0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Dancing On Concrete Floors

Can any one that is "ANY ONE" !!
    PLEASE, tell me what the problem is dancing on concrete flooring????
    I am rather put out by a statement from a "WELL KNOWN" person that has told people not to go to a venue because of the concrete dance floor.....
    And "YES" I know I may open a pandoras box !!
    BUT, Hey!! this is not fair, as there are a lot of pubs & joint around outer & inner city clubs that have concrete flooring!! You "can" dance on concrete flooring, most have been painted or lacquered that I have come across, Although I'm quiet sure there will be some one out there to shoot me down!!
    **Go ahead have your say!**
    If you have danced on this type of flooring and have a opinion please put it forward also if you have been advised otherwise please put your reason up.
    I am interested in all views to this......
    "Just for the HELL of it"

Re: Dancing On Concrete Floors

Hi Ginge

I'm up dancing as soon as music starts...no matter what the floor's like, we've been dancing on concrete at the Gully for years, but next day my knees are so painful I can hardly walk, it doesn't stop me and other music/dance lovers from turning up again. It's not as bad if floor is painted.

So bring on the walking stick/wheelchair in my old age I'll still find a way to dance!

My opinion on concrete, is it is the best way to stuff your knee's, ankles & hips, it may not happen immediately but somewhere down the track you're up for a very expensive & painful surgical operation, to right your misadventure of dancing on a very hard surface. I like my dancing but I flatly refuse to dance on concrete, it's the pits.
    Somewhere down the track some smart solicitor will start proceedings against venues allowing use of unsafe dance floors it's probably called duty of care.
    PS It stuffs the soles of your dance shoes too!!
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

I agree with gjo267
    and would not waste my time on concrete floors

Maybe it would be a good idea to wear the approbiate shoe's if the type of floor is known and not expect every venue to have a sprung floor.
    John

a dance is a dance and concrete beats grass any time. love the gully but the tiles are deadly. hope to dance with you soon

Smile Re: Dancing On Concrete Floors

Ginge, Concrete floors, carpet floors, sticky wooden floors do impede on your dancing enjoyment, everyone has an opinion and all i am sure have a preference! The gigs around town at the moment probably? to entice the crowds would need to offer the best they can,you know as well as most we are spoilt so let some have there say as you have done. No matter what the floor we still rock up and try to enjoy no only the dancing but the friendships of many...... cheers see you again and again...... eveready xx

Every time I see a concrete floor I wonder if any of my missing reletives are buried there .

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Put on your bubble wrap suits and stay at home in case you might get hurt.

How about supporting the bands occasionally and enjoying the music its no wonder the bands cant get a gig anywhere. Give me a dirty dingy pub anyday. Its a sad day for a musician when your value as a metronome is more important than your ability to entertain people.

Cool Re: Dancing On Concrete Floors

I must be lucky. I seem to be able to dance on any kind of venue surface without ill effects.

(Of course there is something especialy yucky about turning and spinning on sticky carpet.)

Good bands and great music is the prime consideration.

But I do worry about how asphalt, like at the Kustom Nationals, wears down my good Rocco shoes.
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Well there ya go !!!

If I want to see any band I'll just go & see them
    I don't go there to see what the dance floor is like.
    I *DON'T* deter others because a venue has a concrete dance floor.

Rob, yep!! I'm with you here as I feel the same I hate filthy sticky carpet...
    Shaun I'm with you to cobber, support for *ALL* our local bands
    & the interstate bands that have entertained us in Victoria.

Eveready, well said !!

*giddy Up* To dance on grass hopefully we'll see a bit of it on the
    3 Jan @ Red Hill !!

And I suppose you guys who wouldn't waste your time dancing on concrete floors have never danced at the Gully the 5 or so years it has been running a successful Sunday arvo??
    I don't think they had put in a dance floor since I was last there ,

Tiles down @ Beaches in Mornington, Didn't hear of any complaints there!
    Or maybe tiles are different....

Gee, there is always a whinger when there is no good dance joints around.. And when there are - the whingers are still damn well whingin' ..

next !!
    "Just for the HELL of it"

and our next topic is .....

I agree with you Ginge... I hear people ask if some venues have springed floors. Everyone has a right to ask I guess but don't tell that to the country folks... LOL..

We've seen them dancing in dust, mud, grass, rocks.... You name it. Sometimes gigs are actually about the music so when that happens the dance surface isn't a consideration.

Most pubs have some limitations with their dance floors be it materials, space etc..

Tony
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Hi everyone;

It does matter what type of floor you have you will always have someone who will complain, I do wander though why they come to the venue if they are going to complain about it and the surface of the dancefloor, if they don't like the surfaces then don't go dancing, try sometime else.
    I have danced on just about all the surfaces that are around even snow, so it doesn't matter as long as there is room to move we will dance to a good band.

whem(wayne)

PS will be back on the dance floor soon. whatever the surface and whereever it is

I am like a lot of the posters on this thread,spent penty of time dancing on all type of surfaces,this was my demise.
    I am inclined to agree with gjo267 & swampman, I've had the ankle and knee problems including the surgical repairs, it's expensive and you're out of action for months, so now, I listen to the music & if the floor is ok, I dance a little, I don't need to be in a wheelchair yet. you definitely will not get me up on Concrete, Bitumen or Grass,no matter how good the music is.

Now looky here Ginge Concrete happens to be very expensive at 160 bucks a cubic meter, oh and that also depends on what Mpa ya want, you know 20-25 Mpa for paving, or 32 Mpa for heavy arsed dancing, personally I prefer Asphalt a bit softer under toe, not as durable, but never the less softer on me gammy hip.. I prefer to wear my hush puppies when doing the boogaloo on the said concrete dance floor, the tartan ones with the synthetic sole, Ahh yes my bunions, I can hear them now, Ahhhhh, Oooohhhh... Hehehe...
    Oh nearly forgot I don't think I heard anyone whine at Wintersun... Now there's a concrete jungle, 20,000 Rock heads dancing on.. wait for it..... CONCRETE.
    ( Oh shivers me bunions are killin me ) hehehe..