Aisha Khan (UK) On Tour
Last post by Jitterbug
20-03-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re:Hesitant to Post

Ian...
    I am not a muso, but I remember that period so well. I grew up in America. Rockabilly actually preceded rock and roll by a few years. The rockabilly style evolved out of post-world war II country-boogie, hillbilly, and rhythm & blues. The Delmore Brothers recorded "Hillbilly Boogie" and "Pan American Boogie" in 1945. Rock and roll (term coined by Alan Freed in 1951) also evolved from boogie woogie and R&B of the late 1940s. Rockabilly musicians recorded in the most uninhibited fashion with the sparest instrumentation, often on primitive equipment.

But having said that, rockabilly and rock and roll rose in popularity, in parallel, during the 50s. And yes indeed, it was Carl Perkins' original self-penned recording of "Blue Suede Shoes" (1956) that resulted in international recognition for rockabilly. At the same time Bill Haley, who started out in rockabilly, is often credited with recording the earliest rock and roll record, "Rock Around The Clock". We had that thing (78 rpm) playing on repeat around the clock LOL

So I don't see what all the division is about. These are simply two different versions of the same thing. Both rock!

What you experienced in America is different to what happened here. The experience I described took place in Melbourne. In Melbourne there was certainly no music described as rockabilly in the first wave of rock-n-roll in this town. Rock-n-roll arrived here by sailors bring records back from the USA and Qantas pilots flying them in for Stan Rofe and Bob Rogers, who were leading radio personalities in Melbourne and Sydney respectively. Melbourne did not experience the development of the various influences coming together as rock-n-roll, we just got delivered the finished product

Adrians Cup

I attended the Whitehorse Club last night and i,ve got to say what a great night it was. Good to see the Rockin Daddys and DJ Flash together. A great team. Somewhere close to 300 in attendance. The event was a pearler of a night. Thankyou Adrian.

There's a very important point thats being missed here.

In Melbourne the RocknRoll, Rockabilly and Country scenes.. on their own are tiny. Who bloody cares what the music is called. This is not America where there are probably as many country music fans as there are people in Australia. We can't afford to have splinter groups.

So how about we cut the crap and just enjoy whats on offer? On one hand theres all this divisive stuff making people scared to post and then there's the worry about the future of the scene... like helloooo.

Before I joined The Prairie Oysters, I was doing the corporate, function and club scene and let me tell you. having to play second fiddle to the whim of the caterer or the corporate presentation is torturous. Sure the money is good at times but what I really anjoy about our scene, is its unashamedly about music and dancing. Thats the way it should be.

This endless bickering and division is going to nothing but ruin a scene that is one of the last strong holds of live music in the city. If the endless poltics and BS doesnt stop, we will be the ones responsible for killing the scene and having karaoke and backing tapes move in to the venues that still want to support us.

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Re:Adrians Cup

wally wrote:
    I attended the Whitehorse Club last night and i,ve got to say what a great night it was. Good to see the Rockin Daddys and DJ Flash together. A great team. Somewhere close to 300 in attendance. The event was a pearler of a night. Thankyou Adrian.
    Geez you ARE a wally. This is one rule Mel put in place:
    "Always post in the correct forum
    This means do not post reviews in the Chat forum or a birthday dedications in the VicRock Information forum etc.
    "
    How is this post of yours relevant to THIS thread? Praise the gig by all means, but please post in a new thread.

Back on topic: I wonder why the question was even asked in the first place. It should be a non-issue. We ALL are into some facet of 50's music, so leave it be. Like BT said, this kind of nonsense will ony serve to kill an already fragile and small scene.

You can't handle the truth!

Re:Adrians Cup

bassthumper,

Your comments make a lot of sense. An easy way to put things in to perspective is to keep in mind that there are about as many people commuting to work in New York each day as live in all Australia. Staggering!!.

Yes, the markets are very small in this country and with an aging population the market for traditional rock-n-roll (the music of Presley, Domino, Nelson, Berry, eyc) is shrinking. The size of the total rock market today is probably smaller in number than it was in the late fifties and early sixties.

Seems your experience with corporate gigs is somewhat unfortunate. Over many corporate gigs I have not had that experience. It is really a simple matter of getting the key players (caterer, client, band) to all develop and stick to the same event schedule. Good management is worth its weight in gold

Let's keep the rock music scene alive, together and as much as possible use live performers

Re:Hesitant To Post

The reason why I asked this question was because I love:
    - The friendly atmosphere of the Classic Rock community;
    - The terrific choice of quality music styles available (and as in the execrable Billy Joel pop song "it's all R'n'R to me" and
    - The feeling of belonging (just look at all Wayne' birthday messages) and of acceptance.

(Of course there are a few issues, but that happens in any group of people. And different people always have different tastes and preferences.)

It really worries me that there might be just a few of us who take things too much to heart. I really want to identify if there are problems and to find ways to fix those problems.
    hmy:
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

RobE,

May I say, that most of us have issues when comments cut too close to the bone, or when our names are used in vain or are associated with matters that have no relevance to us.

Some may call it thin skinned, or taking the bait, or even lacking a sense of humour, but I donÂ’t think something that fitÂ’s the category of Human Nature, will ever change.

