Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Random Member Photos

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sun Records

Re:Sun Records

Kempyyyyyyy Carl perkins had this song in the charts a full year before Elvis. His version was different as well. Carl and his brother were on their way to NY to do this live on TV, they had a car accident which killed Carl's brother. Elvis waited until this song had done all it could in the charts before he re released it.

I have an interview that Carl Perkins did in 98 just before his death and he states this actuall event.

Davo

kempy wrote:
    Carl Perkins biggest hit was Blue Suede Shoes even though he wrote it, Elvis released it before Carl
    Incorrect!
    # 1955 Carl Perkins, US #1
    # 1956 Elvis Presley

Carl Perkins' Blue Suede Shoes was Sun's first ever Million seller.

Carl Perkins
    Blue Suede Shoes b/w Honey Don't (Sun)
    Released January 21, 1956
    Format 7" single
    Recorded November 1955
    Length - 2:14
    Chart positions:
    #2 Billboard Black Singles
    #1 Billboard Country Singles
    #2 Billboard Pop Singles

Elvis Presley

Blue Sues Shoes b/w Tutti Frutti (RCA)
    Released September 8, 1956
    Format 7" single
    Recorded January 30, 1956
    Length - 1:58
    Chart positions:
    #20 Billboard Pop Singles
    You can't handle the truth!

I Stand Corrected
    In late 1955, a desperately poor and struggling Perkins wrote the song "Blue Suede Shoes" on an old potato sack. Produced by Sam Phillips, the record was a massive chart success. In the United States, it went to #1 on Billboard magazine's country music charts (the only #1 hit he would have), to #2 on Billboard's Best Sellers pop music chart, and to #3 on the rhythm & blues charts. In the United Kingdom, it became a Top Ten hit. It was the first record by a Sun label artist to sell a million copies. However, at the peak of the song's national success, Perkins was involved in a near-fatal car accident. Perkins could only watch as his friend, Elvis Presley, also had success with a cover version of "Blue Suede Shoes", which was a follow up to Elvis' first hit, "Heartbreak Hotel". Ironically, Elvis only managed to take the cover version to #20 on the Best Sellers chart

BobKats wrote:
    Kempyyyyyyy Carl perkins had this song in the charts a full year before Elvis. His version was different as well. Carl and his brother were on their way to NY to do this live on TV, they had a car accident which killed Carl's brother. Elvis waited until this song had done all it could in the charts before he re released it.

I have an interview that Carl Perkins did in 98 just before his death and he states this actuall event.

Davo
    I agree - I too have seen that interview and Carl Perkins is quite clear on the fact that Elvis waited until Carls version had done all it could do and then Elvis released his version.

Here is a question for you guys - who did Caldonia first - Carl Perkins (a version which I love) or Bill Haley ??

Note Elvis recored in 1954 " That's All Right"
    Carl Perkons recorded in 1955 "Blue Sude Shoes"
    Who came first the horse or the cart

kempy wrote:
    Dave check this out Eddie was still in school in 1955 he did'nt realease his first single in 1957
    In 1955, Eddie's family moved to Bell Gardens, California. Eddie's guitar playing kept improving and he formed a band with two friends from his Jr. High School. During a show featuring many performers at an American Legion hall, he met Hank Cochran (later a country music songwriter). Although they were not related, family acts were popular at the time and they began performing together. The duo recorded as The Cochran Brothers. Eddie Cochran also worked as a session musician, and began writing songs, making a "demo" with Jerry Capehart, his future manager.

In 1956, Boris Petroff asked Cochran if he would appear in the musical comedy film The Girl Can't Help It. He agreed and sang a song called "Twenty Flight Rock" in the movie, delivered with an attitude and stance that can be regarded as one of the earliest germs of punk rock seen decades later. In 1957, Cochran had his first hit, "Sittin' in the Balcony," one of the few songs he recorded that was written by another songwriter (John D. Loudermilk).
    You can't handle the truth!

tggsd Shane all I could find is that Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five recored Caledonia in 1945, Bill Haley would have done it before Carl Perkins, but i'll will stand corrected if I'm wrong

Cat you are the most......

Dave

wat my real estate agent said "Location Location!!"

i heard years ago from Carl Perkins son Stan Perkins up in Wintersun, about 4 years ago i think it was when Stan Perkins was there.
    We had the pleasure of sitting back at the Motel and he was in the room next door to us and we invited him and his wife over for a drink and a little jam, and mate some of the stories we heard that night were fantastic, but one thing he did say was, Sam Phillips recorded Blue Suede Shoes by Carl Perkins but didn't have the money behind him to push it as a nation wide release, so hence he sold Elvis over to RCA records and with that money marketed Carl P's Blue Suede Shoes to become his first million seller!
    and the rest is History......... B) B)
    Rock'n'roll will stand man - If i'm lying i'm dying

You are one lucky dude Dom and you can't get any closer to the horse's mouth, so to speak, than that.

That is the kind of story I love to hear and much better than a excerpt from a book..

Thanks and cheers mate,
    Lyndon