01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Lightbulb Good promoters / Bad promoters

There are 2 types of promoters / function organizers ..Good and Bad.

Good promoters :

Know how to keep the bands on their side by being fair and honest in the business dealings .
    Provide bottled water for bands.
    Provide a band room for changing outfits and chilling out.
    Provide precompiled CDs of music to dance to between band sets.
    Ensure easy access to lugg equipment in and out.
    Allow plenty of time for bands to setup before the show starts.
    Provide a table for the band and band guests (who are usually partners and/or involved in helping the band).
    Allow room to the side; in front of stage for a sound engineer.

Bad promoters :

Really get up the noses of bands by crying too poor to pay the requested fee (then make a profit of up to $3000 for the night).
    Cry poor over providing $20 worth of bottled water for the band (Then make a profit of up to $3000 for the night).
    Refuse to provide a table for the band guests or refuse the guests period.
    Block the easy access points so that the equipment has to lugged further than necessary.
    Claim that they are too busy to open the venue early enough to allow plenty of time for the band to setup before the doors open.
    Refuse to allow a sound engineer to have a small space at the side of the venue.
    Expect the band to be do the job of a DJ between band sets by asking that the band play track 5 then track 3 then track 9 of this cd and tracks whatever of that cd.
    Expect the band to get changed in a broom closet or in the car park.

I've had dealings with both types and it's not hard to guess which ones I will go out of my way for and which ones I'll avoid in the future.

Re: Good promoters / Bad promoters

Here Here...The ones that sook about the sound levels, not playing the right stuff and your too fast, too slow are the ones that bug me matey....
    "I shot a man in Reno..Just to watch him Die"

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hey MrE, You are absolutely correct about the difference in rock & roll gig promoters. There is a huge difference in promoting your style of band (traditional rock & roll / cabaret) compared to the pub scene. I am fortunate to work with promoters who assure that musos are definitely paid … even if the night is down on numbers. And there is absolutely no $3000 profit in it.
    Furthermore … there are 2 types of bands out there also:-
    1. Bands who really appreciate what is done for them by promoters.
    2. Bands (or members of bands) who are super up themselves.
    You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to figure out which ones will get the work.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Your on the ball jazza
    "I shot a man in Reno..Just to watch him Die"

Only being fairly new at the game of promoting dances in here Launceston Tasmania with bands from Melbourne, it's good to get pointers from others in the rock & roll scene about how best to do things.

We at Tassie Rockers endeavour to deal as fair as we possibily can with bands, taking into account the logistical hurdles we have to deal with, namely having to jump bands across the ditch. We strive to pay reasonable rates, plus provide logistical support and decent accommodation.

Speaking from a promoters view point, all the bands we have had come across to perform for us, The Sky Rockats, The Fender Benders, The Blackhill Ramblers, Who Was That Cat and The Atomic Hi-Tones, all have been extremely easy and a pleasure to deal with and all have given us their absolute best (Cliffy in particular, taking into account how crook I reckon he might have felt but said nothing and still gave an oustanding performance all night, a true professional like Cliffy never let's a gig down).

So summing up from our short experience as promoters we've found: If you do the bands a fair no bull**** deal, you will get the same or more in return.

Coming up on Saturday March 13th we're looking forward to having Jump & Jive play for us. Everyone is welcome to come across to Tassie and join in, we have one of the best dance floors you will find, built in 1932, fully sprung

Cheers & Keep on rockin'
    Daz & Wilma
    www.tassierockers.com
    Last edited by Daz_In_Tas; 13-02-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz_In_Tas View Post
    Only being fairly new at the game of promoting dances in here Launceston Tasmania with bands from Melbourne, it's good to get pointers from others in the rock & roll scene about how best to do things.

We at Tassie Rockers endeavour to deal as fair as we possibily can with bands, taking into account the logistical hurdles we have to deal with, namely having to jump bands across the ditch. We strive to pay reasonable rates, plus provide logistical support and decent accommodation.

Speaking from a promoters view point, all the bands we have had come across to perform for us, The Sky Rockats, The Fender Benders, The Blackhill Ramblers, Who Was That Cat and The Atomic Hi-Tones, all have been extremely easy and a pleasure to deal with and all have given us their absolute best (Cliffy in particular, taking into account how crook I reckon he might have felt but said nothing and still gave an oustanding performance all night, a true professional like Cliffy never let's a gig down).

So summing up from our short experience as promoters we've found: If you do the bands a fair no bull**** deal, you will get the same or more in return.

Coming up on Saturday March 13th we're looking forward to having Jump & Jive play for us. Everyone is welcome to come across to Tassie and join in, we have one of the best dance floors you will find, built in 1932, fully sprung

Cheers & Keep on rockin'
    Daz & Wilma
    www.tassierockers.com
    cheers to you all we looked after our band, just ask who was that cat

keep up the good work on behalf of linga longa rockers.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

This is a very touchy and complex issue, I very rarely run into bad promoters, but on the odd occasion in my time in music, I have,(Back in the days of wog dances), and yes there is a lot to be said about them, but I think the issue here sits a little deeper than just promoters. Bands have only themselves to blame if this sort of thing is rife throughout the scene, which from where I stand it does not. My point being there are usually four types of people...

Bad promoters and ruthless band leaders, or Promoters with an inch to give and bands who are a little flexible, I know of no one in this business who has made 3-Grand and got away with paying a band peanuts, if this has happened... Hindsight 20/20 my friends...

On the issue of change rooms, I agree entirely, I don not change in a broom closet for anybody.. Access to doors ,Stage, etc. is mandatory, A band Table or a band room is nice too.

Which leads me to the Question?.. Do all promoters know what it takes to put on a show? Most do,some don't, those that don't should...
    Do bands know what it takes to put on a show? (As above).

Nearly all comments lead me to believe,that if you manage your band/Promotion company well, have rules in place that suit the band-promoter, and allow for flexibility, you shouldn't have a problem... Failing that Get ya self a Contract, that goes for promoters too.. Ciao .. Me

After 30 years or so in the music/ entertainment business in one form or another..My advice is:
    Bands-dont work for nix.
    Promoters- don't promote if you aint gonna pay.

I'm happy to be able to say that the vast majority of promoters have been good to excellent and a pleasure to work with over the past few years.
    Hopefully the not so good ones will fade in my memory along with the sticky carpet venues I used to play in and the mongrel bands who thought they were demigods.
    The bands are more professional in their attitudes too these days and the DJ's are brilliant.
    The Rock'n"Roll scene RULES while pub music is on the skids....well done everyone.

Not doubt the R&R/ rockabilly scene is managing itself pretty well, but the pub rock scene has been a breeding ground for young bands coming through and they need somewhere to play no matter what their music genre..so lets make sure we give it support.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Not doubt the R&R/ rockabilly scene is managing itself pretty well, but the pub rock scene has been a breeding ground for young bands coming through and they need somewhere to play no matter what their music genre..so lets make sure we give it support.
    I agree 100% Steveo..I ran an open stage for 2 years and saw an incredible range of talent in every imaginable genre.

A lot of those people are now in professional and semi professional bands or into audio engineering...all they needed was the opportunity to build their stage confidence, refine their craft and the encouragement to further their ambitions.

So to anyone in a position to do similar .... Please give what you can to help upcoming musicians/performers and event organizers... the reward is greater than you can imagine.