03-04-2024 06:30 PM
0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Smile Camperdown Cruise - 2010

The weather gods smiled on Camperdown on the weekend. Driving out of Melbourne on a cold and wet Saturday morning but when approaching Geelong, I could see the thick, black clouds saying good bye & rolling towards the bay with ray of sunshine breaking through the clouds by the time I drove into the main street in Camperdown.

What a fabulous weekend at the Camperdown Cruise! There were hot rods, customs & vintage bikes lining the service road running through the town centre along with 1950’s theme merchandise stores. It was like peak hour, Collins Street traffic jam with people crowding the street checking out the activities on offer. Even the local TV crew was busy filming a live fashion catwalk right in the middle of the town. It’s reminiscence of Wintersun in parts for me.

The main action for rockers was of course taking place at the Hampden hotel and the historic Theatre Royal. My first port of call was lunch at the Hampden hotel where Sky Rockets took to the stage. The chicken kiev I had was very good but Sky Rockets were better. There was no designated dance floor there but you couldn’t stop rockers having a good time even if you try as they cleverly found dance space in between the stage and dining tables.

Next up - the Theatre Royal with the “Real Gone Cats”, a rockabilly outfit I haven’t seen before. Real cool cats too, especially the performance from the double bass player, pumping out faster pace rockabilly but thoroughly enjoyable rockin’ music. Then walking down the main street, I couldn’t help but be distracted by the unmistakable sounds of the Longbilly boys who were playing in the open stage right under the Clock Tower. Could life get any better enjoying fresh air and sunshine in Camperdown and being entertained by live bands, dancing and spending quality time with fellow rockers from Melbourne?

More live performances followed with Itchy Fingers and Ignition taking to the stage, and rockers to the dance floor. I haven’t seen Itchy Fingers for a little while but the band sounds better & a lot more exciting with the addition of sax in the band. I should also mention that the Theatre Royal was sectioned off for the weekend into a “rockabilly” room and a “rock & roll” room with the latter catering for dance demo, workshop, DJs and a live rock & roll band stimulating lots of dancing by the “petticoats & bowling shirt” brigade.

The afternoon finished off with a gala 1950’s style fashion parade by Vivian of Holloway. I felt like being transported back 50 years in time as the models, including the very lovely Denise who is a regular at Monash & the Gully, drew applause & lots of “oohs and aahs” from the crowd. Maybe next year, they‘ll have a parade of 1950’s men’s fashion as well.

There was much talk over dinner about the extravaganza coming up in the evening. Truly it was great rockin’ night! Jump n Jive started of proceedings to give the rockers a “royal” performance they won’t forget for a very time. The huge dance floor was packed like a sardine can as rockers take to the floor to dance the night away. Action was also coming in thick & fast in the “rock & roll” room. Next up was the Rechords with their very distinctive “hill billy” twangy style. I love their music and they looked so cool on stage. It was very obvious the band attracts the young rockabilly kittens too.

This was followed by the main draw cards for the night – first up, the Straight 8’s who gave a virtuoso performance of unadulterated rockabilly music. By now, the Theatre Royal was packed to standing room only leaving precious, little space for dancing. But no one seems to mind as everyone was too busy having a great time, drinking, chatting and being mesmerised by the band on stage. If you thought Sammy was good with Jump n Jive, he was unforgettable doing a tribute of Richie Valance. You could see all the female species swooning over him as he sung all the favourites, especially “Donna” and “La Bamba”. The whole night felt incredibly electric, and there was magic in the air, as many punters partied well into the early morning hours and long after Ignition finished off the night.

Patches of brilliant sunshine one day, perfect the next on a Sunday morning in Camperdown. The crowd seems much bigger this morning, with many more people taking to the main street to “attend church service” and being blessed by hot rods and rockabilly gods on stage under the Clock Tower, including Jump n Jive, Rechords, Itchy Fingers & Real Gone Cats. And there was lots more action to be had at the Theatre Royal and the Hampden hotel. What a great weekend! Great to see lots of rockers from Melbourne too – Steve & Sue, Lorenza, Janet, Marie, Mandy, Chrissie, Roknray, Jazza, Icon, Hotrodgirl, Rhonda, Bluseybob and Pat, Ballarat rockers like John & Vinnie and Tasmania’s very own “Mr & Mrs Rock & Roll” Daz & Wilma. I understand this year’s Camperdown Cruise was bigger and better than last year. Money raised on the weekend all goes towards redeveloping the Camperdown hospital’s midwifery unit. Well done to Arthur and the organising committee.

