Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ARRAS

Re:ARRAS President to Cheeky

Hi there RnR Phantom,

Thanks for your reply to my posting about Big Beat. I do hope that through this site you can Promote ARRAS and gain ideas to help broaden itÂ’s memberships and participation. As I have mentioned numerous times now I am only a newbie and in saying that trying to work out whatÂ’s out there and what I might like to get involved in. I enjoy many styles of music and agree with the popular idea of the integration of different 50Â’s styles being promoted by ARRAS.

If it wasnÂ’t for VicRock I would have had no idea how huge the Rock n Roll Dance Scene actually is, and believe me not enough people do know about it. As my partner and I got more involved in the dancing and going out to see bands, our friends (over 25, under 40yr olds) were curious about where we went and how much fun we were having and were keen to find out more. As from this Era is the music they had drummed into them as young kids by their parents, music with catchy tunes and easy lyrics to remember. A comment I also often hear is that theyÂ’d love to be able to go out, listen to a band and maybe learn to dance in a friendly atmosphere where it is not dominated by the need for people to be completely intoxicated to enjoy themselves, which is hard to find these days. So hopefully the word keeps travelling around and clubs like your own can gain peoples interest through sites such as Vic Rock and word of mouth from new people entering the scene.

It is a shame you do not have a Website as yet up and running that could give people a better idea of what your club is all about, but I understand it must be difficult with such a small committee with so much on their hands. I guess getting youÂ’re the Information and Concepts of your Club out there is the only real way to get people involved. Anyway thanks for taking the time to comment on my post and give me a little idea about the ARRAS.

Come on, let's not get off the track and let's not get personal about this issue.
    Maryanne (Figjam), because you are on the committee of the ARRAS now, you should be more supportive of the opinion of new comers like Cheekylilshyte...Listen to them, as they ARE, indicative of the younger people that will ensure the survival of the music that we all love.
    Even you, have said that the ARRAS is on the brink of extinction, so it is obvious that the way it has been conducting it'self to date, is not good enough.

Rob Hines has confirmed a lack of interest in the ARRAS, when it comes to contributions and support for it's activities and good on him for saying so.......Rob, now is the time to show people that the culture of the ARRAS is changing and has something to offer that will benefit it's members and their passion for Rock and Roll music and dancing.

The only way the ARRAS is going to be here in another 30 years, is by welcoming, not alienating our newcomers and to embrace a broader scope of activity.

Hey, maybe I am not a member, yet, but give me a good reason to join and I will......Give me an even better reason to contribute to your activities and I will.
    Merry Christmas

Maryann,

Most of the points that you have raised are very valid...After all, that is what a debate is all about.

And, I am sure most would agree how thankless a job it is to be on any committee, or being involved with charities. But I think you are still missing the point....You have to have a passion for the organisation that you volunteer your time and effort too, then it doesn't matter that it is a thankless task....The enjoyment and self fulfillment comes from doing it, not what acclaim you get for it.
    You clearly recognise that fact with your comments about us bands that "do it for the love of it".

What Cheekylilshyte and others are trying to say, is that they might have some ideas that could help save the ARRAS.
    Their response to the Presidents comments that it could be wound up, should be welcomed. Not all, but some of what we all have to say just may contain some desperately needed soluutions.

So far as Big Vinnies goes, it wouldn't worry me....just to have been able to make a contribution is a good enough reason to have been there.....regardless of what people may, or may not say about it.

Come on Maryann, open up your mind and try to take on board what others are prepared to stick their neck out and say...They are only trying to help. :blink:

Re:ARRAS

Lyndon
    Go back to work

Sue... Obviously a Friend of FIGJAM! Need I say More.. same mentality!! You two women really need to sit back and read the original post I made, in fact every post I have made since, as you still do not get the POINT!

I will not stoop to your level and play your silly games for Power! The simple fact is, I made a comment on what I found compared to what I expected to find and queried why ARRAS promoted ONLY Rockabilly Music.. If you two are Too Thick to get that then that is not my problem.

If you do not really want peoples input about how to save ARRAS then do not bother asking for it!

