0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Random Member Photos

Closed Thread

A Gully New Year

What a busy time its been. NYE was a night off for me, but not quite. I usually wind up helping out somehow and early in the day I did. Sound man Bruce was hired by the FTG management to do the the PA for the night, but since Bruce is a good mate, we rocked up at 1.30pm to help him load in gear.

Martin from Werribee way stayed with us, so he roadied too.
    After running a few leads for Bruce I left the guys and played the pokies, read my book I got for Christmas and chilled out on one of the hotel lounges with a glass of red before the night started.

Cliff brought with us 3 big industrial fans to keep the bands cool, so they were probably in the coolest spot all night.

Hotel mangaement made sure the bands had plenty of drinks and bottles of water plus dinner. I even got something really nice from the hotel to thank me for all the flyers I print up for the Gully through the year.

It was a long night because of the dinner deal offered by the hotel with people who had booked for dinner, flowing in around 6.15pm.
    I might add, it was a really nice dinner and excellent value.
    The Saucers started at 7.30pm and alternated with the Atomics who played until 1.30am.
    I thought the Air con had given up until I went down stairs and struck the wall of heat.
    At the start of the night the snare drum was unbelievably loud. Probably a lead I ran got connected to the wrong drum mic. I will take the blame. A bit of a drama for Bruce to figure out in full flight, but he got there.
    I'm not sure whether, there were many who had heat stroke or many with the effects of alcohol but there were a few looking like they'd had a big night (including me).
    At the end of the night, we helped Bruce get his gear out then went over to the motel units for a quick visit with the girls.
    I think we got to bed around 4am.

The crowd was mixed with locals, over 28's, familiar faces and even some people who had flown down from Brisbane especially for the night, who said they had the best night and really glad they made the effort. While in Melbourne they checked out some other bands and made the most of the local scene.

The entertainment room is a big room to fill, but it got there. The hotel would have been pleased with the night.
    The Flyin Saucers and Atomic Hi-Tones make a great combo for a night out and they didn't disappoint NYE. The bands work hard to give great entertainment.

Our daughters paid $150/head to go to some pub at Albert Park for New Year, so I would rate New Years Eve at the Gully as exceptional value all round.

The Gully Sundays kick off on the 27th Jan with a multi band special. The next day is a public holiday so Georgia the FTG manager suggested making the first one a big one, so thats the plan.

I hope everyone had a lovely time over Christmas and the New Year with your loved ones and friends and continue doing so for the next few weeks, before getting back into the swing of things. But if you are ready to rock and roll, its all happening this weekend at Phillip Island. Might see you there.

Maryann

Re: A Gully New Year

Wow! everyone has had a great New Year by the looks of it and this is a good write up. Thanks for the in-depth review Figjam, although I wasn't there, I have a bit of a feel for what it was like.

It was a hot one alright, I don't think it would matter where you were, the night was hot, hot, hot!!

Happy New Year to all Vicrock members.

---------------------------------------------------------
    And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy....

Essex Guest

Re: A Gully New Year

I would just like to confirm what Maryann said. New Years Eve a good night and a lovely crowd, I had a great time. The party continued in the motel I believe

It is an excellent venue a bit warm at times but you could go and stand at the back of the room to cool off. It didn't stop anyone dancing and considering the temperature outside, no-one could complain.

The food was nice and I was surprised how many were there for the meal as well. It started the night off well and gave us all a chance to talk before the music started.

Loved the bands and I always enjoy Kevin's 'extras'.

I would do it all again = can't wait for the gully to get back up and running.

Sue

Thumbs up Re: A Gully New Year

Right on gents. The gully was kookin. I had a great time stirring up the regulars.But as the night wore on I became a little uneasy. Earlier I was told that At the stroke of twelve I could possibly be kissed on the lips by some of the ladies that use new year,s eve as an excuse to relieve themselves of their pent up emotions ...I was so scared I hid in the toilets till it was all over....
    Last edited by icon; 04-01-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: to close to the truth