01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Threaded View

Breakaway's "Rock Till You Drop"

The Kingcats (UK band) continues its tour of Australia yesterday with another sell out dance event held by the Breakaway Dance Club in Brisbane. The Kingcats have thrilled its Australian rock & roll fans having first performed at Ballarat Beat 2016 and then later at Fast Eddies and at another dance in Epping. It was my first time seeing the band and it was a pleasure seeing them on stage. Great vocal, musically tight and the songs were all very danceable..

The Breakaway dance was a sell out with several hundreds attending at the Croatian Club in Rocklea, about 15 minutes drive out of Brisbane. The event also featured the Lincolns - the "Teddy Boys" style R&R band from Adelaide and three of Melbourne's top bands - The Detonators, Atomic Hi Tones and Itchy Fingers. I love all these bands and I count them all amongst my favourite Australian 1950's style R&R bands.

Breakaway is perhaps the biggest R&R clubs in Brisbane and this was my first time attending its gig. The event was well organised and the Croatian Club in Rocklea has a huge dance floor with bar facilities similar to the Hungarian Club or the Polish Club in Melbourne. Parking is also not an issue.

Brisbane is not unlike Melbourne but you do see a bit more rockabilly style dancing over here. There were also "swing" style dancers and quite a few Gen X&Y in the crowd. All in all, it was good to see different dance styles on display - from 4 steps R&R to 6 steps R&R and a bit of Lindy and Balboa too.

What can I say but feel very impressed by the dance at Breakaway not only was it well organised but also the quality of bands on show and the fantastic dancing on display. Well done Breakaway Dance Club and to all the bands that played yesterday.

No doubt - Brisbane is an Australian Rockin' city!!!! Watch out Melbourne because Brisbane is coming strong after your title as Australia's rockin' capital.....lol

]
    Last edited by Jitterbug; 27-02-2016 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add videos