0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Thread: start up again

start up again

I am looking for some one to go to rock and roll dances with, Male or female,
    age irrelevant, I live in Lilydale, have not danced in years. But can rock and roll with the best of them. Im a bit rusty, but wont take long to fire me up again. Three rock and roll dances with me and you can rock and roll with any one. I am almost 60, Learnt when I was eight. spent many years at jailhouse rock when I was younger, can teach you very quickly, I had to teach women to rock because they could not, and if I wanted to dance with them, simple, I had to teach them quickly. I rock and roll the original way, not this new vogue stuff.
    Thanks,
    Brian.

Smile Re: start up again

Hi Brian. Welcome back to R&R dancing, and hope you 'll find a regular dance partner(s) one day very soon. From your description, it sounds like you are obviously a very experienced dancer.

You did make an interesting point in your post, viz. ....... "I rock n roll the original way, not this new vogue stuff".

Wonder if VicRock members can have the benefit of your insight to elaborate on this topic? Like, for example, what you consider "rock n roll the original way" is all about. Is it pub rock? Is it Jitterbug danced in the 1940 -50's or even before that, Lindy Hop danced in the 1930's?

And what you consider to be this new vogue stuff?

We see lots of R&R dancing styles in clubs, pubs and hotels every weekend. Perhaps the diversity in dance styles truly reflects and captures the essence and history of rock & roll here in Australia ...........

Re: start up again

I am sorry if I have upset you, as that was not my intention, I was just trying to descibe the type of dancing that I do. It is late 50's early 60's,
    I went to a few dance classes, quite a few years ago with a couple of singles groups and they were teaching a method of rock which was different to the way I rocked, They called it new vogue, (whatever that was) and I would have to teach the ladies the way I danced, I am not sure what It was, as I have never had professional lessons, It also used to throw me out of step, so I just dont know, I went to Jail house rock all round Melbourne for quite a few years and every body danced the same, I had no problem dancing with any woman, and I personally have taught countless sheilas to dance, usually after about three continual dances with me, they can dance almost with anyone, bit slow as they have to practice a bit, but I gave them enough encouragement and confidence to keep going and enjoy themselves with whoever they rocked with. If blokes like me didnt teach them, they would probably have never learnt, and would not have come back to the rock dances.
    Everbody is an individual and they all dance differently, I have no idea what type of rock I do, or what it is called, But it certainly was fast, any way, sorry if I have stood on any ones toes or upset them.
    Brian.

If your not boppin, your in your coffin.

Hi Brain again! Thanks for your additional comments on the subject. No mate, you didn't upset me at all. In fact, it really shouldn't upset anyone else as you are merely expressing an opinion which is your right. But I was curious to find out what you meant by your statement. Now I know more what you are saying .........

I agree too ....... "if you are not boppin', your in a coffin" - figuratively speaking. Really, how can one not enjoy dancing? It's such great fun!

hi brian,
    you dont need a regular partner to dance with
    as i see it these guys dance with anyone & everyone,
    there is plenty of ladies that will dance if asked,
    soooooo good luck .......
    enjoy every chance you have to dance,
    as it is a fantastic pass time,
    there are great bands & venues around,
    you just gotta get there !!! & swim with the big fish!!!
    all the best.
    "Just for the HELL of it"

Brian,

Come to the Ferntree Gully Hotel (also known as the Middle and Church) this Sunday and say hello. You probably know a whole bunch of people there already.

This weekend the band is the incomparable Moonee Valley Drifters. They mix a terrific selection of Rock, Western Swing and Zydeco. I lurve dancing to these guys

No bloke who can dance will be by himself very long.

Jitterbug has the job of dancing with all the lovelies who do not have a permanent partner and he will really appreciate having another experienced male to share the load.

PS Terry, on the matter of backstep I will start a new thread on that rather than complicate Brian's one.
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

I dance purely for fun and enjoyment, If I can help others to dance I do,
    And I can get them dancing in three dances, I learnt r&r from my two older sisters, I have no idea what you are talking about with the names or steps of dances. I just Rock and Roll. I am not a teacher. I just do it, and I Just happen to be quite good at it, as I have been dancing Rock and roll for 52 years. !958. I am very sorry now that I even asked for assistance. It was purely a personal comment, that I had made. I was trying to add a Little bit of information about my self. thats all. I am very sorry that you have been so offended.
    Brian.

