The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Wintersun 2008 Report

Wintersun was FANTASTIC!

You just have to give it to our Northern cousins. Beautiful sunshine one day, perfect music carnival the next! Indeed there was music in the air, dancing on the streets in warm sunshine and, when night falls, in the many clubs & hotels. From the 15th Floor of my Mantra apartment, it offered me $million oceanic views & a daily kaleidoscope of hotrods & markets and a never ending stream of human activities at the street level.

In summary, my first Wintersun experience was exhilarating. Yes, a nirvana-type rockin' experience. I was totally drained physically at the end but nonetheless very satisfied.

My only regret is that I wish I had more time to spend at Wintersun. A dance competition would have been good as it adds authenticity to any R&R festival.

Day 1 – Thursday (5th June)

I arrived at Coolangatta bathed in warm sunshine with R&R music blazing from one corner of the main street. Hotrods were everywhere. Back at the apartment, Jazza rang to tell me of Atomic Hi Tones gig with Phil Halley and His Comments at the Coolangatta Hotel’s Rockabilly HQ the previous night, and also reminding me of the Rockabilly Jamboree at Seagulls tonight.

After waiting what seems like eternity for the girls to finish applying their make-up and choosing their dresses etc we finally took ourselves to Seagulls. We arrived late, and therefore missed seeing the Atomic Hi Tones and Corn Liquor. There was a large crowd with good representation from both traditional “petticoats & poodle skirts” rockers and rockabilly aficionados including a large contingent of rockers from the “Gully”. Also there was the Perth crew - Ando (Alan) & Kathy and Josef and Celia of the Perth Rock website. Crazy as it may sound, but each band was only given about half an hour of playing time and the Jamboree finished early just after 11.30 pm. I did manage to see the Swedish rockabilly band (Wildfire Willy & the Ramblers), the two UK bands (John Lewis Trio & Sure Shots) and finally with the multi talented Deke Dickerson (USA) closing the show. The music on offer generally was quite fast so dancing was mainly for those brave, energetic souls.

After the Jamboree, many dancers then took themselves down stairs where Itchy Fingers played some mighty R&R tunes. The relatively small dance floor was packed, and many were left dancing on carpets nearby. After a long wait for taxis, we finally got back to the apartment at 2 am.

Day 2 – Friday (6th June)

The glowing morning sunshine was streaming through my windows by 7am and after breakfast, off I went to check out the merchandise markets which was a short stroll away by the beach. I met more rockers from Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra and Perth etc. At lunchtime, took a short walk to the local shopping centre’s Showcase to watch a 3 piece rockabilly band called the Atomic Cruisers which was followed by a 1950’s style R&R band called “Rimshots”. The latter was particularly popular with rock n rollers dancers. I had a few dances myself but found the concrete floor pretty hard on the knees and ankles.

By 4pm, I have made my way back to the apartment only to discover another party was starting to hot up with drinking, music and dancing on the balcony. No rest for the wicked! The party had finished just in time to have a quick shower then out to dinner before more partying and dancing at the Twin Towns complex dancing to a band called Craig & the Shackshakers. At about 12 pm, took off to the nearby” Dolphins” for more dancing to another R&R band (the Bakelites). Finished partying at 3am.

Elsewhere, the Rockabilly HQ had Wanda Jackson, Hanks Jalopy Demons & Retro Rockets tonight whilst at the Seagulls, another extravaganza with Legends of Bandstands with Frank Ifield, Little Pattie, Lucky Starr, Ian Turpie & Warren Williams. Or punters could choose to see the Elvis Competition at the Twin Towns Auditorium, attend the Wintersun’s Dance Party featuring impersonations of Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly and Little Richie plus a myriad of other venues featuring live R&R bands. So many choices, so many bands, so much fun to be had! No time to be bored!

The hotrods run officially begun tonight being paraded and cruised on the streets of Coolangatta. What excitement! What a sight to see hundreds of hotrods being cheered on by the masses lined up on the streets.

