0 Replies
Aisha Khan (UK) On Tour
Last post by Jitterbug
20-03-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re:Burlesque Anyone?

I have seen a Burlesque show live and yes eventually the women strip off all their clothes,maybe with g string in tact.So I still see this as a strip show,know matter how many men try to convince me its not!I wonder how many women would support this or is it just men?
    I thought there was enough attractive young women to perve at in the RN R scene, without having to pay women to take off there clothes, they wont do it for free!

greenpixie: I have never seen a burlesque performer strip to a g-string....That was NOT a true burlesque show that you saw. The most that burlesque dancers strip down to is frilly bloomers and pasties on their breasts. They NEVER strip to nude as you imply. That's not what burlesque is about.

cactuskitten: Thanks for posting, Doll. :blink:
    You can't handle the truth!

Cactuskitten your post was both interesting and informative.
    But lets get one thing very straight - the remark about dirty underwear (made by me) was a dig between Frank and myself - it was NOT directed at any other person - so before you get too carried away about being insulted by the remark re read the comment and the context in which it was made. Then get off your high horse.
    You are correct that burlesque done correctly and tastefully is a great show - the effort and hard work by all invovled is easy to see and appreciate but I stand by my thoughts that I am not sure its got a place with Rock N Roll. I appreciate that others have commented they believe there is a place for it and some have commented they believe its already around Rock N Roll - so be it. You can apoligise any time you like LOL

Allen Guest

It does not matter one bit, how you try to portray Burlesque, it is down grading women. If I rang a higher authority I know what would be said about it, can you imagine what the Mufti would say about bloomers, panties, breasts, and nudity, its just not on and must be stopped. I personally dont like women shacking their body parts in front of me, god knows what my partner would say about that.

cactuskitten....Re.uneducated and rude. tell that to the Pope, the Mufti, Bishop. Amen.

Hey Cactuskitten - I have to disagree with you... My comment to Frank was made in the context of him trying to get me into King Street (he's like that ya know, like I cant get myself into enough trouble without his help)

The rest of your reply was spot on though - so I will take that as an apology LOL LOL LOL only kidden ya :P

Hey Cactuskitten! Thanks for your input. I am glad you took up my offer to speak from experience, and gave us an insight into who you are and what you do.

I can understand your reluctance to perform at your "average" traditional R&R gig but as you said " a time and a place". I am sure though there are possibly other "rockabilly" gigs where your performance will be appreciated. I for one would love to see your "gigs" anywhere!

Don't worry about Allen's comments. Like Shakespeare's King Lear he's like our resident Crown's Joker but a much loved one ......
    B) B) B)

tggsb: Ok, ok I apologise and see you are a joker!! Just protecting my turf and thanks for agreeing with me a little. A truce from me! lol lol:blink:

Jitterbug: Normally I don't respond to negative comments (if any) about burlesque but some of these comments got under my skin. I hope to see you all at a burlesque night real soon. Fun to be had by all and yes we do do the odd Rockabilly gig. We actually know quite a few of you out there as we sometimes see the same bands.
    Thanks for your invite to chat about what we do and like any artform its all interpretation. Thanks Jitterbug!!

BTW if any of you have ever seen Moulin Rouge or Chicago, then think Hi Ball Burlesque, as in beautiful costumes, saucy dancing and yes garment removal at times, woo hoo!!!!!

tggsb: Ok, ok I apologise and see you are a joker!! Just protecting my turf and thanks for agreeing with me a little. A truce from me! lol lol:blink:

Jitterbug: Normally I don't respond to negative comments (if any) about burlesque but some of these comments got under my skin. I hope to see you all at a burlesque night real soon. Fun to be had by all and yes we do do the odd Rockabilly gig. We actually know quite a few of you out there as we sometimes see the same bands.
    Thanks for your invite to chat about what we do and like any artform its all interpretation. Thanks Jitterbug!!

BTW if any of you have ever seen Moulin Rouge or Chicago, then think Hi Ball Burlesque, as in beautiful costumes, saucy dancing and yes garment removal at times, woo hoo!!!!!

Allen Guest

Will you let me know when you have a gig,so I can come and see for myself.We need to get to the bottom of this.Even my wife said she would like to see what this is all about, she has never heard of Burlesque before.Monash would be good or F.T.Gully.

I think it would be good for people not to knock it before they try it... For goodness sake... Burlesque is degrading to women????

The lyrics to alot of rocknroll songs arent exactly flying the flag for the sisterhood.. Nor were the antics of many rock legends.

So yeah before anyone jumps on the moral high ground, go and see a show... What kids see on Video Hits on a Saturday morning is far worse

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Welcome on board, Thumper! As usual, like an eagle cycling the sky and missing nothing, you have made observations that exult commonsense and relevance. I hate it when someone else pointed out the obvious and IÂ’m bloody scratching my head thinking Â…Â… sweet Jesus! Why havenÂ’t I thought of that before?

