0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

2000kms in4 Days

WARNING - DON'T READ WHEN TIRED
    Interstate gigs are fun but exhausting. Good thing is you get to know lots of lovely people you would never have other wise met.
    I do most of the driving so the band can have a few drinks and chill out on road trips.
    We left Thursday night and got to the other side of Melbourne and stopped for a counter tea because Artie wanted one. From then on it was a sea of Prime Movers. I sit on 100 so I get passed by all of them. Coming from the opposite direction I counted 140 in one 1/2 hour period. A lot of watermelons for market I guess.
    We drove untill I wanted to sleep.
    We got to Morisset (which is about 2 hours north of Sydney but not as far as New Castle) by about 11am. I dumped some of the band at the cabin we stayed in, at the Morisset Village, then headed to New Castle Airport in time to pick up the rest of the band.

We rested up in the afternoon then headed south to Toukley for the first gig at the Toukley RSL. On the main drag into Toukley we spotted a great shop called Suicide Glam, whose owners are also Tattooists who own the nearby Tattoo Parlour. The owners have the Australian licence for the Suicide Glam range which was very sexy, very rockabilly, very punky and had a fetish vibe. We went back the next day and the band bought some shirts.
    Toukley RSL has a very happening RnR/Rockabilly scene thanks to Gavin Bean.
    We caught up with a heap of the crowd from Kurri Kurri who are preparing for their festival in 2 weeks. Firebird will be appearing this year along with many other bands from Sydney and New Castle. If the weather is good, they crowd will probably ne more than the 20.000 people who were there when we were there last year.

Saturday, we went to the Morisset Market after a sleep in, then headed to Sydney for the gig at Ashfield RSL. A 2 hour drive easy.
    This Ashfield has the best Chinese Buffet ever (Keep that in mind next time you are in Sydney).
    It was another top gig that got a second crowd around midnight when a big contingent arrived back from the Gay Mardi Gras.
    Mark from a band called No Brakes which includes Aaron and Eric (formerly of Blue Denim). got up with the band and did a couple of numbers.

After the gig, one of their mates called Rod led us the local knowledge shortcut back through Ryde and Hornsby, which cut 1/2 and hour of our trip back to Morisset just about.

Sunday, we went down town to Morisset for lunch and discovered a Cash Converters selling out. The band bought all sorts of top quality music/audio gear including microphone sets for around 1/5 of their retail price, they've discovered since coming home.

Sunday afternoon we headed back south to the WYONG Leagues Club.
    There was a mix up with the other band and the PA man but fortunately we had all our gear on board, so the show went on with Jimmy D who has returned top to the area after a 3 year absence for health reasons and is now fighting fit.
    Rosie and Mandy rocked up from Sydney via a train, 2 buses and a taxi.
    The girls had been in Sydney dressed as Little Beau Peeps for the Gay Mardi Gras. They had missed getting interviewed by Joan Rivers (who wanted to interview them) unfortunately because the crowd swelled to such a huge number the girls couldn't get through in time. Rosie was sporting a big bruise because a dominatrix in the parade, stopped and flicked a whip at her.

That night was an early finish (thank god). The next morning I drove some of the guys to New Casle airport (4am), then came back for the others and drove all the way home. 17 Hours driving for me that day.
    The others slept or watched videos all the way.
    I am still in recovery mode.

Last edited by FIGJAM; 12-03-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Re: 2000kms in4 Days

Nice drive then...Maryanne,
    Looks like you had fun, it would have been chaos with the madi gras as well !! Remember the band that was out here a couple of years ago,
    we were all going to see them as a group (which didn't eventuate),
    They were called "Superman is dead",
    I was in Bali and met these guys at the tattoo parlor & clothing store!
    I got tattooed there & bought clothing from their store!
    It was a shop you could not resist going into... Wow....
    Its a small world after all!!!
    "Bet your glad to be home", hey!!
    "Just for the HELL of it"

Hey, Figgy. Brambles are looking for interstate truck drivers .

Stop being a whimp figgy, try pulling Cairns to Melb in 49 Hours...
    lol...I got by with a little help from my friends...
    "I shot a man in Reno..Just to watch him Die"