01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Smile End of Wintersun at Coolangatta?

Yes - it's official the next Wintersun event will be at Port Macquarie but I understand there is a growing agitation at the grass root level on Facebook to continue a "theme" event at Cooly. It seems there was even a meeting held earlier this week of various parties including supporters, police, councils, local businesses etc aimed at continuing a "theme" event there next year.

May not be called "Wintersun" but there's a real chance something will continue to take place in Cooly ........it will be interesting to see what will transpire in the weeks and months ahead.

Re: End of Wintersun at Coolangatta?

May NOT be the end of Wintersun. The Name may change....but if the locals can keep it going 'UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT' then it could / maybe get even bigger & better & more well organised....'a new broom sweeps clean'!!!

my 2 c worth
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

This article by Lori Lee appeared in the latest newsletter from the organisers of Greazefest (see www.robot.com.au | www.greazefest.com)

'If you haven't heard the news by now, Wintersun, as we currently know it, will be moving to Port Macquarie in 2011. The announcement from Wintersun states that the Festival Committee has entered into an agreement with Events NSW to stage the Wintersun Festival in regional NSW for initially the next three years. An unusual part of the deal is that Wintersun will not remain in the same location for two years in a row.

The more recent news is that a new event is currently being created to replace the departing festival and will kick off in June 2011. The new festival will be established in the same Coolangatta / Tweed district and it will retain the rock'n'roll / hot rod theme. As is the tradition, it will be held over the Queen's birthday long weekend.

There's nothing like a bit of change to start the cycle over again. My personal view is that this change could be a win / win. The current Wintersun will start their now traveling road show in Port Macquarie and other NSW areas in future years, to the benefit of the central coast hot rod and rockabilly scene. The new festival in Coolangatta / Tweed will give the council and businesses an opportunity to start afresh and retain the Queensland and northern NSW hot rodders, market stall holders, musicians, audience members and those that have made being in Cooly in early June and annual ritual.'
    Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt

Yes it is sad that this is the last year for Wintersun at Coolangatta, i myself have been a regular for many years, and always look forward to it.
    It's a shame that it had to move, but alas all of a sudden i am reading that the Council, Police and Business owners have finally realised how much they have to lose. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    It's amazing that we managed to put up with all the rising costs of all the accomodation and everything else up there to help support this Festival, however, if the council, police and business owners had of realised what they were loosing it might have been a different outcome.
    This has been in the pipeline for a few years, and now that it is moving they want to try and have there own there. GOOD LUCK i say, it takes a lot of hard work and determination to pull it off, let's hope they have the decency to not have it on the same weekend as Wintersun, because WINTERSUN has been running on that weekend for now going onto the 22nd year?
    I say to Barry and staff thanks for all the great years of WINTERSUN COOLANGATTA, i now look forward to supporting you wherever Wintersun is taken too.

I hope everyone who has enjoyed wintersun over the years stops and considers where their loyalties lie before commiting to go to an alternative festival in Collangatta next year, instead of supporting wintersun in Port Macquarie.

The wintersun committe has tried to get the Coolangatta community to support them over the years, have threatened to move if they didn't kick in, and have finally followed thru with the threats. And now when the horse has bolted they realise how it will affect their hip pockets and are trying to get an alternate going. Too little, too late I think!! They have reaped the benifits for many years without supporting the organisers, charged exhorbitant prices and sat back and counted the money without putting in any effort.

I hope all the rock n roll community show their support to the hard working wintersun committe, try the new location and vote with their dollars and teach the Coolangatta community the value of their support. Tweed Heads is one of the 3 towns in NSW that is being considered for 2012 according to the program so it may well return. I think it is a good thing to move the festival so the Coolangatta community can realise what they have lost thru their lack of support and hopefully will be willing to bend over backwards to get it back there. If the wintersun followers are split between Port Macquarie and Coolangatta then there may not be enough patronage for either festival to be a success and I for one think we should all be supporting the wintersun committee who are moving the festival to try and share the profits around and maybe give it a new life.

A change is always a good thing and the people of Port Macquarie are really keen to welcome us all to their town so I hope everyone supports the move and we can collectively teach Coolangatta how valuable the rock and roll community is to their hip pocket. I bet after a quiet long weekend they will be begging for wintersun to return!!

