01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Smile "Blitz" Parties - Revival of the Swing Era

I recently wrote about the revival of social “partner” dancing after John Travolta’s movie – “Saturday Night Fever” and speculated about something similar happening in the future for rock & roll dancing and the bringing together of Baby Boomers and Gen X&Y.

Well, blow me down! It seems something is really happening amongst London party goers who are donning grandmother’s flora dresses and World War 2 army uniforms and heading to selected underground air shelters again but only this time to enjoy an evening of partying and dancing to swing music, champagne cocktails and other 1940’s nostalgia. Known as “Blitz” parties, held every 4 to 5 weeks in a different location, it has been billed as an evening with community spirit and has drawn thousands of people keen to party the night away.

As an alternative, and in a move away from the mainly uninspiring modern day clubs, promoters have selectively picked “Blitz” party venues to give an authentic wartime bunker feel and kitted out with 1940’s memorabilia including sand bags, oil lamps, ration books & military bunker beds. Swing bands and performers then bring the night alive with sounds from the bygone era.

And don’t think anyone can just pay and go in to party. To preserve the authentic 1940’s mood & feel, entry to the events are restricted to those who have made an effort to dress in clothing from that era in time and that means red lipstick, head scarves & brightly coloured flora dresses or penciled shaped skirts for the ladies, and for the guys fedora hats or slacks with braces and military uniforms.

Wonder if something similar could happen in the near future reviving the music, dance, culture & fashion of the 1950’s era?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1006partee[1].jpg‎
Views:	266
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	3744  
    Last edited by Jitterbug; 11-06-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Re: "Blitz" Parties - Revival of the Swing Era

Wow this sounds great! If only London wasn't so far away!

I sure hope something kicks off and gets more people Rockin' I really hate to think of our fabulous Rock n Roll dying out with the oldies..

I would really love to see some kind of 50's wonderland built somewhere, like movieworld etc but everything 50's style- oh wouldn't it be brilliant!!!

Smile Re: "Blitz" Parties - Revival of the Swing Era

A 1950's wonderland? Just like a "movieland" theme park? Yeah - brilliant indeed!!! Hey Rockin Sweetheart - you talk and think like an entrepreneur. You are not already a business woman, are ya? LOL

And why not? There's Ballarat's Sovereign Hill so something similar with an entertainment plus nostalgia theme park package incorporating all things 1950's with music, dance, cars & hotrods, fashion, arts & culture, period home wares display, movie characters of that era and activities that visitors, young & old, could take part in etc

It takes an idea (and later lots of $$$$$, effort & luck) to transform it to future business reality - so I 'll live in hope.