01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

43rd Annual Vic Hot Rod Show 25,26,27,28 Jan

The Atomic Hi-Tones have been booked again to appear at the Exhibitian Buildings on the Saturday afternoon/evening of the 43rd Annual Vic Hot Rod Show.
    Hot Rods on display at this prestigeous event are by invitation only with the best of the magnificent on show.

The Exhibition Buildings has a sea of of polished timber floor and the band has been asked to throw in some Elvis material and other favourites of the 50's so if you want to make the most of this opportunity to rock till you drop in this historical architectural icon surrounded by chrome and polish, this is it.

Dance instructors may find this a great opportunity to showcase their talents to the passing audience also.

1000's of people from the general public as well as vehicle enthusiasts come to this event.
    Last year the band was upstairs but this year they will be situated on the lower level.
    Friday 25th Jan - 12 noon to 10pm
    Saturday 26th Jan - 10am to 10pm - Band from late afternoon until close.
    Sunday 27th Jan - 10am to 10pm
    Monday 28th Jan - 10am toto 6pm

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thumbs up Re: 43rd Annual Vic Hot Rod Show 25,26,27,28 Jan

There’s no doubt why the brains-trust of the Victorian Hot Rod Association have made it’s wise decision to include live rock & roll music during the 43rd VHRA Melbourne Hot Rod Show… It’s popular!!! This is the Wimbledon of all Hot Rod shows in Oz.
    Hundreds of thousands of people will pass through the historic exhibition buildings over the Australia day long weekend. They will be dazzled by the finest in rod, croozer, bike & other SIV’s.
    Some of the viewing public will be mesmerised by the jitterbug-jumpin’ dancers that will rock to the live sounds of one of Melbourne’s finest rockabilly bands in the Atomic Hi-Tones.
    This show is an excellent opportunity for our rock & roll community to be exposed to the masses in the form of dance, gig promo or just verbally informing the general public what we are about.
    This year, the Atomics are positioned on the ground floor during the shows busiest time (6pm) on the Saturday night. This will make for maximum exposure.
    Below is my rap of the 42nd 2007 show with a cuppla pix. Unfortunately, there’s none of the dancing but I’ll make up for it this year with heaps of pix & vids.
    PS. Any enquiries re: dance demos/schools can be made through this site. Or just rock up and strut ya stuff.

Hot Rod Rockin’ at the Exhibition Buildings.
    The 42nd annual Victorian Hot Rod show was another display of what big bucks and imagination can produce in the form of a smooth ride. Amongst the multi-million dollar exhibits and aftermarket hot rod & performance car traders, was another superb exhibit in the form of rockabilly entertainment. The Atomic Hi-Tones displayed their sounds on the upper floor of this fully restored and classified building.
    As stated before, “The largest wooden dance floor in Victoria”. The Atomics had a steady stream of inquisitive car enthusiasts climbing two flights of stairs to see from where those awesome sounds were emanating. The on-lookers were riveted to the sound as well as witnessing this fun-time style of dancing. You can tell the people who rarely see, or witness R&R dancing for the first time; they’re the ones tapping their feet with this huge smile on their face.
    Great to see Melbourne dancers showing the crowd how they go about having fun whilst struttin’ their rock & roll stuff. Amongst the dancers were VicRocks Icon & Sue, Mel & Essex, Rusty & Joy, Whem plus the Black Hat people and even dancers from Shepparton. Jivecats Nigel & Linda were very impressive on the dance floor. They were handing out heaps of their dance class pamphlets to those smiley foot tappers. There were many inquiries about venues and dances / dance schools around Melbourne and a large number of CD’s were sold. I bet the AHT’s didn’t mind that at all.
    Personally, the best part of the afternoon for me was during a band break when this elderly woman told me how impressed she was with the standard of the displayed vehicles we have in Melbourne. Being a tourist from London, she was knocked out by the added bonus of seeing some excellent dancing to an excellent band. She was just drooling when I introduced her to the Hi-Tones’ London & Cornwall boys in Pete Mawson & Kevin Spiers. They made her feel so welcome as we took some photos. Her name was Joy and before leaving she said “You Aussie’s are just wonderful and I’ve never felt fitter since I took up rock & roll dancing back in London, I’m 70 years old and I dance every week” …… what a sweetie.
    The Melbourne rock & roll / rockabilly scene most certainly made some new friends on Saturday and I think anyone who has danced or performed in this magnificent building should feel privileged as there will come a time when this will be impossible. And just on the point of beautifully restored and classified buildings, did you know?... in a small capacity… VicRocks own Whem was involved with the Exhibition Building’s restoration. I’m sure the feedback will be positive for the Victorian Hot Rod Association and maybe … inclusion of VRRDA dance demo’s at the 2008 show???
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Cool Re: 43rd Annual Vic Hot Rod Show 25,26,27,28 Jan

Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Re: 43rd Annual Vic Hot Rod Show 25,26,27,28 Jan

Went to this event last year, getting itchy feet & can't wait to get there this year!!! Adding the fantastic sounds of Rock & Roll (perticularly provided by the AHT's) is one of the best things the organisers could have done to make what was always a great event even better. If your there & see some menacing looking guys in Black Hats that will be us come over & say hi.

I made the trip over from Perth to see this fantastic show and it was even better than expected with the sounds of the High-Tones filtering thru the great halls.

Thumbs up Re: 43rd Annual Vic Hot Rod Show 25,26,27,28 Jan

No second prizes for guessing why THe Atomics got this gig... The proof is in the Bookings...By the way Ando.. Are we related? You look familliar..

DOH!!!! Sorry about that.