01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Are swingers better dancers?

Is it a fact that swingers and lindy hoppers are better dancers than rock & rollers?

I have been involved with both rock & rollers and lindy hoppers over the last few years and apparently a common observation (consensus?) from both camps has been that swingers and lindy hoppers are better dancers ........ well, not exactly those words but along the lines like for example ...... love those smooth Swing Patrol dancers with their styling, musicality and the excitement they generate with the way they danced ..... or that rock & rollers are all the same just doing moves and lacking musicality and styling ..........

Don't get me wrong. I am definitely not saying one is better than the other. Moreover, how would or could one define "better"? But from my experience I have noticed that swingers and rock & rollers do dance differently, not just a matter of 6 beats versus 8 beats but possibly also in terms of styling, musicality and the raw excitement in the dance itself.

What do rock & rollers think? Can we as a group dance or even enjoy our dancing a bit better? Is it necessary or can we further add styling and musicality etc to rock & roll dancing?

B) B) B)

Re:Are swingers better dancers?

Got all excited when I saw the subject topic Jitterbug :laugh:

I dont think its so much the style as the dancer. As an average rock n roll dancer who has done just a little of both lindy and swing I really believe its the dancer(s). If you get a couple who are really in sync with each other then rock n roll can look pretty damn smooth. I love to watch the good swing and lindy dancers but they too need to be in sync because if they are not then those styles suffer in appearance as well.

Jitterbug, You have only been involved with Rock 'n'Rollers for a short time and it shows in your topics. My view is that it there is no better style. It is not what style you dance but how you dance it. Jitterbug you may have been taught by Swing Patrol but please do not put them on a pedestal, my experience with them as been that they do not and have never supported the swing scene let alone the rock n Roll scene.
    PS I learnt Swing/jitterbug/lindyhop at the same workshops that Claudia learnt long before swing patrol was thought of.

John

Thanks Tggsb for your input. Don't worry - I reckon you are a pretty good dancer yourself. Perhaps comments are directed more to rock & roll "hackers" like myself ...... :laugh:

Seriously, the context of my post is social rock & roll dancing generally, not about competitive dancing. I have seen a few R&R competitions and I reckon those dancers are damn good in every aspects.

B) B)

You are right John about me being a rock & roll newbie. And yes I have done a few classes with Swing Patrol in the past but I have also attended classes with other swing and R&R schools as well. I still dance poorly in swing and rock & roll so I wouldn't be qualified to talk as an expert. By the way, I only use Swing Patrol as an example and also based on comments around the traps.

My point is whether we as rock & roll dancers could or want to dance better either as a group or individually. I would love to dance better myself.

Style matters I think but it's obviously up to the individual the way he or she dances on the floor?

B) B)

Bug said:
    "Style matters I think but it's obviously up to the individual the way he or she dances on the floor? "

(I'll try to get you out of a tight spot here, Fred Astaire!)I think it is up to the individual how they choose to enjoy dancing at venues, I am a "newbie" also, and although it can be intimidating to be amongst fantastic dancers (of ALL codes...Rock n Roll, Swing, Lindy, Latin, Ballroom...)...I think we're all mainly in it for the buzz we get out of it...gets those endorphins going, keeps you fit, makes you laugh (and sometimes cry when you get kicked, or stood on, or completely "splat" after a fall).

From my humble observations, the most talented dancers I have seen are often either dance instructors themselves (so uh?...they should be...) or older dancers who haven't stopped since the 50's (40's?). The latter have an ease and confidence about them when they have danced as a partnership for many years. That can be "poetry in motion". But I can also admire the rockabilly guys and gals when they are "goin for it" with all they've got!

So here's to dancing as we all age dis-gracefully, what?

(hope the dance floors will be able to accomodate all the electric skooters doing 360's etc...LOL!!!)

:laugh: :blink:
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Thank you Eeram for your comments. Very sensible comments, I should add. And I totally agree - most, if not all, dance because they enjoy dancing. I certainly do or I wouldn't be doing it week in, week out.

But I would also love to dance "better" whilst enjoying doing it. Doesn't anyone? Maybe not. For some, just the pleasure of being able to dance is good enough and there's nothing wrong with that either.