My wish list for next year’s event? Well, putting down a temporary dance floor at the open stage under the Clock Tower would encourage more dancers to take to the floor. Maybe also dance workshops and demos on the main street to stimulate more public participation and attract the passing traffic driving through the town. Last but not least, including a swing band or two such as Dirty Boogie Band, Lucky Seven Swing, Benny & the Flyby Niters or Frankie Wants Out, the Detonators or even a country rock band like Black Hill Ramblers may well bring in more people to attend the Camperdown Cruise.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Jitterbug; 24-11-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Re: Camperdown Cruise - 2010

Camperdown this year was a real winner. Great selection of bands, excellent venues, big dance floors, lots of merchandising stalls, and just the right number of rodders, dancers, families, and rock-rockabilly enthusiasts.

The whole lot has been captured on video that will be available on a dvd the organisers are putting together, as well as Fletch from 'Classic Restos' doing interviews.

Congratulations to Arthur and everyone involved in getting this festival up and running to such a high standard in just 3-4 years.

Next year promises to show even more improvement, with international rockabilly bands being booked to appear.

One to keep on your calendar for next year.
    Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt

Thumbs up Re: Camperdown Cruise - 2010

Yes Folks, the Camperdown Cruise was a real blast. Putting it into one word that was used frequently over the weekend `Amazing`. I was very impressed that such a small town could put on such a top notch rockabilly and Hotrod festival, and it had all the right ingredients to be the great rocking weekend that it turned out to be. I thank the organizers for a job well done. It`s a big job to put on these festivals but it looked like everything came together and run very smoothly. I didn`t speak to one person who had a complaint, everyone was happy, enthusiastic, friendly and out to have a real good time. I`m sure this past weekend has guaranteed success for 2011, which by the sounds of it will be even bigger with bands possibly coming from interstate and overseas.

The bands were all very enthusiatic and this rubbed off onto the dancers and those just listening to the music. The Friday night dance had a very good turn up, and Saturday night was packed to capacity. Rock and rollers mixed with rockabilly folk, greasers, hotrodders and locals. The hi-light for me was the Jam session held as the finale at the dance on the Saturday night. Pure magic !. I`m so glad I witnessed it, I was so proud to think we have such wonderful musicians here in Australia.

Over the weekend the streets in Downtown Camperdown were lined with hotrods, Classics, retro merchandise stalls, and plenty of eateries were available with yummy food. The local pubs were buzzing, and the locals were trying to take in the magnitude of such an occasion in their usually quiet town.

Yes I agree with Jittabug, maybe a dance floor under the clocktower which will encourage more dance participation during the day. And perhaps think of camping facilities for next year, as accommodation was pretty tight this year. If this is going to grow more accommodation will be required. So be like me and book early or you could miss out, and see you there next year !!

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Cannot add much more to Jitz, Steve & JiverJ’s comments on Camperdown 2010. I enjoyed catching up with my rodder mates and met some friendly people over the weekend. I also put a face to VicRock member roknray who made himself known to me. We shared a few jokes then I introduced him to Icon and Jitterbug. Camperdown was certainly an experience and a laugh a minute. Well done organisers.
    Oh! … Almost forgot Bugs and JiverJ … here’s a clip of you guys jumpin’ around a bit.
    Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R_Vj3U5ypk
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Even though I could only make down to Camperdown on the Sunday it was still a blast. I meet some people that have been in my rock n roll life via Vic rock .Thanks guys for the warm and pleasant welcome. Shows like this are good for all the right reasons. The cars and the music take us back to times we either remember with fondness or wished we were a part of. The bands I got to listen to at the clock tower were spot on and I heard so many people saying it was just fantastic the whole weekend and now I,m sorry I missed it . Also these weekends are filled with people we may only get to see at festivals like this and then it,s like we see them every week. As I said the day for me was a blast. To be amoungst so many people that are there for the exact same reason rock n roll and hotrods is amazing. Thanks Arthur for all your very hard work ,what a credit to you. Any chance of getting the Corpse Grinders back for next year.
    That,ll be the day the music die,s

Smile Re: Camperdown Cruise - 2010

Thanks Jazza for the video. Wasn't it a fantastic exhibition of rockabilly dancing by Donna & (sorry don't know his name)? They looked pretty cool in their rockers outfit too.

