0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whats in your Bass Rig and Bass Set Up?

I'd be interested in what setup and gear other bass players have in there Rigs and on their basses. Include what styles you play, and strings, pickups etc. This would be a useful thread for bass players looking to get new gear (like me) or for new bass players wanting to get their bass set up or get some bass gear.
    I have a West German Hofner Double Bass. I use Clef gut strings and a Roland Cube (60wats). Underwood pickup with only one side in (E string side) and have a BOSS 12H tuner. I Play or have played Jazz, Rockabilly/Rock 'n Roll, Bluegrass and Swing.
    Who wants to go next?

Re: Whats in your Bass Rig and Bass Set Up?

Great thread Simon.... My double bass is an authentic "Oriental Ebay".. LOL. Still nowhere near ready for use on stage.. Thats the bass AND the player.

My rig is pretty straight forward actually but really puts out a nice fat sound for me.

Basses:
    Fender Precision 1978 S Series with passive split P pickups. This bass is scratched covered with cigarette burns, beaten around. Its my life's story in wood.. LOL. Just had it reworked and she's still a Crimson Bombshell.

Yamaha RBX374 5 String Bass with 2 x Active Humbucking Pickups. Great sound for more contemporary stuff. Ocassionally use it with the Prairie's though.

Amp:
    Trace Elliott AH250. A beast of a machine that weighs a tonne but the warmest sound you can get without using tubes.

Cab:
    Larantz 15" Bass Speaker : Great frequency range with a fat, warm (not boomy) sound. This thing is built locally and I highly recommend any bass player to check them out. It doesnt work hard at all and effortly pushes out great sub sonics. If you play on a small stage the low end changes your metabolism.

Strings: Rotosound Roundwound 45s to 105s

Have played across many styles from Country, RocknRoll, Hard Rock, Blues, Jazz, Swing, Latin, Metal, Punk, Funk.... and quite a few wog weddings too... LOLOL

Thumper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Simon you can use anything you like ol son as long as you DON'T play Bass like you would play a guitar, god that's annoying, oops theres that word again...

Smile Re: Whats in your Bass Rig and Bass Set Up?

I don't know why you drummers try to involve yourselves in 'real' musicians discussions. Are drummers actually musicians? Nyk Nyk Nyk!!! (sorry cous..)

Fun aside - Simon's actually a rip roaring double bass player who plays like.. well, a rip roaring double bass player. Anyhow, there are already 2 guitarists in this band (me included) so there's no room for another one.

Simon - what's the deal? Any luck with the new gear?
    Cheers, JM

AGGGHHH.... I'm so confused. Tried out some gear on the weekend. Ashdown MAG 300 and a MAG210 with a MAG115 and a ABM 500 with MAG210 with a MAG115 and also the same gear with just the MAG210 and Just the MAG115. I think with just the one box it was better with just the MAG115. As I turned up the MAG300 it got a bit muddy where the ABM didnt. Need to see if the MAG600 gets rid of this problem.
    I hate shopping.

I know how it feels - would be great if your could borrow your preferred set up and try it at PG.
    Cheers, JM

(I posted my setup in the last thread you started)

What's wrong with the rig you got? It looks OK to me. What do you use for a preamp?

Cheers
    Tv

My "rig" is still only a Roland Cube (60wats). Underwood pickup with only one side in (E string side) and have a BOSS 12H tuner. Thats it. Sounds great, just not loud enough. No preamp or anything. Just the Pickup straight into the Cube.
    Have been looking at Ashdowns but not got anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappinSimon View Post
    My "rig" is still only a Roland Cube (60wats). Underwood pickup with only one side in (E string side) and have a BOSS 12H tuner. Thats it. Sounds great, just not loud enough. No preamp or anything. Just the Pickup straight into the Cube.
    Have been looking at Ashdowns but not got anything yet.
    I just put an Ashdown up for sale on ebay last night... Its an EB180 "Electric Blue". I only bought it two months ago brand new and only used it once.. That was last Saturday at George's. Its a great little amplifier. The reason I'm selling it is because when I bought it I was wanting to have a spare as a back up to my Trace Elliott. Since then however, I've managed to get hold of an Ampeg SVG. There was no room for three bass heads and a missus in the same house... The Ashdown lost

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=270167054088

Also, last year I had a 15 inch speaker and cab made for me by Larantz in Dandenong. Man this thing hardly exerts itself and the warmth is pretty awesome. We even bought two subs four our PA from them and the difference is amazing. I dont have contact details on hand but look them up and check out their bass speakers.

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

I saw that on E-Bay. The Electric Blue is 175watts and I think I want more than that (300+)

Next time Im in Dandenong I will check out the speaker place. I think I know where it is.

Thanx again

Quote Originally Posted by SlappinSimon View Post
    I saw that on E-Bay. The Electric Blue is 175watts and I think I want more than that (300+)

Next time Im in Dandenong I will check out the speaker place. I think I know where it is.

