01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Rockabilly scene in Melbourne?

I currently live in Brisbane but may possbily be moving back to Melbourne in the New Year.

I discovered the Rockabilly scene this year, and absolutely love it! I started Rockabilly dance lessons and going to Rockabilly & Rock'n'Roll gigs. I especially love dressing up in '50's style outfits to go to a live Rockabilly gig.

Is there much of a Rockabilly scene in Melbourne? Whilst it's not huge in Brisbane, there is a definite 'scene' with several gigs every month where the usual crowd appear, usually dressed up in their 1950's outfits and hairstyles. It's very social & friendly, and you get to know the regulars after turning up to a few gigs.

So I am trying to find out about the scene in Melbounre - where I can do Rockabilly dance lessons (prefereable inner city area); where regular Rockabilly gigs are held & suggestions on where to find out about these (apart from on this website!) and if there are any Rockabilly social clubs.

thanks!

Re: Rockabilly scene in Melbourne?

Hello,
    Ive just moved to Melbourne from Sydney and need to get my 50's fix!
    After flying to Brisbane last December to scout around for a Rockabilly scene, I was fortunate to discover that the scene is alive and well, and much respect to Lori Lee for all her efforts in organising shows etc. As fun as it was, I couldnt resist the lure of Melbourne and have decided to move here instead. Anyway, Ive been here for 3 days and would welcome any suggestions on where the bands are playing and where the bikers reside.
    Thanks

Wink Re: Rockabilly scene in Melbourne?

hi incontrast,i can recommend a couple of venues where rockabilly bands play,and on a saturday night too,the straight eights are currently playing at the monash hotel on princess highway near blackburn road,and the fern tree gully hotel on the burwood highway are hosting the flying saucers sunday arvo,kick off around four pm..thats for this weekend,alternate bands play at these venues every weekend,lots of other?venues,inner city,st kilda,brunswick,so a good variety of places to go,check the gig guide calendar above or grab a monthly rock n roll book...good luck.terry.

Thanks Tezza,
    This is my first time in Melbourne, and if first impressions are anything to go on, then Ive made the right choice in moving here...Damn I love this city!
    Thanks again :-)

Checkout the "Melbourne Rockabilly" page on Facebook also for weekly gig details.

Thanks Scootergirl:-)