Great to meet Roknray in person for the first time. Must have a beer together next time .........

I like Jiver J's suggestion of camping facilities there if accommodation continues to be restricted in Camperdown. No fun travelling 45 kms back and forth especially after a late night of dancing.

I think the guy's name is Sam, from Adelaide.

He used to dance with Donna, and there is a clip of them together on youtube when they were dancing at Wintersun last year. (Donna visited at the Monash a few months ago.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqip-XFsME4

I note that the description under the youtube clip refers to Mick and Donna, so maybe the info I had about his name being Sam was wrong? In any case, he knows how to move!

Not sure of his new partner's name, but she is also a top dancer.

They are one of the best rockabilly dance couples I have seen.

Another clip from the cruise........ Paul and Sue dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkTYbhv6rE
    Last edited by Steve; 27-10-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks Steve for the videos. I must say Sue danced so well, and she made me looked good on the dance floor ........

What is the date for Camperdown next year?

Pat Capocci is booked to be at the Camperdown Cruise on 21 October 2011, so I guess it will be Friday 21 October through to Sunday 23 October 2011.

I had a luverly time at Camperdown on the Sat - first time going and took the folks who had a ball! Already booked for next year - many accom places already full too!

Looking forward to catching more bands in 2011 and having a dance.

A bit more of the Camperdown weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGsfmgU7xQc

Well done Jazza B de mill . Your film recordings of the rock scene is legendary .Great stuff.

I don't think so Icon but I must say that you gave a sterling performance in the clip. I can see some sort of major award coming your way. Not for your acting, but the fact that you did some physical work on camera. Goodonya!

Smile Re: Camperdown Cruise - 2010

Awww jeeze Jazz. Its just your camera work that makes me look like im working.... Now I know why you are Generally the most liked guy in rock n roll.
    Can you spot me fifty?

For anyone interested in all that classic fine-iron at the Camperdown cruise this year, you can re-live the experience through the Channel 31 show, ‘Classic Restos’ hosted by Mark Fletcher (Fletch). There are interviews with a few car builders plus an interview with Arthur ... the creator of this event.
    Here is the link to that particular Camperdown Cruise episode. There may be an ad at the start of the show. Press play on the screen and enjoy!
    http://www.c31.org.au/episode/episod...v&episode=9430

Here's some more of the good oil from Camperdown...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM7bTRhp4QU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3vD8xrqAuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wADZV0Inmbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z5c42320oU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYjh67mkWEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCrPAT5CaSs

WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND!!! BIG THANKS TO ARTY!!!
    Cheers to everybody who went to Camperdown and all our friends we caught up with. See you all in Camperdown next year!
    Daz & Wilma
    PS. I've sent Arty an exclusive 12 minute video of all the bands on stage filmed at the finish on the Saturday night.
    PPS. The Fender Benders are appearing for the Tassie Rockers in Launceston on Saturday night December 4th. All welcome.
    Details at: http://www.tassierockers.com

Jitterbug what can I say but thank you for all the kind words, it’s like opening night and you wait till the paper comes out to read the reviews, Thank you to everyone who came and to all the other posts on here it means a lot to me to hear that you all enjoyed the festival, I am working on a dance floor for the clock tower stage with a very good friend of mine, and the shire are making more room at the caravan park for more vans and camping and also looking into the football ground for camping as they have the showers and toilets there, had a meeting with the CEO of the shire last Monday and they are right behind me now which I am also very happy about... The dates are 21st-23rd October 2011 and proud to say we have Miss Mary Ann and the Ragtime Wranglers ... If I knew how to post a picture I have the new flyer done already for next year.. Any helpers please?
    Our web site will be updated very soon and also have a face book group Camperdown Cruise Rockabilly Weekend come and join up and keep in touch and also if you people want to be on my mailing list please email me at arty66@bigpond.com and I will keep you all in tune with updates...
    Thank you every one once again for all your kind words and so happy every one had a blast.... (no Corpse Grinders Ray sorry)
    Cheers
    Arthur

Re: Camperdown Cruise - 2011

Arty asked me to post up the flyer for next year (2011). If a moderator could post it up in a more prominent position, maybe on the front page it would be greatly appreciated. Daz