01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies
Aisha Khan (UK) On Tour
Last post by Jitterbug
20-03-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

"Flash Mob" Dancing in Melbourne

It has occured on the streets of New York, London etc so it has to happen one day in Melbourne, and it did recently. Not quite random & spontaneous an event though as it was professionally choreographed & sanctioned by the City Lord Mayor.

Wouldn't it be great to see a "flash mob" with hundreds of rock & rollers dancing in the city square or Bourke Street Mall? I would be keen to join in if this could be properly organised. Wouldn't you too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn4FczqpxG0

Re: "Flash Mob" Dancing in Melbourne

ring the lord mayor!jitterbug,we will back you up all the way,i was fascinated!so i double clicked on the video to go directly to youtube to get more info from the comments in general,the idea was put together by facebook users,apparently only 4 minutes long,but?lots of fun...and i really think rocknrollers,swingdancers,rockabilly dancers,latin!in fact anybody who turns up can keep this kinda thing going every year(when shoppers are out in force)and with a bit of organisation?flyers etc,for next year?or after...lets go!vic rockers...shoud only cost ya a train ticket.and consider?federation square if bourke street is off limits.

I remember seeing this advertised last year on a swing newsletter and considered joining in but there were several practice times scheduled that I couldn't make it to. It was on the Thats Melbourne web site so wasn't a secret. Have a look at
    http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/Wha.../FlashMob.aspx
    also has links to their facebook page and blog.

They may do another one? If not I think there have been rock n roll dance demos in Federation square etc before. Maybe some one on vic rock might start the ball rolling for a rock n roll demo in the city? I'd be keen to have a go. I also do occasional dance demos for nursing homes and hostels with a group of like minded dancers that are good fun and entertain the residents for an hour to break up their day. It's good to spread it around.

Smile Re: "Flash Mob" Dancing in Melbourne

So with Tezza, Joceb & Jitterbug, that makes three! We need another 197 rock & rollers who want a "Flash mob" experience in their lives........

Maybe, we can even do it with just 50 rockers. Doesn't have to do it at the Federation square or Bourke Street Mall - we can "Falsh Mob" at one of our local shopping centres or Sunday markets or even during a break at Little Maria's dance?

It would take a bit of organising if you wanted a set routine, or you could just have a spontaneous thing at say Southern Cross station, Southbank on a sunday arvo, or a shopping centre (somewhere with a smooth floor and a bit of space) where 1 couple started to dance and then another lot who "seemed" to be walking past joined in, and so on until you had several lots dancing to the same song. You would need to pick a spot with plenty of people to entertain and then post the time, date, location etc on vicrock, take some music and go for it. Sounds like a lot of fun and would look good even if only with a handfull of couples dancing. I remember seeing a youtube clip of some couples swing dancing at a station in US and getting a huge crowd. So I think its a good idea. I'm sure with all the people on Vicrock we'd have someone who could come up with a good location, pick a suitable weekend, pick a song, bring the cd player and "just do it". There's room along Southbank where the buskers often set up on a sunday, Federation square (bit hard to dance on the uneven paving tho), Bourke St mall, city square, Flinders station, Melbourne Central, Chadstone etc etc. By the time any security people came to tell you not to do it , it would all be over anyway. And I think you're just the guy to organise it Jitterbug Count me in, and we could all go to the nearest pub for a drink and mingle afterwards so I can put faces to names on Vicrock.
    Jocelyn

Id be up for something like that! I'll dance anywhere

I think apart from being fun, a spontaneous dance somewhere in the city would also be good publicity for the rock n roll scene and you could hand out leaflets afterwards advertising the vic rock web site, which could also spread the word amongst younger people about the joys of "partner dancing". I think the easiest way would be to select a time, date, place and advertise it here, then we could turn up and just appear to be walking past when we hear music, stop and spontaneously start to dance in the street (or where ever), then when the music finished, continue on our way - to the nearest pub to meet up and celebrate our dance. I think it would look great to have a dozen or so couples doing rock n roll all of a sudden, especially if it looked like none of them knew each other but were just randomly passing by. You'd need to pick a long song and get everyone to stagger their starts, and maybe let it slip to a news crew that it might be happening for a bit of publicity for the rock n roll scene. I'm sure lots of people I know would be keen to be involved if it was on a weekend in the city somewhere.

So lets do it!!

Jocelyn

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

What a great idea and how much fun would it be. Count me in, I'm up for it

Smile Re: "Flash Mob" Dancing in Melbourne

Great to hear Foxy & Rockin' Sweetheart expressing interest in doing a R&R "Flash Mob" .........

I think it's a fun idea, and we need to hear from more rockers first to make it work. If there's anyone else serious about forming a group to do the "flash mob", could you please "private message" Jitterbug or Joceb on Vicrock - thanks.

hey jitterbug,joce,ive already booked the dj,and the song,a small fee of course!busking donation maybe?oh,and he will come dressed...lolhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5VZfs6zQr8

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
    It has occured on the streets of New York, London etc so it has to happen one day in Melbourne, and it did recently. Not quite random & spontaneous an event though as it was professionally choreographed & sanctioned by the City Lord Mayor.

Wouldn't it be great to see a "flash mob" with hundreds of rock & rollers dancing in the city square or Bourke Street Mall? I would be keen to join in if this could be properly organised. Wouldn't you too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn4FczqpxG0
    you bet i would