Last post by Rockintones
01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

slam rally!saving live music in melbourne and australia.

anybody in the know?on the slam rally tuesday,23.2.2110,in melbourne city at around 4pm,a gathering of musos,bands,music lovers and general public in protest at impending new laws from state government that coud potentially?shut down alot of our live gigs and venues,in melbourne,and id say right across australian states in the near future,if ya not workin?got a spare coupla hours and a dime in your pocket,jump in your rod,ride or train and help support this worthy cause...http://www.slamrally.org/

Thumbs up Re: slam rally!saving live music in melbourne and australia.

So did anybody go rallyin for this worthy cause today? I was checkin out the "Aunty" channel on the radio who were following proceedings at the base of Parliament House. The reporter said there would have been in the vicinity of 15 THOUSAND punters, musos and anyone who's anybody for the love of music supporting and rallying for the protection and continuation of the live music scene in Victoria.
    A sad day when the music died at the Tote in Collingwood. Live music lovers/ performers/musos and sympathetic independent venue operators have had to endure at least 2 other major "predators" of the music scene - the Pokies and the "Family pub/playground". Now we have a 3rd monster to deal with: Liquor Licencing Laws!!!
    GOOD ONYA! I say...to Mr Brumby for at least having a crack at fronting this foe...to at least bring about an adjustment to the law, so that the smaller live music venues will not have to die off one by one as the costs of running extra security personnel (2 big bruisers NOT always necessary!) cripple their businesses.
    The people of Melbourne have spoken LOUD & CLEAR!
    Will be interesting to see the outcome...

Ms M
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Re: slam rally!saving live music in melbourne and australia.

I went along from start to finish -a great turnout and a great vibe amongst the people of all ages who were all there supporting the cause for live music in Melbourne and getting the stupid LLC laws modified.
    It's a bit sobering speaking to people at the rally, as you hear of how many small venues have closed or stopped putting on bands in recent times as a result of the regulations which require them to hire security if an amplified act is on, as it is then deemed a high-risk venue!! Basically smaller venues just scrape in enough to pay a band, but then to pay security as well, just means something has to go, and it's the live entertainment.
    You know you're living in great city when people take up the cause and march for rock&roll!!

thumbs up steveo for supporting a great cause,unfortune it for myself as i got called to do a 12 hour shift for work,so coudnt get there,but did hear thru the grapevine it went down well indeed,alot of the local pubs woud have benefitted as well,as most musos woud have relaxed over an ale or two later on...i cant quite grasp?the connection on having two security present,if an amp happens to blow its cool!,and cause chaos!im sure everyone knows where the door is,and you dont need a big bouncer(i mean security) holding the bloody door open,most bands are mature enough to look after there gear,and have a sound mixer as well...bloody government idiots sitting on there high chairs,typing up silly rules.and probably never been to a live gig in there whole lives!security are generally there for one thing,making sure patrons arent spilling piss over the pool tables,and each other.lol...good to see ya back on steveo,id wondered where you had got to,tezza.

Thanks Tezza

I was speaking to a part owner of a pub in East Melbourne - their licence fees went from $1,000 to $30,000 in one hit. Yes you read those figures right. That dosent then inlude the hiring of extra security and so on. What is this stupid Government doing, this sort of fee structure can only kill live bands because no small pub of venue can afford this sort of hike.
    I wrote to my local member in protest. I cant tell you what the reply was because (now this will shock ya) I never got one !

Talking Re: slam rally!saving live music in melbourne and australia.

I wrote to my local Labour member (I won't name him) and made it quite clear that the whole situation sucks, the government has gone insane, Brumby comes from another planet, blah, blah etc etc., and may impact on voting choices in the upcoming election. Anyway, I got a response back this week in which he said he was on the government steering panel to address this issue and agrees live music in the town is a priority. Let's see what happens, but keep in mind that Kennett's mob while in government, let planning go out of control and as a result a lot of pubs and clubs got torn down, or closed and redeveloped, next thing we have people from the suburbs moving into the trendy inner-city for a lifestyle hit, then complaining about live music near their apartments. That though is one of the other crazy list of regulations which come under the EPA, and that's another issue that needs fighting to get some sense involved, for example, one person in a large expensive apartment block near the Myer music bowl, can complain about noise from there and that is enough to impact on concerts being put on at the bowl, as the noise levels have to be so low, that many promoters just don't want to go through the hassles -so there's less big ticket concerts there now, meaning less work for people in the entertainment industry. I think a good goverment should create and maintain jobs, not put laws in place that kill jobs.
    That's my rant -so folks, keep on dancing!

ive taken a few quotes and incerpts from the melbourne age from wednesdays issue on this matter,central melbourne came to a standstill,as more than 10.000(close to 20.000)music fans and musicians hit the streets in support of the cities live music scene.the crowd assembled outside the state library,and at 4pm,led by prominent musicians like,paul kelly,missy higgens,tim rogers,dan sultan and paris wells,and a band set up on the back of a flatbed truck deck drove up swanson street,bourke street,to parliament house,the band played,its a long way to the top!if ya wanna rocknroll..in homage to acdc and bon scott,who made this pilgrimage,34 years ago filmed live.lesser known musicians who have lost work spoke alongside more prominent musicians who got there start in small venues,i didnt write songs at school?said paul kelly,these places were my university, as he introduced,rick dempster from the brunswick blues shooters,whos long running residency at the north fitzroys railway hotel were the first victims of the liquor licensing laws aimed at>QUOTE"REDUCING,DRUNKEN VIOLENCE!the government has responded to the industrys concerns by helping to set up a peak body and signing an accord to stem the flow of closures,but the music and live venues industry are unlikely to be happy untill regulations are put in place to protect venues,and respect the cultural significance of live music...to me,the consumers of ministry affairs has alot to answer to ,endorsing these new rules,and i had a suspicion,that one of the main motives behind all this was targeting violence and drunkeness on the ,STREETS!of melbourne.well 99%of our rock and live gigs venues are violence free,and are taking the rap for,city nite clubs and strip clubs who feed techno type dwellers with alcohol?then let them spill out onto the streets of melbourne,and brawl with anyone passing by,usually inocent bystanders or public going to work...or maruading ethnic gangs out to prove how tough they really are.shane and steveo have givin there input too,and a special mention to our resident bands we see every week like the detonators and cold snap who have attended and supported this cause,my,my,hey hey!live music is here to stay...remember our very own venues are at risk in the future too,looking at tggsbs quote from a pub owner,1.000$to 30.000! for a new licience...shocking indeed,more government revenue pocket money that wont be retrieved once the closures become reality...

Talking Re: slam rally!saving live music in melbourne and australia.

i think what this goverment is doing really sucks, closing down pubs ,clubs hotel does`nt solve anything, keep music alive and let musicians have a place to play and let people who love to see a live band go out and enjoy themselves ,cos without any entertaining life is pretty much, dull