0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
    Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Another New Band

Organisers of the Church of Rock at the Middle Hotel, Ferntree Gully are proud to announce another first-time band to entertain the punters in Flanagan’s Bar this Sunday 21st February.
    Longbilly are one of the newer rockabilly bands to hit the Melbourne circuit. They play an energetic mixture of danceable Stray Cat, Gene & Eddie style of rock & roll. Let’s give these new kids on the block a bit of VicRock support this Sunday afternoon at:
    The Ferntree Gully Hotel (Church of Rock)
    1130 Burwood HWY Ferntree Gully. Melways map 74 C4. www.ferntreegullyhotel.com.au … then click on the Flanagan’s page. Phone: 9758 6544
    Music from 3pm. Band from 4pm to 7pm. FREE ENTRY.
    Rockin’ the Gully. THE South East centre for Rock & Roll on Sunday afternoons.
    Next week … The incredible voice of Marisa Quigley (Big Red) with her band
    Chubby Rea and The Elevators.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Re: Another New Band

Always exciting to see new bands anytime, anywhere. I enjoy live music but as someone who loves to dance too, I think it 'll be a good day out if the band plays energetic music but also at a "danceable" tempo most of the time. At a stretch, my old weary legs now can't take too many "speedy gonzales"......

But to be fair, there are others who simply just love the music! And not all dance .........

Thumbs up Re: Another New Band

saw this band at clayton rsl a month or so back,i enjoyed there music and style,good old chuck berry,j.cash old style rocknroll with a touch of rockabilly attitude,and quite danceable!jitterbug,hopefully be back from gisbourne in time to catch up with the congregation...

hi there,basiccly an update on the longbilly gig at the fern tree gully hotel this arvo just gone,a nice pleasant afternoon and longbilly impress with there style of music,ill translate gene to vincent and eddie to cochrane jazza!and i totally agree...with looks and attitude to match,the lead singer can play that gat,and a bubbly cheeky attitude to match.lots of young supporters and friends in attendance ,and probably the only gig i never got to dance?not because it was too fast,just happy to join the half circle around the floor to suss out the potential?of a raw new band on our rocknroll,rockabilly scene in melbourne,thumbs up!people ask me?,i say they or you, gotta start somewhere,and good on the gully for giving the longbillys there chance,once again,please support the bands when possible,i coudnt make the mcawber or the mitchem tonite,understand,priorities,with family or work,but,lets not allow rocknroll or our music gigs to fade away...same with this website,move it!lol.tezza

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Well said Tezza. Always good to experience new talent and I must say that Longbilly certainly did deliver the goods. It may be a confidence thing coz I think Longbilly have improved outta site since their gig at the Monash Hotel late last year and they will definitely be back at the Church of Rock for anyone who missed them yesterday.
    With lead guitarist Erin at 21 and double bassist Jacko at 19 … it’s reassuring to see some young-blood musos coming through to keep it all alive. They got young Jake (15) from Jump & Jive to do a couple of numbers also … (nice gesture).
    Just as important is the younger audience that these bands draw in. Hopefully, these young punters will spread the word of Melbourne’s rock & roll/rockabilly music & culture and live band scene. I’m sure Longbilly would like to express their gratitude for the support they received yesterday.
    Keep up the great work guys.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

I danced to Longbilly at Ashley's Clayton RSL venue a few weeks back and they were really good then too.

It's hard to beat some of the established bands for the quality of their sound, but these bands with younger musicians are proving a joy to listen and dance to.

Saw Jake playing with Jump and Jive at Yarraville on Friday and he is growing in confidence and style at every performance. It was also a treat to see his young brother (Luke?) take over the slap-base for two songs. I think Luke might not even be ten years old, but he is already a very capable musician.
    Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt