The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Random Member Photos

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Wink Re: Burlesque Anyone?

Having just returned from Las Vegas and the VLV12 Weekend I was happy to see they included burlesque this year. I believe it fits in quite well with rockabilly in regard to the era, the style and maybe a few tattoos. Very tasteful, lots of fun amongst the ladies, the audience and the comedian MC. Kathy and myself enjoyed it immensely. They even had an amateur comp. Here in Perth we have already had a rockabilly weekend including burlesque, the ladies loved it as well as the gents. It adds a little more variety to the show. Those that don’t like it, hey, the bouncers don’t stop you from going outside for a bit. If you are unsure or maybe you think your partner may be offended just open up the mind a bit and sit back and enjoy, both of you. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Re: Burlesque Anyone?

Just an observation...

Anyone seen the new ad for Bonds ladies underwear? The lady modelling is posing and dancing with a red and white hula-hoop. Very burlesque in its style and listen to the music in the background.. Its an indicator that the look and style is starting to creep into the mainstream...

For some reason I like this ad

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Thumbs up Re: Burlesque Anyone?

Just popping my head in to place a belated add and found myself reading up on what has obiviously made an impression to many readers and those who have felt the urge to comment. I am feeling right now I am in a position to suggest I have qualified for at least a 'back up'" comment for my sisters out there who know how to work their '"stuff" through the art of entertainment.

In the past few years, the Lushes Outfit has changed its product of market from being the sweet & innocent, which never ever worked, to revamping our newer outfit to a more direct in your face approach...this means celebrating what women in that mid 35 plus age group are about....regardless of age, size, colour, women have something to celebrate. The Lushes Combo has used its power of music and may I say, some of my personal crazy outfits to put it right out there, and its worked.

The interpretation of Burlesque being sleezy & inappropriate behaviour is definitely a misinterpretation. In saying that, this is not for everyone, based on cultural & religious beliefs and that too needs to be respected..however, I am thinking that most of these individuals would choose not to attend where these gorgeous girls would be working, or better still, would quietly step away from the event if it doesnt suit them, thats the beauty of freedome of choice.

I have used the Burlesque outfit in many of our shows...and when we have hired the request has also been for the more voluptuous girls simply because thats what the Lushes outfit is about, that size and SIZE does not matter. May I add, these shows have been sell out form, why? I doubt it was because the girls had their clothes off, but that they had the confidence to be proud of what the Gods have granted them and work it accordingly!

The admiration I have for some of these girls is on high credits...their confidence has given some of our patrons who follow us about a lift of not only personel confidence', but have rebirthed the curvy woman as being sexy, intelligent and got it together attitude!! This is in a world where we are faced with still the common dominator of the gorgeous busty model in our magazines which had made some of us girls one time in our life question our own appearances and '"and I could never look like her"" head wave!

Lets give these girls a break...this is entertainment...if you don't like it, you have that choice not to go...but before these comments of comparisons to King st clubs,long coats or whether they are appropriate to certain venues..go out and see the more professional shows of the BURLESQUE and look at from the view that these are every day girls celebrating that we have something to celebrate...and if you look closely, not only are some of these girls curvy and gorgeous, but they are are intelligent business women! We have more women turning up to our gigs then ever, and thats because its about not feeling intimidated, but support for us sisters out there leading the way, whether its in petticoats, bra and knickers, blk leather, sparkle tassles..or full on outfits, who cares...celebrate the music and lets celebrate that girls got something going on...this is what Burlesque is all about!

I have used these girls in a family environment, and they have worked appropriately to suit the outfit for the job at hand...so lets not misinterpret another 41 comments but get behind the sisters and maybe have more of us consider taking the old petticoat out and working it!! ...and if you ever get hold of some of our leading blues ladies like ruth brown, etta james, and even candye kane, have a strong listen to the lyrics, most of their songs were written in the Burlesque content but in music form!!

Burlesque Ladies..Love your work!!

Jeannie Lushes
    In Community Burlesque Spirit!!

Smile Re: Burlesque Anyone?

“ This `telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a practical form of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us” - Western Union internal memo, 1878.

“ [Television] won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night” - Darryl F. Zanuck, head of 20th Century-Fox, 1946.

“ There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home” - Kenneth Olsen, president and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

And then something different ...............

“ It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow” - Robert Goddard, 1882-1945.

Most of us are familiar with the above quotes, and today we have seen how history and society have changed & indeed been revolutionised in so many areas of our lives including science, medicine, technology & industry and arguably even in the field of performance arts & music just because some individuals dare to think differently & take up a challenge.

Interesting recent contributions by Longonebaby, Ando, Thumper and JeannieLushes on this subject. Contrasting views maybe but nonetheless equally thought provoking.

Personally, I like to see it given a go and if the experiment is successful & well supported by patrons, then why not? But I also understand the value of “context and time”. Just like many things in life, it may be that burlesque as an art form is best practiced at the right time and place. But then again, Bob Hope (one of my all time favourite film comedians) said – I ‘ve always been at the right place and time .......of course, I steered myself there.