03-04-2024 06:30 PM
0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

+ Reply to Thread

Birth Of Aussie R'n'R

Ok course we all know that Johnny O'Keefe was the first true rocker in Australia with "The Wild One" in 1958, which peaked @ 20 on the Charts, I have a clip of the great JOK with "Shout" live with the Dee Jays as his backing Group and The Deltones as back up vocal, Enjoy and feel free to leave a comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kP3...layer_embedded

"Shout" was released in 1964 but only made 22 on the Charts.

Rockabilly Rob (kempy)
    Radio EMFM - 104.7fm

Re: Birth Of Aussie R'n'R

How right you are Kempy.The great Johnny Okeefe brought us the music we love even now some 50 years later. I have a DJ friend in Argentina that I sent this clip to.He wrote saying,thank you for the great Johnny Okeefe. "This song makes me sing sing sing,I love it". How would Johnny Okeefe feel about his tune rockin them over in Argentina so many years later.For those of us that are lucky enough to have heard these songs for their first time can maybe stop,listen and remember those good old days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4CFo4NGkJU
    That,ll be the day the music die,s

roknray yet another great JOK tune and a great TV show, Sing Sing Sing was released in 1962 and peaked on the Charts @ No. 22

Rockabilly Rob (kempy)
    EMFM - 104.7fm

hi kempy,another great clip of johnny o keefe in his prime,but this particular song fascinates me also for the fact i have an old clip of LULU!covering shout ,she released it in 1964 at the age of fourteen!and sang it on top of the pops in 1965 when i presume she was old enough? to hang out with the older generation.the isley brothers released shout in 1959,the clip of lulu singing shout is in the menu.tezza

Saw the great J O K live at the Walzting Matilda many years ago, wish I had of paid more attention rather than trying to drink my mates under the table as was the go at that time !!

Tezza very interesting about Lulu & Isley Brothers "Shout", I've done a bit of research on this, Stan "The Man" Rofe (who I have worked with back in the late 60's ) became Johnny's biggest supporter - and provided him with his landmark recording.
    Stan was playing the Isley Brothers version of Shout when Johnny dropped in to see him at 3KZ studios. Johnny loved the song and asked Stan if he could have the record. He then rewrote some of the words to make it fit in with the Australian jargon.

Rockabilly Rob (kempy)
    Radio EMFM - 104.7fm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAbbXbZKph0

Rockabilly Rob (Kempy)
    Radio EMFM - 104.7fm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL9xOLpwI0I

Rockabilly Rob (kempy)
    RadioEMFM - 104.7fm

thanks kemp!i know this post is about australias greatest rock n roller,but there is history behind every song,including covers!and all three,isley bros,lulus and johnnys are great to listen to.lulu was one of my favorite singers in the sixties,and to sir with love was one of the earliest films i got to see,as a kid,and still a classic,with sidney poitier.helping to heal racial tensions in britains schools at the time,the one singer who came close to brenda lee for class,style and vocals.tezza.