01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Cooly Rocks On 2015

My first visit last weekend to "Cooly Rocks On" rock & roll music festival since it was staged about 4 or 5 years after the previous "Wintersun" festival stopped being staged in Coolangatta.

Everything I have known or heard about Cooly Rocks On was on show last weekend. There was merchandise galore, the usual hotrods, Kustoms and specialty cars on display and cruising on the main streets of Coolangatta plus the Harleys motor bikes. Music galore as always with lots of free entry to live bands in the various stages held on the streets of Coolangatta and some venues such as Coolangatta hotel and Coolangatta Sands hotel. For special ticketed events such as the "Gangsters" swing ball and Si Cranstoun, these were held at the Marquee. Also the dance competition this year.

There were also other attractions like the 1950's style Miss Pin Up competition, poodles parade, Rock & Roll Sunday church service at the Marquee and of course, there was non stop dancing all weekend on the streets of Coolangatta during daytime and in the evening at various venues such as the Coolangatta Bowls Club, Twin Towns etc.

Music wise, there was the usual variety of bands and music genres. I have heard from some quarters that Cooly Rocks On is now less "rockabilly" oriented. There may be fewer rockabilly bands on show but I don't believe rockabilly music lovers have been deprived as such with many rockabilly bands still on offer throughout the week including the Satellites, the Hi Boys, Flattrackers, Wes Pudsey & the Sonic Aces, Little Billy Band and Twang. I love the fact Cooly Rocks On provides something for everyone's taste whether it's rock & roll, rockabilly or swing.

All in all, a very enjoyable festival. The weather was great too after the big rains from previous years.

Last edited by Jitterbug; 17-06-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Add video

Re: Cooly Rocks On 2015

Only thing missing Paul was a big screen showing all those great rock and roll clips!

Re: Cooly Rocks On 2015

True Milton.....you 're the man with the big screen specialty! Brisvegas too needs to experience dancing to classic rock & roll clips on the big screen. Keep pitching your services to Cooly Rocks On committee for next year's festival.