01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Smile "Ignition" Blast Off!

I reckon the "Ignition" guys must have deliberately pumped rocket fuel in their tank when they debut at "Nash-ville" last night. Once the switch was turned on and fired up, it was go... go.... go.... all the way! Their performance was loud & aggressive but also high performance & full of passion. It was raw but yet totally unadulterated, full blast, in your face high rockabilly. The 2 Daves & Peter gave their all in a performance aimed to thrill and excite the crowd. And yes, these 3 guys are hugely talented - not only do they share the vocals, they also on more than one occasion swapped between themselves to play another musical instrument. Talk about multi - skilling in the work place ...........

I missed the first set but what I heard included a selection of Straycats and other rockabilly favourites plus a couple with "AHT" reminiscence. The music tempo generally was raised a bar or two during the night but that only encouraged young Myspace's "V Sambo" and her "youngies" mates kicking up their heels on the dance floor. What a lovely, heart warming sight to see the youngies and the young at hearts dancing together and having a great time. No generation gap in rockabilly gigs, perhaps?

Remember our young "Kallel" who recently wrote on Vicrock seeking a dance partner? Well, he should have been here last night as the Nash was just about taken over by all these youngies who seemed to have a great time happily dancing, drinking & chatting or playing pools.

I too had a good time last night. My dancing bones are feeling a bit weary this morning but like they say - the flesh is weak but the spirit is still willing! Wish I still have the same energy level as young V Sambo.........LOL

Well done to the Ignition guys for a great debut at Monash. And best of luck for your future performances - you guys have done Melbourne's rockabilly proud!

Re: "Ignition" Blast Off!

Very nearly a good start for this band. The energy, the excitement and their interesting arrangements of some of the classics were just a bit spoiled by a muddy sound mix. Pushing too hard for "it goes to 11" volume impact resulted in distortions that spoiled the clarity of the presention.

But I did dance all night and I will go to see them again.

(Did I really spot Dee's Runnaway Boys uniform back on stage or was I remembering someone special we lost?)
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

With the talented members this band has and the way these boys can sing I am sure they will go well and entertain us for a long time to come - too much talent for anything other to happen.
    On a side note I saw on the Atomic Hi Tones web site that the had listed "Ignition" as friends and gave the band a nice plug. I thought that was a real class act to support a couple of former members who have gone their own way - so different to hearing of some of the nasty things that are said and done when band members leave their bands on occassions......

Thumbs up Re: "Ignition" Blast Off!

Jitterbug couldn't of said it any better..... What a great nite!

The room was jumping and the atmosphere was fantastic. The crowd really got behind the guys as they gave it their all. It was great to see Brian Francis and Kid get up during the nite & play a few songs with the boys.

Congatulations guys on your debut gig...YOU ROCK!

Team Nash

I’d just like to say a very big thank you to all the people that came down to support ‘Ignition’ in our Debut performance. We greatly appreciated all the great feedback, well wishes and support. Pete, Dizzy & I had an absolute blast and can’t wait for the next one.

@RobE we will try and keep the volume under 11 next time lol :-)

Thanks to all and look forward to seeing you at the next one..

Dave ‘Ignition’

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Wink Re: "Ignition" Blast Off!

I fully agree with you Jitterbug &TGGSB … bucket loads of talent in this band. Prior commitments kept me away but I’m glad ignition’s inaugural gig went down successfully.
    Hey RobE … As Pete Mawson shouted at me during a gig one night, “If it’s too loud, yer too old” and I agree. (with his right to think whatever he likes).
    The 2 loudest bands I ever saw was Midnight Oil at the FTGH about 20years ago and Dave Hole & band @ the Central Club (15 years ago).
    Both acts left me with a 4 day ear ring … but no ear bleed. The only recent band that could come close to that volume was rockabilly band ‘Vavoom’ at Halfpenny’s in Frankston (bout 4 years back).
    With the right attitude of aggressive volume, I predict that these boys can be the next contenders to take out the ‘Volume Title’ and I wanna be at that particular gig when they achieve it. The rockabilly scene is always hungry for variety and you guys will provide a choice for the young.
    So boys … stay loud … stay aggressive … and stay young. Don’t stagnate on 11. Aim for 12 and the title. Good luck and catch you guys at a gig down the track real soon.
    Jazzman.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

It is with some disappointment that I write this reply.

Nowhere in my piece did I say “too loud”.

I like R’n’R music to be hard and strong.

Getting the sound mix right is not just to do gain levels; the key is balance so that each instrument has its own distinct voice but still melds with the sound of whole ensemble. One of the prime issues on Saturday night was the lead guitar struggling to add the necessary colour when it was really required.

(Occasionally clichés and catch-phrases are apt, most of the time they are an alternative to thinking. Yes I am too old but that is to do with the number of times the sun has come up since I was born. The Oils - another pop band with a marketing edge. While you guys were in nappies I was privileged to see the mod Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs close the Screaming Lord Sutch Show at Festival Hall. In those days you did not listen to music with your ears you experienced it with your whole body.)
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Hey GUys,
    Bring it on!!
    I had no doubt you would pull it off....three already estabished talented musos...did not expect anything less!!
    Look forward to seeing you guys real soon!!
    Well Done!!
    Lushes & all the BOys xx

Hey guys sorry I wasn't there. The news traveled all the way to Tamworth what a great night you delivered. Can't wait till the next gig coming up. Saw some pix of the night, how cool to see Brian on the skins.
    cheers
    Chrissie

Yeah I was there, and these guys were awesome!

Raw energy, and a Raw Sound that came across hard and fast. Such a talented bunch of guys, came together sooooo well.

Keep up the unique sound boys, dont change a thing!!

Jon

Hey, after receiving a call at 2.30am New Zealand time, from a mate at the Monash who said... "Ignition are on fire...what a blast"...I can't wait to catch them....

yep !!!! i also missed a good night, not my own doing though !!!!
    sooooooo guys when is the next gig ????
    and where is it gunna be ????
    cos i reckon by then i will be hangin out big time to hear you !!!
    you guys are dynamite as individuals let alone as a group!!!

"Just for the HELL of it"

Mark this date in your calender Baby Ruth
    8th MARCH @ THE NASH
    Louis King
    Straight 8's
    IGNITION
    For those of us that missed out last Sat night, I'm sure the 8th March will make up for us not being there.
    PS There is a $5 entry fee
    Chrissie

Gee..... thanks chrissy,
    these guys are so down to earth it is a real bonus,
    cant wait to see them......

nice photos from tamworth !!
    you could be the next bass slapin` chickeeeee
    Wooooo Hooooo !!!!!

look out pete !!!!
    "Just for the HELL of it"