So true,lets not jump of the wagon that has entertained us for so many years.We must also remember that wintersun is not only about the music .It,s the friends we only get to catch up with once a year,the different bands we only hear at Wintersun but it,s also about the cars.If the cars are going to be at Wintersun from Victoria it will make it harder to get to Port Macquarie .In the past we had a choice to either drive up ( at fuel costs that would blow a food budget of a average family for the year)or freight it up at less than half the fuel costs.Port Macquarie to us is out of the question because of the fuel.It will be a rock n roll show that will hopefully work .I hope it is a huge success for rock n roll sake but the cars are needed .We travel to Barham every year and havent missed it since it began.We go for the music only even though we drive our hotrod to the event.Every year there seems to be more cars turning up which lets face it adds to the atmosphere and something else to do.At Wintersun you can walk around Cooly and even those people that dont own a hotrod or never entertained the thought of owning one still take the time out to look.I,m very disappointed Wintersun has moved for all reasons we all know about now,but Barry if your reading this and the other posts then you know you have our suppport but not our cars until it moves back to the tweed.
    That,ll be the day the music die,s

Slightly off the topic but did anyone see the current affair segment tonight on the increasing violence problems at Coolangatta? I hadn't noticed any issues at night durring Wintersun in the past but after what I saw tonight I will be looking over my shoulder and avoiding groups of youths at night. Another plus for Port Macquarie?

Your right Joceb about the violence at Cooly but its always been there .I always felt safe walking about the streets at night up until 3 years ago.There were groups of youths hanging about all over and I wondered then about the security of the cars.Well 5 cars were stolen last year and have yet to be found.It,s so sad to think how of how far we have come in life to have it all crushed by the new breed of Aussie,so full of anger and booze.Port Macquarie will have its youth problem as we do here in our home town and quite possibly in yours.Just take a bit more notice of what going on around and you will be OK
    That,ll be the day the music die,s

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hmm.. Reading all the opinions on this topic has really opened my eyes to a lot of things, there are supporters, which is good and there are people with different points of view, which are all relevant, and obviously,Wintersun means so much to so many in various ways... From my prospective and Mine alone, I have worked at Wintersun twice in the last 4 years, which is not a lot but can I give you a different point of view?... 1 arrive Coolangatta 6.30 am to hotel by 8.00am.. street stage gig @ 10.00am, Turn up NO PA..No gig... 2 street stage gig other end of town... No stage..3 Day 2 street parade float be there by 8.00 am.. And you are ?... / Street stage, be there by 12.00... err what stage ?
    Day 3 Wooo hoo we got a 45 min set in... Hence you play for peanuts and then to top it off, no opportunity to sell product... Call Barry 40 times, finally answers phone.. Having a bad day boys?.... And this shows going on the Road ?.. Umm Good luck with your projects... Written by me, sponsored by no-one...

Good point Frank, and one that those enjoying the music and atmosphere would have no idea about. I can imagine it would be very frustrating for the bands when this sort of thing happens. On the other hand I can well imagine what a nightmare it would be to organise such a big event and co-ordinate so many different bands in so many spots so there is bound to be things that are forgotten. A big job for all the bands, performers and the volunteer organisers each year so how lucky are we that you all put in so much effort so the music and atmosphere lives on. Life would be so boring if no one made the effort to keep these things going.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Joceb don't get me wrong, I didn't set out to upset the apple cart by posting my comments,the thing is, Wintersun has become so big that I think the organisers can no longer run a runaway train, from what I hear the committee, had lost the support from the locals for what ever reason, Wether thats right or not I dont know, but to run this sort of show you need lots of heads, and lots of support from local business and community. Coolangatta apparently are considering running the same show, which tells me, all was not well...
    Personally, I have heard many private comments that, have said, nar I'm not chasing Wintersun all over the country, then again some will, I am more inclined to think that the Coolangatta option will actually work.. Why? local government, services, and local business support.... They will all be involved in the setting up of such a festival, they already know what's involved, all they need is a name, a festival body, the place has a track record, and you'll find, more venues will come on board as there will be incentives, a fresh outlook, new ideas, and because it would be run by the city I can imagine what they will be willing to do, advertising will be massive, and the response will be just as big, as this festival would bring in the Dollars to the area and to local business.. Just my thoughts, that's all