Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I Wanna See ...

Re: I Wanna See ...

Quote Originally Posted by longgonebaby View Post
    Milky Bar Kids doesn't ring a bell with me......
    They had a couple of songs on the Regular Rockabilly LP:
    I think they were from Sydney.

LP AUS Regular RRLP 1210 1984

MC AUS Regular M5RR 1210 1984

Produced by John Moyle

New Dancehall Racketeers We're Gonna Teach You To Rock
    The Jaguars They Call Me The Rockin' Lady
    Straight Eights Bop Street
    Treble Clefs Rockabilly Land
    Milky Bar Kids If You Remember Me

Milky Bar Kids Flaming Star
    Treble Clefs Big Bad Billy
    The Jaguars Don't Ever Leave Me Again
    Straight Eights Wig Wam Willie
    New Dancehall Racketeers In The Mood
    You can't handle the truth!

Yeah Milky Bar Kids were out of Sydney they did for another band bit cant remember right now .Rick Dempster Steve Percell and Donal Baylor are probly some early players of the Rackateers.Dave & the Desotos and the Prestones only recorded at Preston records, brother Dave could confirm that
    Bill

Dancehall Racketeers, in Tamworth 1984 (from Andy Baylor's web site)

Andy Baylor with the Cajun Combo ...... Tamworth 2008 .
    Fantastic entertainment

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=132&i=tamworth2008043oc4.jpg][IMG]
    Rumors are carried by haters, Spread by fools, and accepted by Idiots

Aaaah, the old days! I remember them well!!! I love this pic, Cat. I did have a look at Andy Baylor's website, but just to see about the Dance Hall Racketeers considering we are talking about who we'd like to see again. How nice to find out that a band we want to see again is playing again!

Now, the quandry, Ferntree Gully or the Lomond!!!! I'm guessing if the DHR are playing there this Sunday, then there will be other Sundays that they'll be back there again.

I remember that recording now, Billy and Cat, thanks for the info. Brian had a copy of it and I've played it many times but never really concentrated on the bands. I do recall I thought it was a damn funny name for a band! Don't think I ever saw them play live though.....

Quote Originally Posted by longgonebaby View Post
    Aaaah, the old days! I remember them well!!! I love this pic, Cat. .......

I remember that recording now, Billy and Cat, thanks for the info. Brian had a copy of it and I've played it many times but never really concentrated on the bands. I do recall I thought it was a damn funny name for a band! Don't think I ever saw them play live though.....
    Yes, that 80's pic of the DR brought back memories for me too. My God don't they all look young!!

I have a copy of that LP as well. My fave track on that has always been Straight 8's version of 'Wig Wam Willy'. Gotta LOVE Dave Jacobs' guitar sounds!

I don't have the LP to hand, so I'm trying other methods to find who was in Milky Bar Kids. I bet those members are in other bands these days.

Chrissie: Love that photo. Seeing Andy on stage always warms my heart.

Hi Cat, i think {not 100% sure} these guys were in the "Milky Bar Kids"
    Wayne Tritton
    Paul Burton
    Don Walker
    I havn't heard of them before either, i found this it may help you
    Cheers

Sydney based singer/songwriter Wayne Tritton arrived from Brisbane in 1987 as part of power pop trio The Pressmen. After releasing their debut single, Pillar Of Light, which reached the dizzying heights of #9 on the then ‘indie’ charts, the band promptly called it a day and a 2-year hiatus followed.

In 1989/90, while searching for a producer for a planned EP, Wayne was introduced to former Weddings, Parties, Anything guitarist and singer /songwriter Dave Steel, and two began a working relationship that was to last for the next 5 years. This period saw the release of the EP ‘Doin’ Just Fine’ under the name of The Madisons, a band which included Dave Steel and former Hoodoo Gurus bassist Clyde Bramley. Critically well received, the EP failed to gain much airplay, but the Madisons continued to gig for the next few years, and were rewarded somewhat for their efforts with the inclusion of a live at the wireless track being included on 2JJJ’s Totally Wired compilation, finally calling it quits in 1995.

