The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Random Member Photos

Closed Thread
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Smile In ear monitoring

Is anyone here using an in ear monitoring UHF system, as Im sick and tired of carrying my 15in powered fold back Monitor around, If so I'd like some advise on.. "Which one" Also
    Remembering that I don't have a spare 2G's to spend on a Shure System...Cheers...

Re: In ear monitoring

Hi Cous.

'In Ear' monitoring is very good however the drawback is you lose connection with the crowd. From my experience and those I have worked with, this method of fold back is better in the studio.
    Cheers, JM

Connection with the Crowd?? Im a Drummer for christ sake what connection do I have hahahaha..
    Seriously I'm using a hard wired system now Jack, a little 2 chan head phone amp and some serious buds, and sometimes only one bud, works fine but I'm restricted I move this way or that way I rip things out, thats why I would love to try wireless....

Thumbs up Re: In ear monitoring

Frank,...I've been singing for quite some time now and always find it hard to hear PA foldbacks, I've just purchased Shure PSM200 wireless in ear monitors from the USA (you can land them here new for $550- the best muso deal I could get here was $1050- ) and they work great.. I only had to buy a stepdown transformer for converting AUS to USA volts at $30-00.
    Sound quality and level control is awesome, with a second channel allowing for other signals you want either from the mixer or direct.
    I hear enough stage sound with the earplugs in, so I use them as my vocal foldback.
    I recommend them to anyone who needs that extra foldback...TallBoy

Hey Frank

It might be a pain in the butt lugging around the speaker. But while the UHF gear is handy, be aware of the health and safety issues too.

At the ABC we used to combine foldback monitors with inner ear monitoring. The UHF provided your own vocals or click track or instrument and foldback monitors provided everything else. That took away the need for the user to keep cranking up the volume...

When using earphones on stage the key is that EVERYONE turns down and let the PA do the work

Tony

A-Men Brother I hear that. bippa bippa bippa bippa

Frank, Save your bucks and buy the best in-ear system you can afford, but bear in mind the moulding that sits in your ear will be crucial for quality, it needs to seal out as much outside sound as much as possible and remain comfortable. You'll never go back to raucous foldback speakers once you get used to them, and your ears will say thanks,as you can keep the on-stage sound of the band down a lot lower when you're not fighting loud foldback.

Cheers for the advise guys,
    I've contacted My Musician cousin in Chicago and she is organising a Shure PSM 200 for for like 550 AUD delivered, I've done a bit of research over the last few days and it seems that people from the States and Europe are saying, Shure seems to be the way to go, for sound and quailty,which leads me to a question for the Shure People. If I can buy a unit like this is the US for 550 Aud deliverd to my door,
    how come it costs 1500 Aud over here?, think I'll do my trading O/S from now on.
    Oh and apparently because of the free trade agreement with the US any item under $1000 attracts no GST.......

Hey frank. Dags, drummer in Shadoogie uses ear set not wireless though. has a lead straight from the desk. Im off to europe in the morning for six weeks when I get back the Sure unit is on my list . I'll have to speak to my brother Dave AKA Tallboy as to how he got the good deal.
    cheers Bill ONeill

Billy from what I can gather you can get a Shure PSM 200 From Musicians Friend in the US Deliverd to your door for $600 matee.

Smile Re: In ear monitoring

Frank - you're a drummer for Pete's sake....... who cares about the drummer?

Ha ha... Say hi to the family. Cousin Jack.
    PS - when are you coming over for a Pasta?
    Cheers, JM

Good on ya Jack, you, you squeezebox player you!! Yes I remember the days when you were a little Johnny Lo Piccolo lol playing the Tarrantella and tapping your size 13 foot,hahahaa... But Honesty I ended up buying an inear system from a rep: this one has not been released yet, it was given to me to try out and give him some feed back on the unit,and may I say it has saved my ears big time. The sound quality was, lets say a little harsh, but then I went out and got my trusty Senheizer X300 in ear buds and bingo I had a great sounding unit, everything I hear is crystal clear and in real time may I add, there are many UHF frequency's to choose from and it is easy to use, basically plug and play. The body pack is also comfortable to wear, it also has a backlit LED screen with all the information you require eg: Volume ,Freq Batt life and signal strength.
    I can now hear everything that happens on stage without trying to guess, the sound that is produced is crystal clear without all the stage noise, this has to be the best thing I have ever done, not only can I hear every instrument,Vocals and instruction, it has has taken the guess work of trying to find my Bass player, I recommend this unit to any Drummer that has a lot of noise around him, including drums, the ear buds remove nearly all outside noise so mic up is essential,this has got to be a 9 on the scale of -10... Boom...

Ps: you don't have to spend big $ I got mine for around $300 because it was car stock but you would pay $ 4-500 for this unit when it is released later this month.. Not bad seeing Sure units are around $1500...

Ciccino - sounds like a great system. Can you let me know the make and model number and also the ear pieces you mentioned. I might give them a try.
    Cheers, JM