01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Flash Mob Dance - Yes, We Did It!!!

Melbourne’s “Flash Mob” Rock & Roll Dance – Yes, we did it today! As if like following the biblical commandment, we faithfully went forth to four corners of the CBD to sow some rock & roll seeds in Melbourne. And who knows, one day we may yet reap the harvest of our labour to bring forth more rock & rollers to the world.

Having followed the weather forecast during the week, I was feeling apprehensive that rain might dampen our flash dance. Oh, ye man of little faith – fear not, because the weather gods are with us today and we had a bright, sunny day! We, a group of 50 to 60 dancers representing a good cross section of younger and more mature dancers, met up at the Southern Cross train station as planned. Erin, the young journalist student from RMIT was already there to report on the flash dance. The TV stations, radios and mainstream print media might be hiding in a corner somewhere but just in case, we had our resident video operator and a number of photographers to the rescue.

A quick sound check of my CD player – and horror of horrors! The street noise at the train station was a lot louder than I expected. But we soldiered on irrespective. At the appointed time, music (Straycat’s Summertime Blues) was played and Joceb & Charles got the ball rolling with the rest joining in concert. I had planned to have just one dance there anticipating train security personnel to move us on but ended dancing to 3 songs. We felt triumphant after that!

Moving a further 20 meters down the station, we gathered at the steps to have our group photo taken before embarking on another couple of dances. Then it was off to Bourke Street Mall in front of the GPO. There was a substantially much bigger lunch time crowd there. The crowd was appreciative and I could see some of them reaching for their cameras and mobile phones to capture what we were doing. It felt great to be appreciated!

Federation Square – the next destination in our conquest to capture the hearts of the unconverted rock & roll public. If Bourke Street Mall was crowded, imagine the Federation Square as representing a Grand Final day at the MCG! There were people, people everywhere as we search for a spot to do our flash dance. Again, we did 2 dances before setting off to the Holy Grail – under the clocks at Flinders Street Station. All the dancers by now were pumped for one last effort. I believe it was our best dance there. The atmosphere was good and again the crowd was appreciative. Cameras and mobile phones were rolling and some of the younger ones even joined us, jiggling amongst the dancers. It felt really good when we finished and there was clapping and shouting in triumph knowing that we have finally made history in Melbourne – doing the first rock & roll flash mob dance here.

Some of us journeyed on to Young & Jackson as planned, and Straight 8s were already playing to a big crowd there. But no one was dancing to the music until the flash mob dancers arrived. We immediately hit the dance floor and I am sure to the amazement of the crowd there. Alas! We had another “flash mob” dance experience at Young & Jackson. For those who haven’t been to Young & Jackson – well, it has a great atmosphere & felt cosy inside. Pity only a carpet dance floor but today, Straight 8s were pumping out those raw, southern rockabilly tunes that we dancers love so much. Indeed, Straight 8s added much to our already wonderful day of flash mob dancing in Melbourne.

Flash mob videos and photos coming soon. In the meantime, anyone for the next round of flash mob dancing in Melbourne?

Re: Flash Mob Dance - Yes, We Did It!!!

What a fun day!! Didn't get home till nearly 7 as we stayed until the end dancing to Straight 8's. Carpet at Young & Jacksons was very smooth to dance on and such great music!!! Every mob dancer I spoke to is keen to do it again, maybe an annual event, and maybe with a big lead in time we can organise power and get some really loud music.

Thanks to all who joined in and made it such a great day. Video is uploading at the moment but will take an hour or more and then I'll post the youtube link. Might need some help working out how to imbed the clip on vicrock and how to get some photos on as well. Maybe you can PM me Paul with some instructions. Thanks MR Music for lugging the cd player around the city. Watching the video we had some purple haired hippies join in the dancing and lots of spectators enjoying the show.

Jocelyn

Hey Joceb, my chief partner in crime! LOL.

It wouldn't have happened without you putting in all those special efforts in organising and planning for the flash mob dance event. So a big thank you!

Once it's on Youtube, text me ..... and I 'll load it on Vicrock, Facebook, Myspace and whatever. I 'll load some photos when I get some time later in the week.