Hey GreenPixie – thanks for your input too. At the end of the day, I feel it’s not a question whether one is right or wrong. The beauty of forums, blogs and discussion groups is the opportunity for all to contribute views and opinions fairly whilst respecting others to do same. Hopefully, arising from that, we learn from one another and become more informed and knowledgeable in the process. We all are not the same. We are largely the products of our upbringing, religious and social background so we don’t all think and act alike – what a bloody boring place we live in if we are! To bring home a point – for example, they still regard kissing in public a crime in India. Poor bugger, Richard Gere, may have to pay big time over this, yet in Australia, we have women proudly parading their “white pointers” openly (no pasties there!) on beaches in St Kilda, Bondi and in the Gold Coast and we are not even yet talking about publicly sanctioned nude beaches!

Hey Tggsb & Allen – as usual, you two guys play the role of the devil’s advocates. You add humour and fun to any discussions. Thank you!

By the way, Allen - I ‘m sure Cactuskitten would be honoured to have you and your wife in attendance at their gigs presently being staged every Sunday arvo in April at the “Red Door” (Swanston Street, opposite RMIT). Damn! Just missed the previous gig when my favourite Ozzie Jazz & Swing singer, Julie O’Hara, and her band played at the same venue as support act.

By the way, you can see a selection of Hi Ball Burlesque's performance videos on their web site. Raunchy! Tittillating! Funny! Very 1950's! Love them all! Great work girls!

I am glad this thread has received some interest on Vicrock already having close to a thousand hits. Not quite in the same league as the recent You TubeÂ’s the Wedding Dirty Dancing English couple with a million hit world wide! But who knows if word gets out about burlesque discussions on Vicrock Â…Â…Â… LOL

B) B) B)

Woulg Luv to get along and have a look a there show and then make a decision
    :blink: :blink: :blink:

Had the unexpected pleasure in meeting greenpixie last night at Monash's Rockabilly gig. Was really surprised to know that she is in fact someone I have known for quite sometime in the Swing, R&R and Rockabilly arenas, and even through sports . A very lovely lady indeed and one who dances very well. Didn't quite convince her about burlesque as a form of entertainment but hopefully she appreciates that there are "real" burlesque and unfortunately also "imitational" burlesque.

Good news - a number of punters I spoke to appear to like the idea of an occasional burlesque at Rockabilly gigs. Even a local well known promotor was keen on the idea. A good start! Who knows - a burlesque show might be coming your way in the not so distant future ........

Allen Guest

Good news - a number of punters I spoke to appear to like the idea of an occasional burlesque at Rockabilly gigs. Even a local well known promotor was keen on the idea. A good start! Who knows - a burlesque show might be coming your way in the not so distant future ........

Waiting. Please book me in for 10 tickets. :dry:

Hey Allen - do you mean 10 tickets for yourself alone in the VIP enclosure's box seat for the next 10 performances or 2 tickets for you & wife for the next 5 shows or perhaps a ticket each for you, wife and your 8 kids for the Monash's premier?

Hope your kids are over 18 years of age? They can have a soda & play pools there if they are not ..........

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Allen Guest

For me and my friends, we all want to see what this is all about.
    I do hope someone is doing something about this show.!

I could be wrong but I really thought I saw a member of the Hi Ball Burlesque with a group of friends at the Monash last night. Love her "Rockabilly" look and the way she dressed - very "chic" and glamorous ............

B) B)

Smile Re: Burlesque Anyone?

Remember our vigorous discussions on the subject of burlesque two years ago? Well, if I am not wrong, it looks like it's finally going to happen at the "Shoot Out" next month ..........

Waited so long, and now it feels like Santa has finally delivered my x'mas pressie but 2 years late. Better late than never, I suppose.
    Last edited by Jitterbug; 29-04-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Re: Burlesque Anyone?

Constructive and informative views/replies are always welcome. If you disagree with a certain post or view, give your reasons clearly but based it on the subject matter.

Unhelpful posts or negative replies directed at a person(s) will be deleted.

Re: Burlesque Anyone?

I am a woman, I love rockabilly and I've seen and enjoyed the occasional burlesque show. I'm all for equality as well.

Having got that out of the way up front, I'd like to say that burlesque isn't called 'All Tease, no Sleaze' for nothing and doesn't equate to 'stripping' in the dirty grubby contemporary sense that most people think of. Burlesque is a beautiful celebration of the female form and a tongue-in-cheek poke at the lascivious expectations of men. (think 50s!)

Having said that, I'm not convinced that it's a part of a rockabilly gig either. There are several venues catering to this art form regularly, and I'm not sure that our 'family friendly' rockabilly gigs need to include burlesque. If we add it to the menu, do we have an 'age appropriateness' for entry?

Would everyone still want to see teenagers or younger children in attendance at the gig? And how would that affect some of our older members who come for the love of the music and dance?

Burlesque has it's rightful place in both history and current venues, I'm thinking.......