ARRAS

OK cats & Kittens. It's time to lighten up.
    We're all this website due to a love of 50's Rock'n'Roll that has many forms of music. Wether it's classic pop, Rockabilly, ballads, Doo-Wop or whatever, we're all here for the same cause.
    ARRAS is not only for Rockabilly fans, but for all lovers of 50's music. If you go through our magazines, you'll find that there are more articles about the popular artists of the day than there are of the more obscure. The whole agenda, is to broaden peoples knowledge and let them know about ALL artists.
    We have a data base of all articles ever written and can offer copies of these to members for nominal cost (i.e photocopying & postage). This includes, Rickie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Jackie Wilson, Charlie Feathers, Ersel Hickey, Hayden Thompson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkis, Wanda Jackson, Carl Mann, Warren Smith, Johnny Burnette Trio as well as local bands like the Straight 8's, Crackajacks, Flatfoot Shakers, JO'K Lonnie Lee, and the list goes on. In fact, if they recorded Rock'n Roll in the 50's, we'll have articles on them.
    This is what ARRAS is all about. We've supplied many articles for DJ's that are doing specials on particular articles. You can even find copies of our magazine "Big Beat of the 50's" in the state library and the Australian National Library.

As I've said before, I'm more than willing to discuss any issues with any body. My mobile is 0419 148 540.
    Lets all work together to strengthen and share our love of this great music.

I can still remember what RobE said in encouragement for a healthy debate. It is a shame we couldn't have one.

I guess it is time that I said sorry to Cheekylilshyte for the backlash she received for her opinion on the subject of saving the ARRAS and sorry for even bringing the subject up that prompted her desire to contribute.

It is clear to me now, by the response from the President and Vice President, that they are still going to continue with the same agenda that has almost brought them to the point of winding up. I can respect that.

Having said that, in support of a lighter subject, thanks to a reminder from BoomBoom, Merry Christmas to you all and may 2006 bring you health and happiness......Oh, and God save the ARRAS.

Lyndon
    You can take me out of the ARRAS equation. I've told Rob he can find someone else who is willing to help out.
    You have plenty of ideas you like to air back them up with actions. Unless thats all they are, Air.

Hey Lyndon,

Thank you for trying to encourage a Healthy debate about ARRAS's trouble in staying alive, but as we can see obviously they do not wish for HONEST input. It is their assosication and if they wish to take my comments in an offensive manner then that is their choice. Either way Lyndon there is no need for an apology from you as you have done nothing but try and keep the debate on track and off being personal attacks.

Anyway I am tired of going in circles trying to explain my posts. So in saying that all I can say is Good Luck ARRAS!!

Everyone else - Merry Christmas!!

figjam - ARRAS

Well said Utopia,
    Figjam is one of the hardest workers in the scene. Who is there at all the benifit dances, hours and sometimes days before the gig, setting up the hall, doing sound checks, arranging raffles, organising bands and at the end of the night when we're all off to bed, Figjam is there packing up.
    It's a pleasure to know these people.

Essex Guest

Re:figjam - ARRAS

Hey Cheeky - I would like to say "Merry Christmas" to you.

I don't get involved in these 'discussions'. However, you did try to put forward your opinion, and did it for the right reasons. I think I would take offers for 'input' with a grain of salt in future and not bother!

Catch you over the holiday period.

This whole ARRAS thing is a joke. You have made yourselves look really nasty, incompetent and bitchy and no one is going to want to join. If what has been displayed here is the mentality of the majority of the active members then this organization is doomed.

I think we should all support any efforts in getting a gig up and going- be it ARRAS or whoever. Heaven knows we need gigs for dancers, musos, and the public at large who want to hear some live music, rather than sit in front of their home theatres on their increasingly fat arses watching C-grade Hollywood crap and never go out of the house for entertainment.
    A lot of venues die through lack of support - my advice is support venues who dare to have live entertainment- even if the entertainment is not exactly your style...even if you cant dance to every song a particular band is playing. Loosen up people

Happy Christmas eveyone at Vickrock

Re: ARRAS

Hey Essex.. Thanks

And Merry Christmas to you too! See Ya in the New Year!!

ARRAS

Thanks Mike, the misguided dribble from both yourself and Sue only supports my argument.

I donÂ’t see where anyone has knocked the ARRAS members for the hard work they put in yet all they do is defend themselves. What is worrying is the fact that the inflammatory replies were made by mature adults. Why is it that those volatile supporters of ARRAS cannot see that their comments are not doing their organization any good? Who would want to be an active member when what we read here gives us an insight into what some of the other active members are like?

No wonder Lyndon, who was interested enough in ARRAS to start this topic, has since lost interest.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I supported this thread initially, some good suggestions came from the observation of a member of the site.
    Pity its degraged into a slinging match.

Theres no fame,recognition or money whatever in running such events, all you get is satisfaction of a job well done.
    If you are in it other than for the love or looking for something more prepare for dissapointment ..in my humble opinion of course

This thread has identified some of the things that have been concerning the people who think about and care about the institutions that add to the quality of the Classic Rock community in Victoria.

Every human endeavour follows cycles and ups & downs are inevitable. The down part of the cycle just means that things are ready to start to improve again.