In some instances an open mind can help to improve our tolerance to others and broaden our acceptance to the differences in peopleÂ’s tastes, but at the end of the day, as individuals, we are never going to agree on everything that is laid on the table.

So far as the debate that always seems to raise it’s ugly head about Rock ‘n’ roll or Rockabilly and so on, my observation of late, including taking stock of some of my own postings, is that the question only seems to be important to non musicians and or, people who look at Rock and Roll from an academic point of view.

As a muso, I hope I can say on behalf of many others, that ALL music from the Rock and Roll era, is ALL about having a good time, regardless of itÂ’s speed, beat, or what dance styles can be adapted to itÂ…Â…period.

Well said BASSTHUMPER......shane

Yeah but I do not see any of you, Lyndon, Shane, Thumper, being hesistant to post.

So some people prefer Chuck Berry and others would rather listen to the Girlie Groups.

Some people like to throw more Swing type moves into their R'n'R dancing and others wont join in the line dancing.

Some singers like one brand of mic and hate another. Some guitar players only buy axes made by this company and not that company.

"You say tomato and I say tomato". (Well it made sense when I heard the song.)

So how come we believe there are some Forum members who are hesitant to post?

Is it more than disagreeing about preferences?

Is there bickering? What is it about? How do help people to agree to disagree and still feel like they belong here?
    Rob Ewart

www.VRRDA.org.au

bassthumper wrote:
    There's a very important point thats being missed here.

In Melbourne the RocknRoll, Rockabilly and Country scenes.. on their own are tiny. Who bloody cares what the music is called. This is not America where there are probably as many country music fans as there are people in Australia. We can't afford to have splinter groups.

Thumper
    Excellent post Tony. I ended my post (if you got that far LOL) with exactly what you are saying: "I don't see what all the division is about. These are simply two different versions of the same thing. Both rock!"

I do believe RobE is genuine in his concern that there may be some members who are hesitant to post on VicRock. And it could very well be that in the past there has been an occasion or two where a very small number of members feeling deterred in posting on a particular subject. But I have a simpler theory.

Vic Rock has 400 -500 members? I have observed over a long period of time that maybe there have only been a handful of regular contributors plus the odd contribution from a very small number of other members. It just may be a situation where in fact there is not a real problem. I think the vast majority of members for one reason or another just couldn't be bothered to post in the first place. Yes, they may visit to check the site and find out about gigs and perhaps read some of the posts. But I don't think they share the same passion or desire to comment or write about what or how they feel?

So my theory is the perceived division between R&R and Rockabilly on VicRock may not have been as extensive and real to most. Certainly not me as I love both along with other forms of music such as swing, jazz, big band, blues, soul and even the occasional pop. I could be wrong here but that's what I think ......

Lyndon wrote:

So far as the debate that always seems to raise it’s ugly head about Rock ‘n’ roll or Rockabilly and so on, my observation of late, including taking stock of some of my own postings, is that the question only seems to be important to non musicians and or, people who look at Rock and Roll from an academic point of view.
    Was that remark aimed at me? As a non-muso who was there at the time, all I was saying was that the two forms of rock and roll rose simultaneously, like twins joined at the hip. We danced to it all the same and didn't have a clue as to what the music was called or what the dance styles were called - fortunately we were so ignorant academically that we just had a good time.

And RobE, getting back on topic, I am not hesitant to post.

Whilst I know that some bands are classiffied as Rock n Roll and others Rockabilly I tend to agree with the observation of a couple of others that they are basically the same. I had the pleasure to watch a DVD recently based around the late 50's and early 60's, interviews with Elvis, Chuck, Bill Haley and so on - when Carl Perkins was asked to name the music he replied "there is no one thing of Rock n Roll or Rockabilly, its all just feel good music"
    This comment stuck in my mind and I think that any given night with a cold beer, good company (of which there is so much around the scene) and a couple of dances then they can call it what they like - I am gunna call it feel good music. :P

Jitterbug, according to the Members List Vicrock has over 1200 members.

Shame more of them don't post.

tggsb wrote:
    Whilst I know that some bands are classiffied as Rock n Roll and others Rockabilly I tend to agree with the observation of a couple of others that they are basically the same. I had the pleasure to watch a DVD recently based around the late 50's and early 60's, interviews with Elvis, Chuck, Bill Haley and so on - when Carl Perkins was asked to name the music he replied "there is no one thing of Rock n Roll or Rockabilly, its all just feel good music"
    This comment stuck in my mind and I think that any given night with a cold beer, good company (of which there is so much around the scene) and a couple of dances then they can call it what they like - I am gunna call it feel good music. :P
    You said it... spot on
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

My comment targetting non muso's and academics in no way implies that all of the above would be analytical toward music, I simply meant that I would doubt if a performer would make the distinction based on my own observations. Just an opinion, that's all.

The latest posts on this matter not only support my suggestion that there really neednÂ’t be a debate on the subject and more importantly, confirms that Rock and Roll music serves a specific purposeÂ…Â…Â…enjoyment.

How about we leave it there and all come out shaking hands, or kissing cheeks and continue to make the most out of the fortunate evolution and survival of Rock and Roll music.
    :laugh: B)

I bored with this. Same people saying the same thing over and over and bloody over is not helping to encourage more people to post.

My fault.

Maybe we can talk about something, thanks.
    Rob Ewart

www.VRRDA.org.au