Thanx again

Yeah.. My Trace is 250W and eventhough the PA system will throw out the bass across the room, you're right you do need more grunt on stage to keep your head above drummers and guitarists.. LOLOL
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Hey Simon,
    Not loud enough huh? What sort of music you playing? I also use a Lorantz cabinet that Michael designed specifically for URB. It's a 2 x 12 with a big HF Horn. It's small, lightweight and plenty loud enough. It's also satisfactory for EB. I've always used Lorantz speaker enclosures and probably will never use anything else.

Seeing you use a Underwood pup, try plugging a Fishman Pro EQ Platinum (or similar) between you pup and Roland Cube so at least you've heard the difference betwwen a system thru a preamp and you current system without a preamp. You may be pleasantly surprised and save your self a shipload of money.
    Cheers
    Tv

Not loud enough huh? What sort of music you playing? I also use a Lorantz cabinet that Michael designed specifically for URB. It's a 2 x 12 with a big HF Horn. It's small, lightweight and plenty loud enough. It's also satisfactory for EB. I've always used Lorantz speaker enclosures and probably will never use anything else.
    But what watts is your system - My cube is only 60watts with one 12” (I think it’s a 12- maybe a 10”) speaker. So already you are pushing twice the air.

Seeing you use a Underwood pup, try plugging a Fishman Pro EQ Platinum (or similar) between you pup and Roland Cube so at least you've heard the difference between a system thru a preamp and you current system without a preamp. You may be pleasantly surprised and save your self a shipload of money.
    I get plenty of volume from the Cube. We practice with it with drums and two other guitars and PA we play loudish. My Cube cuts this without a problem on about 4 or 5. I do jazz gigs with it and never go over about 2. The cube is a great amp, and great sound, but is still only 60 watts and in a Rock'n'Roll Band gig, I can’t see it being enough, even with the house PA as support. I think you are saying with a pre-amp I will get more gain and therefore more output, but still only to 60watts. I love my Cube and don’t want to be running it on gigs at 8-9 and stuff it up. They are hard to find 2nd hand now. Am I still missing your point or am I on the wrong track of what you are saying all together??

it's takem ne years to get the sound i want. Its getting the right combination of amp, strings and bass. My bass is a 70 year old Chzech Ligner bass. has the most awesome resonant sound acoustically so when amplified it tends to feedback when using a piezo type pick up. I have recently found through ebay a great magnetic pickup. It's called a Krivo--easy to install but of course I have had to go back to a steel based string so I've gone for Eurosonics-they are great--they have a gut feel but they have enough steel content to make them suitable for a magnetic pick up. of course with a magnetic pickup feedback is minimal and controllable. Also with the Krivo their is no need for aa finger board pickup to pick up the slap sound. I use a Gallien Kruger 700 RB amp into an 8ohm GK quad box and a Sovtek 8 ohm 15 inch cab. I also use a 30 band graphic equaliser. As well as all that i use a Fishman bass preamp. This is a great little unit with a few controls including graphic to tweak your sound, also a phase swith for help with feedback control.and its all at your fingertips without walking back to the amp. Before settling on all of this I have tried a GK B2 amp, into 2 quads. pure gut strings, no preamp, no graohic equliser--and I was bever haooy with it but now I am--hope this helps--cheers John

Simon, I'm not trying to make a specific point. If your ruig is loud enough but you dont wanna run it full bore then it may be headroom you're after which means more grunt. I use a Eden WT400 (400 watts @ 4ohms) to power my cab and the cab has been matched to the amp output. Remember also that to get twice the volume you need ten times the power.
    I have a bass setup similar to jonboi. Plywood CCB with Schaller mag pup and Eurosonics. I do use a piezo dot under the fingerboard and run the two pups into a K&K dual preamp (stereo in/mono out) and its very easy to set up the sound no matter what rig I'm plugged into.

Good luck with choosing an amp. I've had heaps. I like the look and sound of the new EBS gear. I was at a show where Craig Newmann was playing through an EBS system and it sound fantastic (not a bad bass player either :-) )

Cool Re: Whats in your Bass Rig and Bass Set Up?

Simon's double bass through his new Gallien Kruger artist series bass rig is awesome! Top choice by The EP4 bassman. Good decisions are made when you have Simon's patience. I wish I had some of that !!. Rock on and look out - The EP4 are about to land.
    Cheers, JM

I've been meaning to update this. Thanks for the update Jack.

I now have a GK700RBII with a SBX 410 Cab. I have a West German Hofner Double Bass. I use Clef gut strings. Underwood pickup and a BOSS 12H tuner.

Can’t wait to be using it in our fist Rock'n'Roll Gig.

Go Simon. Looks like a good all round rig. Who do you play with and where can we see you perform?
    Cheers
    Tony

I play with a new 50's Rock'n'Roll Band called The EP4

Still working on the band at the moment but we will make a big announcement when we are ready and Gigging.

Also play around town in Jazz Gigs as well, but don't have anything coming up at the moment. (As always seems to happen when you get some new gear and can’t get enough of using it)

http://www.myspace.com/theep4
    http://www.myspace.com/slappinsimon

So this is where you hang out when you're not on Rockabillybass.com!!
    Not much point telling you what's in my rig then....I already did.