0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Thread: Bass strings???

Bass strings???

Steel, gut or nylon? You thoughts please! Can steel strings give a smooth rockabilly sound? Can gut strings withstand a psychobilly pounding? Do nylon strings sound any good?

Re:Bass strings???

what sort of bass are you using?

yeah cause he will know !!!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yeah well hmmm...
    There are plenty of forums and Q and A sites- (Google it) for that Instrument, or call in to the Bass player they are the experts in advise and sales so I'm told
    Personally I'd use 5AN Vic Firth sticks and Attack drum heads lol
    ooorrrr you could give it away and become a Drummer and get a sheet load of advise from me, RLRRLRLL.. Haha.. Good Luck :laugh:

tggsb,

clearly you have very little knowledge about some other forum contributors. Why am I not surprised?

There are a variety of basses and the first thing to establish is the type of bass being used.

I've have played both upright and electric basses for more than forty five years so 'what sort of a bass are you using?' is a realsitic question if you want to help someone.

Perhaps you were just trying to stifle help being provided?

Now let's move on and help ravenrocks.

One of the better providers of services to bassists in Smithy's Basses at 115 Salisbury Rd Camperdown NSW. 02 9550 1177. smithey's .com.au

The Bass Player is South Melbourne is also ok

When you have worked out which strings you want to buy you can also check out just strings in the USA, as they are a huge retailer of strings for a wide variety of basses.

Hope this helps

Poor old Ian. What did I say Ian ?? I said "Yeah cause he will know" and was I right Ian ? Did you know Ian ?? Did you have the answer Ian ??
    So what is it Ian - why do have a go at every thing I say - do you have some sort of complex ?
    I do have a "limited" knowledge about some of the other contributers on this forum and yes Ian I have looked up your profile and read the attached web site link all about yourself where you give a brief insite to how you have saved the world. I have also looked long and hard at your pic - that in itself tells a thousand words.

I have a black dog but I bet yours is blacker !! :laugh:

guess its gone over your head yet again

that must be it :P

neil was second !!!!!!!

guess somebody will tell you today

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bassmansam wrote:
    Steel, gut or nylon? You thoughts please! Can steel strings give a smooth rockabilly sound? Can gut strings withstand a psychobilly pounding? Do nylon strings sound any good?

All depends on you. The Bass player. It comes down to your comfort.

Since the 15th Century when the bass was invented is was strubg wuth Guts. ( Horse Intestines )

You can get many brand and price ranges in these.

Since the 60's a great variety of string compositions have been developed, in the idea of better playability, tension, appereance and that Gut like sound.

Steels are for the big tough bloke who has no pain barrier. They take a long time to get used to and cause massive callauses.

Weed Whackers are just that. Whipper snipper chord in various gauges used as strings, they have no sustain but you can go really fast lol.

Nylons Hybrid etc are all supposed to be an alternative to costly Guts. Fact is Guts are now cheaper than most of the rest.

Again your style of play will answer your questions, you need to took at string height etc.

I was given a peice of advice from a very well known Jazz players years ago. Buy a cheap plywood bass, because the style of music we play there is no need for anything else. He was right.

Now 3 years later I love my chinese plywood bass.

We also have Video of how to play slap bass by lee rocker and others if anyone would like a copy. when we get back from our NZ tour we can send a copy.

Janelle

The BobKats.

Bugger it... I just bought that DVD. Just got it in the mail today from an ebay purchase.

I agree with what youre saying BobKat.

I just bought a cheap double bass over christmas and still on my L Plates. I'm currently using steels on them but I dont like the sound they make as they slap against the neck. I'll have a bash at other types of string to find what I'm looking for.

But it does all come down to what suits the player. I use a heavier gauge set on my Fender. Mainly for the extra warmth.. While others go for a snappier lighter gauge.

Theres no wrong answer to this...
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

You really have to weigh up what you want. There was a reason the slab bass was invented. URB just could not do some things players wanted.

But a bull fiddle is now more in vogue.

Let's look at your brand of monster. I would guess it is of chinese origin. You have the same strings it came with and your playing it how it came?

Let me know if I am wrong. Ok the strings they come with are shipping strings. So in the bin they go asap.

Contact www.thebassshop.com and mention my name. Nell from the BobKats. This will make them listen.

Ask for a set of eurosinics. They will get Ben Paglisia to then set the bass up.

Double Basses need the sound post set correctly you will notice a huge difference. The strings will be similiar to what you have now.

Next the fishman pickups it came with can go right in the bin. You will need a bassmax Rockabilly pick up as a starter this is the one I have used for the last two years an awesome pickup.

Once you have done all that you will really start getting the sound you are looking for.

Then you can look like this hah hah.

Oh I almost forgot do not be afraid to mark your dotd on the side of the neck. This really helps you to keep your ear in tune when you start on one of these.

We will be back later in the year so we MUST jam.

[img size=150]http://www.bobkats.info/janellebw1.jpg.jpg[/img]

Janelle

I use Eurosonics. I tried the medium guage but the tension was too high for slapping so I changed to the Ultralights and they good. I find the Eurosoniocs very finger friendly.

I have a set of Pirastro Chromium Steel Solos which I used for a while. They are also finger friendly as they are very low tension when tuned to standard.

I've only played on gut once or twice on other bassists instruments and they have always torn the crap out of my fingers. I also tried Supernils and they had pretty good tone and a good slap sound but they are finger killers and they gouged big ruts in my basses fingerboard.

TRy and get a play on as many basses as you can to help you make up your mind.

Snappy is correct the sound you want if Clrft Guts. I have had a set on my bass for 2.5 years and have played over 200 gigs on them.

I use the Basmax Rockabilly so I do not need a fingerboard mic.

I do have a K&K Sterio on my new bass with bridge and neck pick ups, but I need to use the pre amp on this.

My Chinese bass strung with guts and only the bridge pick up gets all the slap I want. As you know the clicks come through very well.

Janelle

Re: Bass strings???

I use gut strings, although until recently I was using a steel E string but never really liked the steel, just put up with it really. I have also used a steel wound Gut E String. Now I use all Guts. I think the sound you get from all Guts cannot be matched by weed wakers or nylons. It all depends on the sound you are after and style/s you play.
    If you want to try some Guts, try Clef Gut strings. A full set costs you $160.00 + about $23.00 for postage (in US Dollars) so its about $220.00 AUD. This is the cheapest I have paid for a full set of Guts. Visit
    http://www.uptonbass.com/Clef-Gut-Up...-Bass-Strings/
    These stings are great, lots of volume, great sound and slap/click.

Re: Bass strings???

Hey there Bobkat/Janelle,

Are you the very same Janelle that used to post on Rockabillybass.com?

If so, its Matthew/acebassuk here, hiya, how ya doing? Its been a while.

I have moved over to Melbourne from the UK.

And to everyone else, apolgies for repeating myself again, but...............

Janelle, do you know of anyone looking for a slapper? I need a gig.

Cheers

Matthew