Yes - it has been a great day!!

without blowing here,we had an absolute ball!in the city streets today,and what a breath of fresh air!to visit our beautiful city,and freak the natives out!lol...everything went off like clockwork,met lots of friendly rockers!put faces to handles,and everyone who attended?congrats!you were all smilin,dancing very classy indeed,considering we were on concrete tiles most of the arvo,jitterbug!great organizing,and spirit!as a dj?your fired!lol...na,just kiddin,but that one amp cd players gotta go...my one good ear was saying?kick into gear!yur outta step, jocelyn,well done as co organizer,and many thanks to your friends for the pics and videos done...so? a great fun afternoon,and any future random dances in the city will!only get better,then the icing on the cake,we retired to the young and jackson hotel for some ales,good food,but most of all?a party!the straight eights were rockin!we repaid the band and the noisy crowd with some dancing on the carpet!3pm till the encore at just after six pm...not just rocknrollers on the carpet either,slightly tipsy locals,one young lass who probably got taught ballerina?lost the plot somewhere along the line !but she was havin a ball!even introduced herself on stage while the eights never missed a beat,very amusing!but?sadly as we were leavin the hotel,two heavy handed coppers decided she was out of it?and roughly grabbed her,and were publicly searchin her backpack for some white powder,or some greenies...bit uncool i thought,but?im too old to be a hero these days,but,all in all,thank you all the rockers who turned up,we had a ball.tezza... ps,whats the name of that lady hangin on the wall in the upstairs room of the young and jackson again?the one with no fuzz?lol...

Youtube clip finally up - only took 2hrs . I've posted the one from the Bourke St mall as you could actually hear the music, couldn't hear it on the other videos with all the street noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mmkAd8dTw4

Didn't seem to have everyone dancing as some were taking a rest and watching, but you get the idea of what it was all about.

Thanks Jitterbug if you can paste it on here. Photos are all too big for the posts so will have to work out how to resize them, but maybe you took enough to put yours on here.

Hey Tezza, that girl must have been on something pretty strong and could hardly stand by the time we left, but she'd danced the whole time, or should I say wobbled backwards and forwards from one side of the pub to the other, crashing into us lots of times. Did you see the purple haired hippy couple join in under the clocks? And the young girls wiggling up next to Jitterbug, doing a lot of gyrating . Will send you the photo of you and Chloe next week - fancy forgetting her name when you got soooo close

Must make the effort to go into the city next time a good band is on at Young & Jacksons, and it only cost $3.10 for a sunday saver train ticket - cheap, much better than driving in and paying for parking. Great atmosphere and great company! A very succesful day and well worth all the effort to organise.

See you all on a dance floor soon.
    Cheers

Smile Re: Flash Mob Dance - Yes, We Did It!!!

Love the video, Joceb!!!! Thank you ........and will try to put on some pictures here later this week.

Lots of nice dance moves & the dancers with smiling & happy faces. That's what flash mob rock & roll dancing's about. Having lots of fun and promoting the dance & music that we all love so much.

Let's hope we can do it all over again one day later in the year.

Here are some photos of the mob dance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	flinder st 2.jpg‎
Views:	125
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	3454   Click image for larger version

Name:	flinder st 3.jpg‎
Views:	124
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	3455  

And some more photos

Name:	mall 1.jpg‎
Views:	132
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	3456   Click image for larger version

Name:	mall 2.jpg‎
Views:	132
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	3457  

More photos from Bourke St mall and a group shot of the mob, although a few were missing - a bit camera shy?

Name:	mob dance mall.jpg‎
Views:	117
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	3458   Click image for larger version

Name:	The mob.jpg‎
Views:	144
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	3459  

More photos from Flinders St station

Name:	flinders st 1.jpg‎
Views:	104
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	3460   Click image for larger version

Name:	flinders st 4.jpg‎
Views:	108
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	3461  

More photos

Name:	fed square.JPG‎
Views:	125
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	3462   Click image for larger version

Name:	mall triples.jpg‎
Views:	121
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	3463  

Here's another video of the mob dance in Federation Square.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNHT0-p4iOc

Hey Jitterbug, maybe you can link the youtube clip from rrolldude onto this page from his post so they are all together?

More photos from mob dance. Young & Jacksons where the mob enjoyed dancing to the Straight 8's and also Federation square where we stole the audience from a busker for a while.

Name:	Young & Jacksons 1.JPG‎
Views:	103
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	3469   Click image for larger version

Name:	fed square.JPG‎
Views:	96
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	3470  

Clip of some of the mob dancing to the Straight 8's at Young & Jacksons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERBNExp5Ka4

Well the Mob dancers really caused some talk amongst the punters. i would think my friend Paul will have to have shoulders of a weight lifter to carry the gear needed for the next episode of Mob dancing,thanks to Jocelyn and all for a story to tell of how rockn roll is truly a wonderful happy sport. Till we meet again,,,,, and again and again.