRock remains primarily focused on Rock & Roll (and all that is associated under this umbrella). So that any one visiting the site gets precisely the information that he or she requires.