Day 3 – Saturday (7th June)

I have another early start for the day. Come 9.45am, the Dirty Boogie band came out swingin’ and the crowds soon grew with the music on offer. A good mixture of R&R and Swing dancers danced on the hard bituman, and as usual I just couldn’t resist the temptation to also dance.

Next up was the swingy Perth band (The Darling Buds of May). If the Dirty Boogie band was all about Neo or Setzer swing, the DBOM was 1920-40’s jazz swing in the grand traditions of Ella Fitzgerald & Peggy Lee. I really love this band and bought its CD after the show. There were some fantastic young swing (Lindy Hop & Balboa) dancers dancing to the DBOM – just love their smooth partner connection, foot work & musicality.

The Blussey swing band, Bop Deluxe, was next with Tom from Louis King & Liars Klub playing the drums. More dancing for me – just couldn’t stop my feet from shuffling whenever the music was on …….

In between the swing bands, I also saw the Black Hill Ramblers plus a host of rockabilly bands including Retro Rockets, Creepers, Deke Dickerson, Wildfire Willy & the Ramblers, Wes & the Sonic Aces and even the Peter Baylor Trio which was really a re-incarnation of the FlatFoot Shakers. Love all these bands but if I really have to choose between them, I would go with the Retro Rockets and Deke Dickerson. Do yourself a favour and check them out when you got a chance.

Had lunch and coffee with Hotrodgirl, Longgonebaby, Kev from AHT etc and it was back to more bands and music for the arvo before going back to the apartment for some rest before going out for the evening session of dancing partying again at Twin Towns and then the Dolphins. As usual, the dance floors at both venues were packed.

Day 4 – Sunday (8th June)

I was determined to see more 1950’s R&R bands today as an antidote to my overdose of rockabilly in the last 2 days. Saw Leisa Kerin performing with a show band as my first stop this morning. She was singing mainly sweet melodies from the late 1960’s.Walked further down the street and the Creepers were preparing to play. Just couldn’t resist this band. Before I realised it, I was soon watching another rockabilly band – Melbourne’s very own Hanks Jalopy Demons. By 11am, the Dirty Boogie band was on and how could I miss seeing one of my favourite Melbourne swing bands.

The Atomic Hi Tones was on very soon after. As usual, the band was pumping Hi Octane tunes that got all the dancers to boogie. Cliffy was pumped today that, sore foot or not, he was soon climbing on top of the huge speakers belting out his tunes and posing like a true rock god! What a sight to behold!

The Flattrackers from Wollongong were next. These guys are good especially their stage performance and the acrobatic antics of its double bass player. A short walk later and the Blue Denim’s were on next. These guys have attitude & gusto and it shows in their music and in their stage performance. So as not to be outdone by AHT’s Cliffy, Brad, the band’s double bass player, also perched himself on the huge speakers – only this time he had the double bass with him too.

More bands followed – Pat Capoci Combo which toured Melbourne recently, Sure Shots and finally the Flat Foot Shakers which unfortunately could only play 2 songs before the heavens opened up and started pouring.

I was too physically stuffed from all the dancing that I just didn’t have the strength to walk a km to see Phil Halley & his Comments.

It’s Rockabilly HQ at the Coolangatta Hotel tonight for me. Nice bar service but the dance floor was relatively small and sticky. First up was Miss Teresa & the Western Rhythmaires and the singer reminded me of a young Wanda Jackson in action. Next was the multi talented Deke Dickerson with Jimmy Sutton on Double Bass and “Sugar Ball” on drums. These guys are a complete package of entertainment – they sang, they conversed and joked with the audience and they had comedy sketches too. Being versatile too the guys swapped instruments during a song. So don’t miss the band when they come down to Melbourne’s Corner Hotel later this month.

Day 5 – Monday 9th June

My last day at Wintersun. Packed and checked in my baggage at the airport and then taking a short taxi trip to the Kirra Sports Ground for Wintersun’s Best of the Best event. I was worried about the weather. It had been drizzling all night and also intermittently during the morning. Dark clouds were gathering and hovering over the football ground and only dispersing when the sun occasionally managed to break through.