Hey Brian,
    I was @ the Micawber Sunday night and Man I gotta say you can dance. It was a pleasure to see you enjoying yourself so much. I ate my dinner next to you .... you may remember me. You wont have any problems with dance steps your easy to follow.... I watched your style and many still dance the same way. So head down buddy and just enjoy. See you at gig soon I hope.
    There are some great venues going with great bands and riendly people.
    Chrissie
    Rumors are carried by haters, Spread by fools, and accepted by Idiots

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

G’day Briancanrock (BCR),
    I very much agree with RobE and suggest you attend the Sunday arvos at Flanagan’s Bar at The Ferntree Gully Hotel. Don’t worry too much if you can’t find a female (or male) to accompany you at this venue coz we are so welcoming. We accept & welcome singles AND 60 year olds with the same enthusiasm.
    As you say BCR … age is irrelevant … we say the same when we ‘Rock the Gully’. Like so many others, I’m sure you’ll enjoy this venue BCR. Being in its third successful year, Rockin’ the Gully has stood the test of time. I think the reason for the Gully’s continued success is the fact that it books the very best of Melbourne’s danceable rockabilly bands.
    They entertain punters who just dance to enjoy and need not know the name of every step they do. It gets better BCR, there’s plenty of ‘sheilas’ who I’m sure would love to participate in your 3 lesson style dance experience. You’ll find these sheilas, as well as blokes, to be very genuine and appreciative of any help received.
    Yes … genuine & appreciative … very much like yourself BCR. Welcome back to rock & roll and we invite you to share in the friendliness of the Church of Rock at the Middle Hotel Ferntree Gully this Sunday with the very reverend ‘Mooney Valley Drifters’.
    Last edited by Jazza; 27-03-2008 at 12:36 PM.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

I would like to thank all the very nice, informative and positive people who contacted me through these excellent pages and by private emails.
    Their positive support was very much appreciated.
    I have spent many hours going through the (wanting a dance partner) and I have found to my dismay a very few negative people, who with a few badly chosen words can actually put off new members from joining your excellent site. I almost was one. I would suggest that these few, should change their attitude some what, towards new members as their negativaty is not helpful. they might be the resident clowns known to you all, but new members do not know this and should be given half a chance to find this out for themselves at a later date. I almost dropped out of your site because of this, and I would have gone away with an illinformed and misguided opinion of your excellent forum and the very nice people it contains because of a few badly chosen words from a negative and misguided few. I stand solidly on my own two feet. But some male and certainly females would find these comments very hard to handle, and being jumped on, when first visiting this site, I personally wonder how many people have not continued on and Totally dropped out permanently from your site.
    The format and information on these pages is absolutely magnificent. you have done a marvellous job and should be commended.
    Thank you one and all.
    THANK YOU, once again, to all the people who contacted me and positively supported me in my quest for information through these pages. It is a shame that we got off to such a bad start.
    Thanking you,
    Brian.
    briancanrock.

pretty good post !!

"Just for the HELL of it"

I feel it's about time we move on from this thread. But in doing so, I like to acknowledge and thank Briancanrock's appreciation of VicRock's high standard in terms of its format and the information offered.

I feel glad too that in regard to your specific thread and, from what I have read, you have received only positive comments and support from all VicRock members. I wish you success in finding many new dance partners, and in spending many happy hours dancing rock & roll which many of us VicRock members thoroughly enjoy.

In regard to the negative comments you have referred to, let me assure you that VicRock moderators and the Administrator have in the past, and are continuing, to monitor all the threads posted in the forum. If you have read all those posts (and replies) carefully, you would have noticed that VicRock moderators/administrator have, in all cases, taken action where it was deemed necessary. VicRock forum certainly does not support nor encourage negative comments amongst members. In fact, we do take immediate action when we are aware of such instances to ensure members are being respectful of one another's views, and to stop abuses when exercising freedom of speech and thoughts here.

All members who wish to contact "Briancandance" can continue to do so by using VicRock's private message facility.