01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Thumbs up VicRock Musicians Forum

Here is an opening for musicians that frequent this site to chat through this thread. Let's keep the topic 'all things musical'.

There are many seasoned and new muso's in the rock'n'roll scene with lot's of stories to tell. This would also be a good forum to discuss our gear and any tips we may have, like amp settings, guitar setups, recommendations of your favorite guitar/drum tech and so on. Sax players, keyboard players, singers etc would make great contributions to this thread.

Any questions can be answered by other knowledgeable forum members. For the sake of a consistent thread, may I suggest we conduct the forum as follows:

1: Musicians only
    2: Keep discussions to musical and gear related topics
    3: Keep personal issues out of this arena
    4: Make this forum full of great and useful information that musicians can share

~~~~~~~~
    About me:
    ~~~~~~~~
    My name is Jack Moon, a guitarist/vocalist with rock'n'roll band: The E.P.4

I am an experienced player spending my rock'n'roll band initiation with Tina & The Tornadoes, a band that featured Andrew King on piano/vocals. I have also spent many years on the gig scene with the Anita Moon band, solo and producing/engineering work in my studio.

After a 7 year break from gigs, I took the plunge and courtesy of a VicRock post, hooked up with double bass player 'SlappinSimon', his brother Jamie (drums) and guitarist/vocalist Steve Hands. We have been rehearsing our rock'n'roll tunes over the past weeks and we're not too far off gigging.

My areas of interest are: guitars, amps, stomp boxes, vocal harmony arranging, midi sequencing and general 50's music knowledge. I would like to discuss any of these and other topics with fellow VicRock muso's.
    Cheers, JM

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Talking Re: VicRock Musicians Forum

FYI ... John there is a section in the forum named Muso Rap, oh and about all things musical good luck heh...

Thumbs up Re: VicRock Musicians Forum

Frank is obviously a drummer.

My question is to Stratocaster owners. I own a Japanese Strat and want to replace the pickups with Kinman AVN62's. I'm not sure of the pickups that are already in this axe and although they sound ok they don't ring like a 62 model. I know Hank Marvin and David Gilmore use the Kinman's so i'd be interested in your opinion if you have them in your Strat.

Damn straight Strato , at least i get to the gig on time (first) and leave last. oh and whilst I'm there I lasso Guitarists just to keep their big heads in line. and can you guitarists do what your supposed to do? that is play when required? I'll that never crossed your mind huh ? Oh a Drummer asked you that.. lollllllll

Re: VicRock Musicians Forum

Hey Stratoman

I've never used Kinman AVN62's but I hear theyre pretty good, But in my other life as a guitarist, I own a Mexican Fender Strat and a Japanese Squire Strat. Both came with pick ups that sounded like elastic bands on a tissue box.

I wanted the classic strat sound with the Fender so I took of the Tijuana El-Cheapo Pick Ups and replaced them with Fender Noiseless Classic Single Coils. For me, they do the job for anything from Shadows right through to Simple Minds. Great for anything clean to slightly overdriven.

My Squire on the other hand rocks.. It has Seymour Duncan Cool-Rails and theyre great for anything from Hank Marvin, Dick Dale, Clapton, Beck and Van Halen. The output level is amazing.

Cheers
    Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Oi settle down Strato what ever you are, at least i get to the gig on time (first) and leave last. oh and whilst I'm there I lasso Guitarists just to keep the big heads in line.. Oh a Drummer told you that.. lollllllll

Hey why is a drummer posting to a musicians forum?... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Because you love me, and I'm always ready to jump on when needed thats why buddddyyyyy....

Hi Bassthumper.

I heard somewhere that the Fender Noiseless p/ups are based on the Kinman design so that's a positive and I really like those p/ups. I think I should check them out with the Kinman's and see just what the difference is. I was never too sure about the duncans so I should add them on the to-do list.
    Twang Twang it's the Strat-0-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Strat-0-Man View Post
    Hi Bassthumper.

I heard somewhere that the Fender Noiseless p/ups are based on the Kinman design so that's a positive and I really like those p/ups. I think I should check them out with the Kinman's and see just what the difference is. I was never too sure about the duncans so I should add them on the to-do list.

The difference between the Kinmans and the Fenders would be the price I;d reckon. A set of Fenders only cost be 350 bucks from Billys in Flemington.

But yeah the Seymours are really nice... Well I like em.. But I'm a bass player so you better listen to em first,..LOL

Thumper

Hello all,

Thought I'd add to this post and give it a bump.

I am a Double Bass player (also play the Sousaphone). I use a GK700RBII with a SBX 410 Cab. I have a West German Hofner Double Bass with Clef gut strings, an Underwood pickup and a BOSS 12H tuner.

I play both Jazz bands about Melbourne and play in the newly formed and nearly ready to gig 50's Rock'n'Roll band called "The EP4". (As already mentioned by "jackmoon")

Any other bass players want to comment on what strings or pickups they use?

Smile Re: VicRock Musicians Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Strat-0-Man View Post