B) B)

Allen Guest

Are swingers better dancers? - Is it a fact that swingers and lindy hoppers are better dancers than rock & rollers?

Dear Jitterbug,
    How can you make a comment like that, you obviously have not seen me dance, my wife says I am one of the best dancers around, and easily out do a lot of those Swing dancers, She says the way I twist and turn is just out of this world.

No …no, Allen – you must and should not, in any way, feel offended by my effort to solicit active discussions on VicRock. I have no reason to doubt your ability and flair as a very good R&R dancer. Moreover, you are affectionately called “Mr R&R” are you not? Like I have previously unashamedly confessed, I am indeed a R&R newbie having only come onto the R&R and swing scene 6 years ago, and still very much a “hacker” on the dance floor. Like Icon described it, I do act like a “sheep dog” on the dance floor working tirelessly to try to improve my dancing but not sure with much success. Hence I would humbly accept any offer of help from R&R teachers like yourself, Allen. Well, I did recall you saying some weeks back you have been helping some to learn to dance at Somerville?

My original post categorically stated that I was not saying that one dance style is better than the other and also how would one define what is “better”. And then post the question as to whether we as a R&R group could dance better and if there is scope to further add style and musicality to our social dancing generally.

But let me also say I have seen some fantastic, stylish R&R dancers at our social dancing. To name just a few – Jon & Alisha, David & Hayley ,Nigel & Linda (Jivecatz) , RobE & Ann, Kevin & Carol (Foremost), John & Ann (Lisanne), The Guru (Andy Zammit), Adrian, Dancewiz(Ray), Mel, Wayne, Gerard, Gavin, Don, Jazza, Kathy, Linda, Irene, Gissela, Lorenza, Saffron etc etc

I want to dance like them Â…Â….so I shall keep trying hard, sheep dog or not!

B) B)

Allen Guest

Well, I did
    recall you saying some weeks back you have been helping some to learn to dance at Somerville?

O.K. Jitterbug, I now understand your point, but God I hate when people remember what I said over a week ago, Re the dance lessons @ Somerville, there are now 2 people that know how to Rock N Roll.

Does there really have to be a discussion over which dance style is the best???
    There's enough problems between the difference of Rock N Roll & Rockabilly without causing more divisions & dissention over dance styles...

Please close the thread & lets got on with some positive promotion of our Beloved Rock/ Rockabilly scene in Australia....
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Allen Guest

Cliver wrote:
    Does there really have to be a discussion over which dance style is the best???
    There's enough problems between the difference of Rock N Roll & Rockabilly without causing more divisions & dissention over dance styles...

Please close the thread & lets got on with some positive promotion of our Beloved Rock/ Rockabilly scene in Australia....
    Clive, for heavens sake, its a discussion forum, what difference does it make what people say on the site, we all love each other, there is no division, some drink water some drink beer.
    :blink:

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I disagree Clive, but respect your point of view. And this is what itÂ’s all about, expressing an opinion within the VicRock forum rules. I see JitterbugÂ’s thread prompted some interesting, informative and funny responses. To stop this thread because of the possibility of starting some sort of division would be an over-reaction.
    Division is mainly caused through fear. Fear of investigating the stories that are spread around our scene. Fear of discovering truth. If some people feel more comfortable & secure in believing the B/S they hear, then divisions are always possible & more sadly, probable in our scene.
    How are ya Allen? You should have an alias ‘Jumper Leads’ always trying to start something. Hahaha. But even you try and stay within the rules. I see you went fishing last night and caught something.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

I never come on the site and have a lot to say, however, I feel I must contribute to this one,

Division..........is in the mind only.

Millie - I like it when you come on here and comment because your thoughts CAN be interesting. I think you copped a bit of flak when you got on here and was being silly about one band. I say welcome back and continue your contributions.
    Its good to see Clive recommending that we all live in harmony and promote Rock N Roll and Rockabilly. Sound advice.
    Jazzas words are so true, division is caused through fear and maybe some promoters fear giving all bands a go...ummm but that a whole other issue.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Are swingers better dancers?
    Umm well depends on if the dance is held at someones house on a Friday night, and you have to bring a partner or a towel. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: