01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies
Aisha Khan (UK) On Tour
Last post by Jitterbug
20-03-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Cool Vicrock's School Mid Year report

Summer holiday’s over and it’s back to school. Did I hear you say we don’t need no education? We don’t need no thought control? And teachers, leave the kids alone! All in all, we are just another brick in the wall? ” Well you are wrong! Julie Bishop, our blondie & spunky-looking Education Minister, has decreed education with the 3 RRR’s is the go – is It “R”ockin? Is It “R”ollin? and R&R “R”ules?

A big hello to Vicrock school’s 2007 new students. The class includes Thumper, Bobkats Dave, Jeannie, Ravenrocks, Surego, Coolswingkat, Bonsey, Filly26, Straight8s, Superbat, DivineMsM, Ian and pretty Niki from the Dirty Boogie. Thumper, Bobkats Dave, Bonsey, Filly26 and Ian are the stand out newbies and darlings of the PR gurus …….. but pretty Niki gets the teacher’s award for best behaviour in class.

Goodbye and farewell to Zeek, ClauDeBall, Hotstuff, Verlaine, Aanda, Mike, Squid, Wally, Kramer and Sue. Also Bolto, the “banana-bender thunderbolt" from, you know - sunny one day, perfect the next. And could we ever forget the terrible twins, Millie & Billie?

And the students that teachers are having great difficulty getting rid off. Still attending classes regularly, this mob harbours no ambition whatsoever to graduate any time sooner - Cat, RobE, Frank, Allen, Jazza, Cash, Utopia, Icon, Lisanne, Tggsb, Shane, Bruce, Cliver, Essex, Kempy, GAG and Whem

So how is Vicrock school faring in the 3 RRR’s:

IS IT “R”OCKIN’?

The music is pumpin’, heads a boppin’ & feet a tappin’ cos’ the whole bloody joint a rockin’! That sums up the music scene here in Melbourne. VicRock school has it all - authentic 1950’s R&R bands – think Speedsters, Shadoogie, Flashback, Vincents and new ones springing forth like IC Rock, 5’O Clock Rock and the Rousers.

Want to get high on high octant, radioactive and in your face Rockabilly outfits? No worries - we have the Atomic boys, Firebird, Straight 8s, the Flatfoot and Hank boys, Sky Rockets, Flying Saucers and the Runaway Boys.

What about Roots, Jump & Rockin’ Blues & R&B? The Detonators, Zephyrs, “Chick magnet” Rod Paine, Chubby Rae & the Elevators, Jeannie & her BBB, Joe Galea & Itchy Fingers will tickle and excite all your dancing bones.

And that’s more! How about an offering of Country & “Southern fried’ Rock? Well, come and dine on the very delicious Prairie Oysters! Still feeling hungry and another serve of the main course? Try Shane & the BHR – satisfaction guaranteed or money’s back ……..

Can it get any better? Sure can! Is Western Swing & Hillbillies your cup of tea? Relax with the caffeine plus Moonie Valley Drifters. And then you have Fender Benders – a bit of country, a bit of rock, a bit of R&R and rockabilly – great music and great to dance to but damn! can’t quite put a finger on its genre!

Finally we‘ve got a few “exchanged students” during the year – remember Lee Rocker & Slim Jim? And more recently, we have Bobkats, Tornadoes Alley Cats & the Creepers.

IS IT “R”OLLIN’?

Melbourne is rolling with gigs week in, week out. From Little Maria, Georges & Freeway Rock south of the Yarra to our Northern and Western cousins like Alleycatz, Yaraville, Northside, Anna’s, Geelong’s Longyard, Werribbee and the Furland Club.

And then we have the club & pub scene – Micawber, Daveys & Westernport hotel. And not forgetting the “rockabilly“ and other punters’ favourite “dancing hole” – Rockin’ in the East Gully (the “G”) & Monash.

So any rocker complaining of boredom & looking for things to do on the weekend – well, complain no more!

R&R RULES 4EVER?

As part of my work I was fortunate to be recently talking to a guitarist from one of Australia’s great 1980’s pub rock band, Hunters & Collectors. He was saying the 1980’s was the Golden Age of “Countdown”, teeny boppers and pub rock in Australia. In some ways, thanks to John Travolta’s Saturday Night Fever, we experienced a revival of swing and partner dancing, including pub rock in the early 1990’s. Arguably, following from the punk era the Stray Cats brought a fresh, irresistible revival in rockabilly music.

This same Hunter & Collectors guitarist now opines “rock & roll” bands rule the music industry – unless you are seen as a “rock & roll” band, the major overseas dominated record labels are just not interested. Fashions and fads come and go but rock& roll music, dancing and gigs are still very much alive in Melbourne today. Rock & Roll rules forever?

Allen Guest

Thumbs up Re: Vicrock's School Mid Year report

All my school reports were Bad, very Bad indeed, however this report is one of my best ever, I feel proud of it.

Re: Vicrock's School Mid Year report

"[QUOTE=Jitterbug;25089]Summer holiday’s over and it’s back to school. Did ..................................................
    IS IT “R”OCKIN’?

The music is pumpin’, heads a boppin’ & feet a tappin’ cos’ the whole bloody joint a rockin’! That sums up the music scene here in Melbourne. VicRock school has it all - authentic 1950’s R&R bands – think Speedsters, Shadoogie, Flashback, Vincents and new ones springing forth like IC Rock, 5’O Clock Rock and the Rousers.

Want to get high on high octant, radioactive ............"

It's good to see that the order of merrit has been folloewd with the School Captains & the Prefects listed first ( need to include The Fenderbenders here)....followed by the rest of the school population

Jitterbug your mid year report is longer than the bible and makes more sense. Just one thing . what ever happened to Bling Bling ??And Is it true Bree is Alan Walker??Just to add. ..Zeek called and says Hi to all. And no, he never left this site freely.. Unfortunatly he was expelled.

Talking Re: Vicrock's School Mid Year report

A school report - ahh now those were the days. Last time I was in school the vice principal walked into the class room, spoke to the teacher, pointed to me and asked me to step outside. Out in the hallway he handed me a piece of paper and said, "go see these people down the street, they have a really good job for you" Yep kicked out but I had the last laugh - I didnt like being there anyway...........

Allen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by icon View Post
    Jitterbug your mid year report is longer than the bible and makes more sense. Just one thing . what ever happened to Bling Bling ??And Is it true Bree is Alan Walker??Just to add. ..Zeek called and says Hi to all. And no, he never left this site freely.. Unfortunatly he was expelled.

??And Is it true Bree is Alan Walker??

Now Icon, I was not and am not nore have ever been Bree. (The Truth)

Post Re: Vicrock's School Mid Year report

i was always really bad at school and spent more time in the corridor than in the classroom. i am used to being ignored by teachers so jitterbug didnt disappoint me. allen you and i are like siamese twins, everyone thinks we are one.

Smile Re: Vicrock's School Mid Year report

TGGSB. Reading your post reminds me of my old school. Ferntreegully tech... I too was asked to leave half way through form 3. I started going around looking for an apprenticeship as a copper .But in those days you had to be able to read and write .. So, I found a job as a vet and worked my way up to animal husbandary.Then , unfortunatly one day I got caught .........Alan im so glad to hear your not Bree. I want to believe you.

Allen Guest

Thumbs up Re: Vicrock's School Mid Year report

Thank you Bree for coming on the site so Icon could see what and who was and is who in the zoo.

unfortunatly one day I got caught .........Said Icon, @ what ,?

Allen.. Lets just say ... that in my animal husbandary job The pig squeeled on me...Just on the Bree thing Allen. How is it that every time you post ,Bree posts right after you. And always supports your veiws. .. No stress here. If you say your not Bree, Thats good enough for me. So,How about you and Bree together meet me for a drink at the Monash or Gully...Your shout naturally.. mmmm..??

There has been much debate about the merit or otherwise of corporate punishment in school. I once copped 3 strokes of the rottan (cane) on my bottom from the headmaster at school which I have never quite forgotten since. Like Lulu in “To Sir with Love” I have since realized I have much to thank the “Tiger of SAS” for which the headmaster was then scathingly called. I have learned respect from “Tiger” and the value of good education.

Principal Mel & vice principal RobE are very much in favour of “students” having fun but keep it clean please. There is a fine line that should not be crossed.

Bree – you should have been included in the group of students who harbour no ambition whatsoever to graduate any time soon. I think you may have received a few character building “detentions” in the past but overall I think you are OK.

Cliver – I have indeed included the Fender Benders in my post. Me thinks the band rocks!