But not by themselves! Now is the time for all good people to come to the aid of the party is not just a typing exercise.

You can stay on the sidelines and piss and moan about real and imagined issues or you can get involved by:
    - Joining institutions like ARRAS, the VRRDA and community RockÂ’nÂ’Roll clubs. These are democratically run community organisations. Attend meetings, play a part, have your say.
    - Becoming a community radio subscriber.
    - Making sensible suggestions and not getting annoyed when sensible suggestions are made.
    - Every time you go to a gig thank the band, the DJ and the event organisers.
    - Helping with the cleaning up afterwards.
    - Introduce more people, particularly young ones, to the pleasure of the broad spectrum of RockÂ’nÂ’Roll music and the dancing.
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Well done ROBE.I don,t think cheeky mean't any harm at all

Hello Everyone,
    In the midst of what can be a hustle, bustle, stressy time of year, I hope you're able to find many
    Moments of Peaceful feelings and thoughts and experiences. As you remember the Reason for the Season, and make this year's new Christmas Memories, take some time for Memories of Christmas' Past. Select and savor the ones that bring a smile to your heart. Keep those alive,,, by always remembering.
    My wish is for each of you to 'Have Yourselves A Very Merry RockinÂ’ Little Christmas' ... and a New Year
    filled wiith Health, Peace and Prosperity .... a year that meets your expectations, needs and dreams.
    peace be with you,

Hi Rockers,
    I am brand new to this forum. This is the first web site message board on Rock'n'roll I have posted on I'm on a few email lists on rock'n'roll and record collecting so this is new to me. Email seems easier but I guess I'll get used to it.

Anyway I have heard on the grapevine about all the posts and stuff going on about ARRAS so I thought I would make a couple of comments. I will break them up into 2 separate messages so as we can have different subject lines which are more relevant.

First I have had the chance to read all the messages that have gone back and forth over the last couple weeks, and of course it has given me the chance to sit back and consider each of the statements and replies, sometimes made in quick angry response.

It is unfortunate that sometimes things we think or say verbally don't always come across the same in an email. I'm sure if we were all sitting round a table with a drink, with a band in the background it would all be different. Anyway lets hope a few days of relaxing over Christmas defuses this situation. After all we're all here for the one cause "rock'n'roll".

I sincerely hope Figjam reconsideres her resignation as she is one of the hardest working members we have had on the committee for years.

And I hope that cheekylilshyte is not scared of by a bunch of "grumpy old rockabillies". We're all just people who love the music, we all have slightly different tastes, and different angles on the lifestyle, some collect records, some combine hot rods and music, some dance, some just enjoy all the various genres of 50's music, of which there are many.

So please cheekylilshyte come to another Big Beat and stay the night. Better still get involved and put your hand upto suggest the bands you like. I hope I can meaet up with you at a gig some time.

Just a couple of points on ARRAS and its future.

- As to which bands we have at Big Beat. in years past we have had as many as 8 - 10 bands. Finances and and the changing scene have not made this possible in recent years. Thus the variety is more limited. Keep in mind that there many more gigs for bands playing our music these days, so wehn we try to book a broad selection of styles, it is not always possible because they have other commitments.

- As for The bands at Big Beat )5, in my opinion they were all rock'n'roll, with the closes to rockabilly being Flatfoot Shakers who cheekylilshyte would not have seen as she left early. (Thats not a critisism, just a shame) I'll have more to say in another post about what is rock'n'roll and what is or is not rockabilly in another post.

I have been a strong advocate for getting the "dance crowd" into ARRAS over the past years. We have had a few keen dancers involved but their enthusiasm has fizzled out.

I would like to see the dance clubs work with ARRAS to put on such a gig soon. So C'mon Everybody"

Please remember two things about ARRAS.

It was started 32 years ago by a bunch of dedicated rockers, who had no bands to go see, no record shops to plunder, no internet to buy and communicate and research. The scene has changed vastly over the years, and in part thanks to those guys we have what we have today.

Rob and I have been members for all that time and don't want to see the club, but more importantly we don't want to see the scene die.

There is more to ARRAS than just the Big Beat dance. There is:

The Shake Rattle & Roll radio show on 3CR. If you would like to here different styles on the show get involved.

There is the magazine. if it has too much of one thing or another, submitt your own articles. I rely on the articles which I get to publish. "I'm not a writer, I'm a rocker".

There is or at least has been a web site. If you have some graphic skills help us there.

The main aim of ARRAS is to keep the music alive, and to give something back to the originals who gave us so much, and help the young musicians keep it going.

Scanno.
    Keep on rockin'