0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mildura Thumbs Up

Regardless of mix ups, delays and all the things that can be improved on with a first ever event, I didn't encounter one person who wasn't having a ball.
    The weather was pristine perfect and there was a mixture of familiar and friendly faces from Brisbane, New Castle, Adelaide, Melbourne, Bendigo and everywhere in between, there for the fun.

Although not the masssive number of people as at Coolangatta, there was still a very healthy appearance of hot rodders, dancers (rockabilly & rock'n'roll) and people. It would not surprise me to in time see future Wintersun Mildura events grow to rival Coolangatta.

People down from Brisbane for the event said Mildura Wintersun was exactly like Coolangatta when it first started.

The area on the river used for the Sunday was just beautiful. A huge outdoor stage is currently being built, which will make staging live entertainment a dream.

Future events just need some refining of timing of acts and activities, parking specificially for hot rods and classics, dance floors in venues that dont have them, some instruction and assistance for where to load in etc for entertainment and bands, simplicity for the merchandisers who roll into town, plenty of advance warning and advertising both nationally and locally so people can plan and more signage round town to show people where to go and that there is a festival on.

Locals told us they thought newspaper articles were about an event at the Wintersun Hotel in Mildura. and didn't realise there was anything happening.
    A coincidence that a local iconic Hotel is called the Wintersun.

Hats off to Barry McNamara of Coolangatta fame for getting the Mildura Wintersun ball rolling in just a few short months and wishing him future success with the Mildura Council and interested parties in their collective future endeavours with this event.

Barry was handing out feed back forms, so if you attended Mildura Wintersun and wish to contribute your thoughts and suggestions, I am sure an email would be very welcome and useful for future planning.

www.wintersun.org.au

Last edited by FIGJAM; 19-08-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Re: Mildura Thumbs Up

hopefully next year they have a better time-table flyer. I found it confusing to read, and some events wasent on the flyer.

cant complain about the weather

Finally I get to hear how things went at Mildura. I was sooooooo depressed that I couldn`t go, but we had our own dance commitments happening in Gippsland. I was anxious to see how my friends, in particular Brian from `Phil Haley & the Comments` went in Mildura. I would have loved to have been there for the first one. I didn`t even have to worry about accommodation as I have friends living there.Damn ! I certainly won`t miss out if there`s another one next year. Apart from a few teething problems it sounds great, I can`t wait to hear more.....

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Excellent write up and photos Maryann. I must say that the most appropriate two-word description of the inaugural Mildura Wintersun Festival has to be ‘Enormous Potential’.
    The S.L.F (sweet lady friend) and I arrived at this sun-drenched city at high noon on the Friday. The place was packed & buzzin’ with hot rods & rock & rollers. We knew we were in for a hot-rockin’ weekend. Friday night saw the ‘Sandbar Hotel’ jam packed with locals and visitors to hear the brilliant rock sounds of the mighty 'Atomic Hi-Tones'. It was a special buzz to hear the positive comments by the locals after being totally blown away by one of Melbourne’s finest rockabilly bands.
    Saturday morning was spent exploring the many sights around Mildura and the Murray river before we ended up in the main CBD mall and checked out bands ‘Sweet Rock’ plus AHT’s and the outstanding sounds of newbie Melbourne band ‘The Rechords’ who will ‘Rock the Gully’ in September.
    We spent Saturday night being entertained by Brisbane’s ‘Chevrolets’ followed by the greatness of Aussie visitors … 'Phil Haley & his Comments' and ever-talented ‘Firebird’. This free outdoor entertainment was held in an area called ‘Feast-Street’ which has numerous coffee bars & restaurants. The stage also doubled for the opening ceremony of the 'Masters Games'. It was no surprise why the CBD was so crowded. The traders were doing very well indeed.
    After the huge farmers market at the nearby township of Merbein on Sunday morning, we took in the sights around Wentworth before returning to Mildura for more rock & roll entertainment on the Murray River foreshore in the afternoon. Late Sunday afternoon was spent at the Mildura Workers Club where we boogied to those energisers known as ‘Jump & Jive’.
    We travelled back to the Wentworth Sports Club on Sunday night to experience ‘TJ & the Twinspinners’ after a fine meal from the clubs restaurant. It was such a pleasure to meet and mingle with so many lovers of rock & roll music and dance, especially those people from Adelaide who were so friendly and went out of their way to make themselves known to us.
    As much as this festival is different … it certainly has the potential to equal or better the popularity of Coolangatta. The experience has a definite thumbs-up from us.
    Jiver J ... I met up and spoke with Phil Haley & Comments’ Brian who is in good spirits. He’s sporting a new set of choppers and looks very healthy. Bass player Martyn is on the hunt for an Aussie bride so he can migrate to Oz with ease. Got no pix of the boys on the weekend but here is a pic of their first OZ & Wintersun trip 2002. Click to enlarge.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Thanks for that interesting update on Mildura Jazza, did you check out the Mildara winery in Merbein? . Sounds like it really has the potencial for growth, which is very positive for the future of 50s rock and roll. I have always found the Adelaide rockers very friendly too, and they take their music and dancing very seriously. I still haven`t got to their Toop & Toop rock and roll festival which is coming up on the 18th to 20th of September, but would love to get there sometime as I hear it`s also growing.
    I guess Brian has the set of choppers because he is now an Edwardian Ted , and has the suits to prove it. The Teddy Boy movement is really growing in the U.K, must do an article on the history of it when time allows as it`s very interesting. There are only a couple of expatriate British Teds living in Australia. I met up with one at the Greazefest, and have they got some stories to tell.