Blue Denim played first up. Not sure if it has to do with the sound system or the poor acoustic effect, the band sounded slightly subdued. Music offered was mainly medium paced probably played to suit the more traditional R&R dancers. Next band was Brandi & the Badcats – not too bad rockin’ sound but I thought the vocal was probably again affected by the sound system or the poor acoustic. Brandi was followed by John Lewis who was backed by the Sure Shots. John Lewis sounded very much country rockabilly to me but a very enjoyable band, particularly his dedication to Bo Diddley who recently passed away.

As I had to catch my 3pm flight, I had just enough time to catch tributes to Johhny O’Keefe, Buddy Holly and Little Richie. Missed the tribute to Elvis, Deke Dickerson and once more, Phil Halley & his Comments.

I arrived back in Melbourne very tired but feeling totally enriched by the Wintersun experience.

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Re: Wintersun 2008 Report

Great report on Wintersun Jitterbug. What a party animal you are.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

A cuppla more pix to go with bugs review.

Wonderfully written as always Jitterbug!!!!

Many thanks yet again for the rave reviews on the Dirty Boogie. We are wrapped that you enjoy our music as much as we enjoy playing it and hope that you will make your way to Davey's on the 22nd of June to catch us again.

I would also like to thank you for our long awaited dance Sheesh! To think we had to travel 2 states to finally make it happen, lol. I look forward to the next one.... if you are game again

Sounds like a great weekend. Not seen the Sureshots for years, a great band
    Don't Dig Me Daddy 'Cause I'm Real Gone.....

Well said JB. What a fantastic week. It was great to put some more faces to names on VicRock and good to catch up with Gully mob again, top bunch of guys and gals. As usual Cliff and the boys were at their best. A block of speakers went down at the rockabilly stage in the park and I'm sure Cliff standing on top of them was a great substitute. The bands I liked best were of course, the Atomics, Deke Dickerson, Phil Haley and the Retro Rockets who we are looking forward to seeing at the Meltdown in August. We finished the week of with the monday nite Final Fling at the Civic Centre, a top venue, not real crowded and plenty of room on the dance floor. The Rockin' Daddies stared and as a bonus Phil Haley and His Comments made an unexpected appearance, fantastic. Thanks again guys and we'll catch up again real soon. I will post some photos soon.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Wonderfully written as always Jitterbug!!!!

Many thanks yet again for the rave reviews on the Dirty Boogie. We are wrapped that you enjoy our music as much as we enjoy playing it and hope that you will make your way to Davey's on the 22nd of June to catch us again.

I would also like to thank you for our long awaited dance Sheesh! To think we had to travel 2 states to finally make it happen, lol. I look forward to the next one.... if you are game again
    Nice to catch up for those 5 drinks.. haha

Here's some shots. Ando.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wintersun2008 145.jpg‎
Views:	198
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wintersun2008 146.jpg‎
Views:	191
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1864  

More to come.

Name:	Wintersun2008 147.jpg‎
Views:	187
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wintersun2008 177.jpg‎
Views:	178
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1866  

Couple more.

Name:	Wintersun2008 181.jpg‎
Views:	170
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wintersun2008 182.jpg‎
Views:	177
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1868  

A couple for the rock and rollers. Thanks Vince and Fran, Joe and Helen and Joe and Vicki.

Name:	Wintersun2008 029.jpg‎
Views:	182
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wintersun2008 033.jpg‎
Views:	176
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1870  

Last Two.

Name:	Wintersun2008 016.jpg‎
Views:	190
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wintersun2008 178.jpg‎
Views:	178
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1872  

More Photos of Wintersun 2008. Click to enlarge.

From Wintersun 2008, my favourite car and favourite T-shirt (Slim Jim of course).

Name:	CIMG0066.JPG‎
Views:	160
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1877   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0074.JPG‎
Views:	188
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1878