    My question is to Stratocaster owners. I own a Japanese Strat and want to replace the pickups with Kinman AVN62's. I'm not sure of the pickups that are already in this axe and although they sound ok they don't ring like a 62 model........
    My Stratocaster is fitted with Kinman 62 avn's and it's pretty much how I envision a 62 sound to be. I use Chris Rea's sound and the sound of Chris Isaac's 'Wicked Game' guitarist sound as a reference point for that classic and elusive 62 strat tone. I must admit the fender noiseless pickups are gaining in popularity as their crisp highs are sweet ala Mark Knopfler's classic sound.

I guess you'd like to know if I recommend the Kinman's and the answer is a definite yes, but you should checkout the alternatives, including those suggested by Bassthumper.
    Cheers, JM

Re the Stratocaster sound.. I've played quite a few actual '60-'62 Strats and the tone varies from one to the other. Of all the Kinman pickups, I think his '69 Woodstock sets sound the best. I got a bit sick of trying to get certain sounds out of Strats, so I sold my last one and I've gone back to Teles, and I've gone back to the original Mexican pickups in my cheap Tele and I'm mighty happy with them. Happy pluckin!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    .... I've gone back to Teles, and I've gone back to the original Mexican pickups in my cheap Tele and I'm mighty happy with them. Happy pluckin!
    I have a Fender Tommy Emmanuel Tele (Mex). The original pickups were nothing special so I replaced them with the Kinman Broadcaster's (neck/bridge) and a Kinman AVN '62 in the middle position. My aim was to get that early gritty Tele sound reminiscent of Paul Burlinson (Johnny Burnette Trio) and the Broadcasters certainly lived up to that. This guitar always attracts comments from fellow guitarists and it is one of my favorite axes.

If you are interested in their sound, I can upload a sound byte from one of the tunes I am recording.
    Cheers, JM

Quote Originally Posted by jackmoon View Post
    .... Kinman Broadcaster's (neck/bridge) and a Kinman AVN '62 in the middle position. My aim was to get that early gritty Tele sound reminiscent of Paul Burlinson (Johnny Burnette Trio) and the Broadcasters certainly lived up to that....... If you are interested in their sound, I can upload a sound byte from one of the tunes I am recording.
    Hi jackmoon. Where can I download the sound bytes? You got me interested in those broadcaster p/ups and I'm thinking of the Paul Burlinson sound too.
    Twang Twang it's the Strat-0-Man

wat my real estate agent said "Location Location!!"

i've got a 82 U.S.A Fender Telecaster, years ago i liked the rear pick-up with the bite and twang so i changed the front silver pick-up, took it out and put in a front and a middle stratacastor pick ups, kept the 3 way switch and just changed it to a 5 way switch, it's funny the first 4 switch positions give me the Strat sounds and the last posi gives me that Tele twang, then later i had the middle pick up changed to a Hot Rail which has more gain and gives some nice natural break up.

But after i brought my first guitar with HUMBUCKERS i've never looked back and i'm constantly mucking around with the Tele to search for a sound which i'll probably never find, and it takes a back seat to my Yamaha AES 1500, with DeMazio DLX1's which can switch from humbucker to single coil as well.

cheers
    Dom
    Rock'n'roll will stand man - If i'm lying i'm dying

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyDom View Post
    .... But after i brought my first guitar with HUMBUCKERS i've never looked back and i'm constantly mucking around with the Tele to search for a sound which i'll probably never find, and it takes a back seat to my Yamaha AES 1500, with DeMazio DLX1's which can switch from humbucker to single coil as well.
    I recently checked out and purchased the 'Schecter Corsair', a 335 styled guitar with Seymour Duncan designed humbucker/split pickups. I had to get it from the USA because Australian models only came in black and walnut. I had to be choosy and wanted a tobacco sunburst model, only found in the America.

This guitar cost under a grand, including shipping, and its exceptional sound and features (it also has a bigsby) means I can take just one guitar to rehearsals and gigs, thanks to the palette of sounds from the humbucker/split pickup configuration.
    Cheers, JM

Hello guys,

Just to add my 2 cents worth and give the thread a bump;

Matt Hunt, I play a Christopher Double bass that I got set up and shipped to the UK by Brent Norton of Norton Customs in the USA.

Pickup is a K&K Rockabilly Bass Max that I plug straight into;

Ashdown ABM 57W Evo II head, which sits on;

Eden 210XLT
    Peavey Pro 115

No effects, no equaliser, nothing, just plain and straightforward

Oh, I do employ plenty of sponge in the F-holes to negate feedback - does this count as gear?

ha ha

I play anything Billy or R&R; anything that needs a doghouse basically.

Cheers

Matthew

PS I do have a Custom Fender Jazz and a Landing Shortscale Custom but I havent played these for years. I have been solely playing slap doghouse for ages. Also have a 94 Fender Strat which is an absolute peach to play and a Patrick Eggle Single that my pal had custom built.

PPS I have been toying with the idea of changing my pickup setup - the K&K at the moment is a combination bridge and neck piezo that run through a stereo cable - I was thinking of splitting the signal and passing the neck pickup via a K&K Quantum mixer to a smaller guitar amp that would sit on top of my rig, cos then I could add some reverb to the click to double it up like they did in the 50's. Theres a flaw in the plan though - I spent all my money moving over from the UK so the coffers are empty! I'll stick with my current setup for now I think.