At the same time, in a return of favour, Wayne became a member of Dave Steels’ touring and recording band, The Roadside Prophets, releasing an EP and two albums over the course of the next 4 years, culminating in an ARIA for Best Independent Release in 1994 for the album ‘Cross My Palm’. And just to keep him occupied between gigs he was also a member of critically acclaimed acoustic outfit S.T.A.B., a song writing collective featuring Wayne, Dave Steel, Jen Anderson (Black Sorrows/Weddings, Parties) and Paul Burton (Milky Bar Kids/Don Walkers Catfish). A live track included on Melbourne radio station 3RRRs ‘Used and Recorded By’ is unfortunately the only legacy this very special group left behind.

Following a disappointing European tour in mid 1994, Dave Steel relocated to his hometown of Geelong to pursue a solo career, leaving the band behind. A somewhat disillusioned Tritton moved himself to the Northern Beaches of Sydney and took an extended break from the business of making music. At the insistence of friends however, it wasn’t long before he was back on the live scene doing solo acoustic shows around Sydney, eventually teaming up with long time friend and former band mate from the Pressmen days, guitarist Steve Waters, who’d been keeping himself busy as a member of The Whippersnappers and The Lime Spiders to name a few. The pair also spent 18 months as members of The Margot Smith Band, touring extensively and releasing an EP, and are also members of Sydney based Desert Boot, whose album ‘Craving’ was released on the Blue Rose label in Europe to much critical acclaim and received wide spread airplay, especially in Germany.

Along the way Wayne has been slowly building a dedicated following on the Sydney acoustic scene ably supported by Steve. The new album, ‘ Waiting...’ contains an eclectic mix of acoustic folk tunes, guitar pop and a few out and out rockers. Described by Melbourne’s In Press magazine as “...a hairy bastard with a big voice and a swag of great songs...” and by EG magazine as “...A successful blend of those two great intangibles; rock credibility and pop sensibility...” Wayne Tritton looks set to impress an ever-increasing audience.

Thanks for the info - the track listing above is the LP I have, it was released over here (do not pay more than Ł3.99 for this record - bargain!) as "Everybody in the whole cell block" in 1985. According to the sleeve notes the Milky bar Kids were Paul Burton - bass, Andy travers - guitar and vocals, Patrick Loughrey - Drums and vocals, John hiliard - Guitar and vocals, Ian Simpson - session banjo. Flaming Star got some club play at the time, which is a brilliant version of a classic, but I preferred If You Remember Me. Not your average rockabilly band by any means (to look at them, rockabilly wouldn't have even sprung to mind) but a great sound. Was never able to track anything else by them down at the time.

Incidently, the new Dancehall racketeers line up for the tracks on this album was Rick dempster - Steel Guitar, Harmonica, vocals. Andy baylor - Guitar, electric mandolin, fiddle and vocals. Peter baylor - guitar, vocals. Donal Baylor - fiddle.Eddie colbourne - drums. Ian hayes - bass. Anyone who likes this sort of stuff should check out http://www.red-river-wranglers.com/ saw them on sunday at Hemsby. Can't recommend them enough!

The other LP I have is Aussibilly on Nervous records - The Wild cats, The Hotdogs, The dancehall racketeers, Toni and the Tomkats, The renegades, The straight 8s and the new dancehall racketeers. All liscenced from Preston Records I think. Weirdly, the sleeve features single covers from bands not on the lp such as The Stringbusters, C R and the Blue kings, the rockabilly Rebels and the preston mountain boys.
    Don't Dig Me Daddy 'Cause I'm Real Gone.....

Anyone remember the Winklepickers with Brian Horne (Lowriders) out front??

i may be wrong here but I think members of the Milky barkids went on to form the Flamin Stars.
    Billy ONeill

Well, I heard that the Milky bars morphed into the Seven Elevens back in the eightys.

If anyone is wanting to see Andy Baylor's band, his Redhot Combo is playing tonight (Sunday 1 June) at the St Kilda Bowls Club (ph 9537 0370) from 6.30pm. I expect the recently sanded floor will have had its coat of paint by now, so it should be great for dancing, and Andy's music suits all styles and levels of dance. I will be there............
    Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt