The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Thread: brown

Allen Guest

brown

James Brown, the legendary singer known as the "Godfather of Soul," has died in Atlanta, his agent said early Monday. He was 73.

Brown was hospitalised Sunday at Emory Crawford Long Hospital with pneumonia and died around 1:45 am on Monday (1745 AEDT), said his agent, Frank Copsidas, of Intrigue Music.

Longtime friend Charles Bobbit was by his side, Copsidas said.

The agent said Brown's family was being notified of his death and that the cause was still uncertain.

"We really don't know at this point what he died of," Copsidas said.

Along with Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan and a handful of others, Brown was one of the major musical influences of the past 50 years.

At least one generation idolised him, and sometimes openly copied him.

His rapid-footed dancing inspired Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson among others.

Songs such as David Bowie's Fame, Prince's Kiss, George Clinton's Atomic Dog and Sly and the Family Stone's Sing a Simple Song were clearly based on Brown's rhythmsand vocal style.

If Brown's claim to the invention of soul can be challenged by fans of Ray Charles and Sam Cooke, then his rights to the genres of rap, disco and funk are beyond question.

He was to rhythm and dance music what Dylan was to lyrics: the unchallenged popular innovator.

"James presented obviously the best grooves," rapper Chuck D of Public Enemy once told The Associated Press.

"To this day, there has been no one near as funky. No one's coming even close."

His hit singles include such classics as Out of Sight, (Get Up I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine, I Got You (I Feel Good) and Say It Out Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud, a landmark 1968 statement of racial pride.

"I clearly remember we were calling ourselves coloured, and after the song, we were calling ourselves black," said in a 2003 AP interview.

"The song showed even people to that day that lyrics andmusic and a song can change society."

He won a Grammy award for lifetime achievement in 1992, as well as Grammys in 1965 for Papa's Got a Brand New Bag (best R&B recording) and for Living In America in 1987 (best R&B vocal performance, male).

He was one of the initial artists inducted intothe Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, along with Presley, Chuck Berry and other founding fathers.

He triumphed despite an often unhappy personal life.

Brown, who lived in Beech Island near the Georgia line, spent more than two years in a South Carolina prison for aggravated assault and failing to stop for a police officer.

After his release on in 1991, Brown said he wanted to "try to straighten out" rock music.

From the 1950s, when Brown had his first R&B hit, Please, Please, Please in 1956, through the mid-1970s, Brown went on a frenzy of cross-country tours, concerts and new songs.

He earned the nickname "The Hardest Working Man in Show Business."

With his tight pants, shimmering feet, eye makeup and outrageous hair, Brown set the stage for younger stars such as Michael Jackson and Prince.

In 1986, he was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Rap stars of recent years overwhelmingly have borrowed his lyrics with a digital technique called sampling.

Brown's work has been replayed by the Fat Boys, Ice-T, Public Enemy and a host of other rappers.

"The music out there is only as good as my last record," Brown joked in a 1989 interview withRolling Stone magazine.

"Disco is James Brown, hip-hop is James Brown, rap is James Brown; you know what I'm saying? You hear all the rappers, 90 per cent of their music is me," he told the AP in 2003.

Allen Guest

Re:brown

[img size=175]http://www.vicrock.com.au/cms/components/com_simpleboard/uploaded/images/brown.jpg[/img]

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

‘The hardest working man in show business’, definitely. Apart from the Hall of fame induction plus all his awards, James Brown should have also received a “Keith Richards Longevity Award” as James played-up as hard as he played. To make it to 73 was a feat in itself.
    This talented founder & Godfather of soul, funk & rap has paved the way for many to follow. R.I.P. James Brown.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Always sad news to hear of a Rock Star departing this earth.

Rest in Peace. and thanks for all you have done for us.

Ya never know , do ya? R.I.P.