Some more pics -
    These are from the SANDBAR right in the heart of Mildura at the Corner of Eighth Street and Langtree Ave where the Atomic Hi-Tones performed mostly. This venue was full on all weekend with locals and visitors and is ideally situated for Rockabilly HQ in Mildura.
    It is possible for 3 bands to be on at once as there is a function room up stairs, the inside bar and the beer garden.

Saturday night, the Atomic Hi-Tones were preceded by local rock stars, Jackson Firebird (a 2 piece that sounds like a 4 piece) - These 2 guys recently won a Triple J competition that took them overseas and won them some recording time in a major studio. Really nice young blokes with loads of talent.
    It was head banging music at its best and Cliff thought the Hitones would be run out of town, by the crowd, when they came on, but it was the complete opposite. Just shows the broad appeal of Rockabilly music.
    Chris & Pete - enter the next Triple J comp.
    Jake from Jump'n'Jive had the crowd screaming when he did a spot with the guys as did Sammy.
    In the street the sound man Ray Smith had the biggest mutton Chops in Australia. He was sooooo nice and funny.
    He kept getting names wrong and introduced the Atomic Hi-Tones as the Atomic Hi Fives and the Hitonix.

If this event is on again at Mildura again next year make a weekend of it an go.

Interesting write-ups & pictures on the Mildura's Wintersun from both Figjam and Jazza. I agree with Jiver J - must not miss next year's event if it's on-going .......

BTW, looking at the pictures, it must have been hot in Mildura as Illana seemed quite happy getting a helping hand with the top of her dress?

Angry Re: Mildura Thumbs Up

Mildura saw us coming.. I had to get a job pruning grape vines while I was up there so I could afford a drink . VB stubbies sunday arvo @ $ 6 .50.each.
    Country cousins indeed!.
    Yes .I am a tight arse.

Great event! Well done by the organisers. Glad to hear it's on again next year.
    Here's some Phil Haley & His Comments photos Jazza and there's more taken in Mildura at Tassie Rockers website

Cheers & keep on rockin' Daz
    http://www.tassierockers.com

G’Day Daz and Wilma.
    Seems like you guys had a great time at Mildura also. Thanks for the pix of Phil Haley & Band, JiverJ will appreciate them also. I took very few pics as we were so busy catching all the sights.
    Hope to see more Tassie Rockers over for Mildura next year. We’ll catch up and boogie with you guys a lot more then. Keep up the great work down there. You got an excellent website.
    Jazz.
    Last edited by Jazza; 27-08-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Hey Jazza,
    Thanks for the comments about our website. We've been ravin' about Mildura to the rest of the mob down here. For one reason or another a lot can't make it to Coolangatta Wintersun but reckon they might be able to make it to Mildura. If we get enough to go next year we might hire a house boat and camp on that for a week or so.
    Cheers, Daz

Hey Daz!
    Yeah mate, a group Houseboat … now there’s a great idea for Mildura Wintersun 2010. Worth looking into. We could have our own “Rock Out on the Murray’ afternoon with band and all. What a spectacular party that would be. For a small fee … we could even employ Icon to clean up after us??? That would offset his costs and allow him to by drinks.
    Jaz.

No second prizes Jazza. Im putting out a flyer on sunday at church to gauge any interest re hiring a house boat next year. Im getting Bree /Zeek/ and bling bling on board.Im hoping to have our whole Gully crew floating down the murry. Jitterbug is borderline ...Now if you'll excuse me. Im gunna watch the footy show..

Thanks Daz & Wilma for the shots of Phil Haley & band. Glad you enjoyed Mildura. I guess traveling back to Launceston would be a quickie compared to flying back to the U.K for the boys.

Actually at the recent Greazefest they had a very talented young Tassie phycobilly band called the `Bone Rattlers`. Hope to catch up again when I`m next with family in Bridport. ` Keep on Rockin`.

Quote Originally Posted by icon View Post
    Mildura saw us coming.. I had to get a job pruning grape vines while I was up there so I could afford a drink . VB stubbies sunday arvo @ $ 6 .50.each.
    Country cousins indeed!.
    Yes .I am a tight arse.
    I agree, bloody expensive. thats a discrace. was that in a pub/club?

Quote Originally Posted by stepto and son View Post
    I agree, bloody expensive. thats a discrace. was that in a pub/club?
    You think that`s pricey, at Greazefest we were paying $9.00 for a can of Jim Beam & Coke and Five bucks for 150 ml of wine in a plastic cup. I`d be interested to know what the price was for a stubbie of beer up there. Can anyone help with this ? And how much do you pay at the footy these days for alcohol?. And we complain about fuel prices - Lol.

Hey.We should have a price watch department on here. But no tall stories (Well, no taller than mine)
    Jiver.J. Nine bux for a can of Jim beam? Man! thats dear. I would have rang channel nine's a current affair. Talk about Greazefest ..More like ripoff fest.Remindes me of the time I paid seven dollars for a plain snag on a piece of bread, out the front of the knox club about two years ago.Yeah, I know it was one a.m in the morning and no one twisted my arm.But thats what happens when you get slightly get pissed.
    I cry every time I go to Bunnings and I see them flogging snags on bread out the front for two bux
    Yes ..we are on topic Jitterbug....Mildura .. High prices ..etc..etc.

Hey Jiver J, let us know when you're in Tassie (Bridport) next, you never know we might be having a dance in Launceston. The Bone Rattlers & Firebird are playing at The Royal Oak Hotel in Launceston on Sat night Sept 12th

I note a bit of discussion in some posts about the price of beer at Mildura, I've always wondered about beer price "I've never been able to work out how they make such a bloody good drink so cheap"

Cheers & keep on rockin' Daz

We're playing in Tassie on January 30th, you should be there!
    More info: www.tassierockers.com