0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boogie Woogie

Boogie Woogie

Aaaah! To be young again. My eyes can barely keep up with the beat, let alone my legs.

BOOGIE WOOGIE

If you can take your eyes off of the girl, the male dancer is super.

He never moves his shoulders compared to what his feet and knees are doing. And the top of his head stays at about the same height no matter what.

This is a pianist from Switzerland who plays some of the best Boogie Woogie anywhere. He is so BIG over there, they hold a week-long Boogie Woogie contest every year and all the bestplayers and dancers in the world are invited. In this video he is joined by 2 amazing dancers. The male dancer even has a haircut from the forties!

Turn up the volume, watch and give it a listen! If you experience any trouble tapping your foot to the beat, you had better hurry and schedule an appointment with your physician.

FOR THOSE TOO YOUNG TO REMEMBER,

THIS IS HOW THE BOOGIE WOOGIE WAS DONE!

Click below
    http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/2027669...OGIEWOOGIE.wmv
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Re: Boogie Woogie

Get him off that medication!!!! He's talking gibberish again, sorry folks since the op Clives brain has shrunk, but his head got bigger his hair fell out and he's touching up old sheilas.. NURRSSSSSEEEE !!! lollllllllllllllllllll

Smile Re: Boogie Woogie

Feeling young again! Whatever medication he's on, I 'll have some ......minus the loss of hair of course!! LOL.

Great video, Clive ..........

Cliver,that had my foot a tappin all the way.I could watch that stuff all day ,loved it ,thanks mate.
    That,ll be the day the music die,s

Actually I've seen it before...but not the full version or the explanation...that's why I posted it....makes sense now....thanks to Geof & Heidi from Albury....
    no special madication for me

Clive R
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Beautifully done, but kinda weird.

I was reminded of the Peanuts characters dancing in the Charlie Brown movies.

Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Now here's an interesting idea.....How about a Boogie Woogie section in the upcoming VRRDA Dance comps....or .....the VRRDA sourceing some exhibition dancers to promote the style....
    ooops...maybe that's too wierd

Clive R

That's how I danced around fifty years ago..........................I wish.

Thanks Clive. Great viewing.

Clive raised an interesting question as to whether Boogie Woogie could (or should) be included in our R&R dance competition. Certainly an interesting, high energy form of dancing but I suppose only VRRDA could decide on that along with questions about other dances like rockabilly, Lindy Hop etc which RobE has previously replied in other forum posts.

From the little I know, Boogie Woogie is regarded as a form of swing dancing and from various videos, one could see "sugar pushes" and "swing outs" which are typical swing moves. I believe it is very popular in Europe with lots of dance competitions under the auspices of the World Rock & Roll Confederation. It seems this body is mainly promoting 3 dance forms - Boogie Woogie, Lindy Hop and Rock & Roll (acrobatic). However, the last one is not to be confused with the R&R we dance in Australia. I would love to learn Woogie Boogie but the only couple that I know of who could dance it are the two dancing doctors (John & Heather) from Sale.

Anyway, here's a video of the 2010 Woogie Boogie World Championship ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7xWcPkDaAs

Good stuff Clive Happy birthday for yesterday Mate. Thought I'd throw this up again seeing as we are on the subject of Boogie; some of our newer members might not know about the slender roots of the origin of our music of today.
    John Tennison keeps up dating this site as he finds more information.
    http://nonjohn.com/History%20of%20Boogie%20Woogie.htm
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

Red face Re: Boogie Woogie

Happy Birthday Clive. I am glad you are around to celebrate one more. Thanks for organising one of Melbourne's premier dances.

This is developing into a thought provoking thread.

Boogie Woogie comp? Maybe all the local Boogie Woogie dancers should form their own association. The VRRDA would happy to lend a hand to get them started.

Boogie Woogie music is not necessarily linked to the dance style just 'cos they have the same name.

I have a feeling that Boogie Woogie dancing might have been inspired by some of the scenes featured in the old swing and early Rock movies. They are supposed to represent casual dancing but really these were pro dancers following choreographed steps.

The international body for R'n'R dance is the World Rock'n'Roll Confederation, http://www.wrrc.org/ . Seems to me that this organisation approaches competition dancing from a particularly athletic point of view. See their lifts competitions (they call it aerial and to me I looks nothing like R'n'R) and this style that they have labelled as Boogie Woogie.

Australian R'n'R competition dancing tends to focus on encouraging higher levels of ability in social dancing. The VRRDA aims to enhance and preserve R'n'R as an enjoyable and accessible dance form for everyone.

Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Boogie woogie started in Europe after WW2. It was the european adaption of Swing. The native Italian, German etc copied what they saw the Americans doing. It is interesting in that it is a six count dance suggesting that most americans danced like that and not in a Lindy Hop eight count manner. The boogie woogie style is also called East Coast Swing. Marchus Koch came to Australia some time ago and taught this style. He had classes in Melbourne, Sale and Sydney.

Awesome stuff Clive thanks for sharing. Does anybody remember Terry and Andy Moon that used to go to the old classic, south easterns and such. They used to dance a very similar style. But back in those days it was pub rock or jive and this way would have been seen as a fance jive.

Way too many dance styles to choose from these days :P
    never worry about what someone has to say about you because while they are busy trying to destroy you, you are being exactly what they only wish they could be!