Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: great bands

Re:great bands

Bobkats have laid down the challenge to Victorian venues & promoters; I also enforce the challenge to them also, to give this talented Band ago who have done their homework and wonÂ’t to succeed and venture into Melbourne as the engine room for entertainment in Australia.
    Jitterbug why do Melbourne bands take the opportunity to go Interstate, is it they donÂ’t wonÂ’t to stay local? Get stagnant? More dollars? Or they too are taking steps to succeed and improve themselves. If a good band does not take these steps to their advantage, why do they stay around some bands are happy just to do their local gigs and get nowhere.
    I have spoken to some promoters with some great support about this Band coming to Melbourne, I would like more support from the bigger venues. If there were more promoters behind this IÂ’m sure that a package deal could be put together and everyone would be happy.
    RockÂ’nÂ’Roll / Rockabilly around Australia is a hard nut to crack as far as recording contracts and getting airplay on commercial stations, I was always under the impression that we: - Artist, Promoters and punters were a community and help out.
    Myself as a presenter of Community Radio IÂ’m only too happy to help out any RockÂ’nÂ’Roll / Rockabilly Artist with Airplay or Promotions and air time on my program.

So if you would like to talk to me about the Bobkats or would like an Info Pack
    Please Contact Rockabilly Rob (kempy) on 0425 800 337 or
    Email rockabillyrob3nrg@yahoo.com.au

PS Also contact me if you would like to take up the offer For Airplay,Promotions or Airtime on my Program

Bobkats have laid down the challenge to Victorian venues & promoters; I also enforce the challenge to them also, to give this talented Band ago who have done their homework and wonÂ’t to succeed and venture into Melbourne as the engine room for entertainment in Australia.
    Jitterbug why do Melbourne bands take the opportunity to go Interstate, is it they donÂ’t wonÂ’t to stay local? Get stagnant? More dollars? Or they too are taking steps to succeed and improve themselves. If a good band does not take these steps to their advantage, why do they stay around some bands are happy just to do their local gigs and get nowhere.
    I have spoken to some promoters with some great support about this Band coming to Melbourne, I would like more support from the bigger venues. If there were more promoters behind this IÂ’m sure that a package deal could be put together and everyone would be happy.
    RockÂ’nÂ’Roll / Rockabilly around Australia is a hard nut to crack as far as recording contracts and getting airplay on commercial stations, I was always under the impression that we: - Artist, Promoters and punters were a community and help out.
    Myself as a presenter of Community Radio IÂ’m only too happy to help out any RockÂ’nÂ’Roll / Rockabilly Artist with Airplay or Promotions and air time on my program.

So if you would like to talk to me about the Bobkats or would like an Info Pack
    Please Contact Rockabilly Rob (kempy) on 0425 800 337 or
    Email rockabillyrob3nrg@yahoo.com.au

PS Also contact me if you would like to take up the offer For Airplay,Promotions or Airtime on my Program

Kempy thankyou for your support and we applaud everyone who helps. I just want to say a couple of things here.

As a band we are always having to fight for everything we get. We look at other bands and 95% are hobby bands. Please look around see how many other bands need this to make a living.

Duke is a musician this is how he makes his living. Janelle ( Nell E Bean ) and I are self employed. The BobKats is one of our income streams so we need this as well. We really get depressed when we get undercut at a gig. 5 peice bands working for $300.00 bucks with thier music stand out the front and dodgy uniforms and hairdo's.

We actually live what we do. I was recently asked why in 18 months we had acheived what we have. Well we set goals and timelines, then work on how to achieve them with costings and outlays in time and effort. Just like any other business.

We have PA $4000.00 Drums $2950.00. Double bass set up with guts and bass rig $4950.00 Guitar amp and guitar $2500.00 So now add in rpomo for the year printing car and trailer airfares to NZ. 2 cd's and one professioanl DVD with artwork. Well you all get the idea

So this is why we are all so passionate with this.

dave
    www.bobkats.info

BobKats wrote:

As a band we are always having to fight for everything we get. We look at other bands and 95% are hobby bands. Please look around see how many other bands need this to make a living.

Duke is a musician this is how he makes his living. Janelle ( Nell E Bean ) and I are self employed. The BobKats is one of our income streams so we need this as well. We really get depressed when we get undercut at a gig. 5 peice bands working for $300.00 bucks with thier music stand out the front and dodgy uniforms and hairdo's.

We actually live what we do. I was recently asked why in 18 months we had acheived what we have. Well we set goals and timelines, then work on how to achieve them with costings and outlays in time and effort. Just like any other business.

We have PA $4000.00 Drums $2950.00. Double bass set up with guts and bass rig $4950.00 Guitar amp and guitar $2500.00 So now add in rpomo for the year printing car and trailer airfares to NZ. 2 cd's and one professioanl DVD with artwork. Well you all get the idea

dave
    www.bobkats.info
    Mate maybe I have misunderstood what you were trying to say so I apologise in advance if I am out of line.. Your comments about being full time has prompted me to reply.

It doesnt matter whether youre making a full time living out of it or not. Music is a passion for all musicians part time or full time. I've seen so called "full time" bands empty dance floors while the "hobby musos" build followings.

People choose to make a living out of music because they love what they do. You guys have taken the punt to "live what you do". But you crying foul because Melbourne venues wont give you a fair go??

Well mate, thats how it is for all bands, full time or not and thats why many musicians survive by having other jobs.

I take objection to this attitude that just because you choose to make a full time career out of music, you feel you're owed more than others and look down on so called "hobby bands". I know and respect alot of the bands who are on the local scene right now who are part time and theyre all pretty bloody good actually which is probably why venues are loathe to grant gigs to new acts while they have a successful formula.

You can class me as a "hobbyist" but the bloody tax department doesnt. My family don't think so either given the amount of time I'm away from home at gigs, rehearsals etc. Professionalism is an attitude not a lifestyle choice.

As for bands who undercut. Yeah that does happen from time to time. But I also challenge you, not to find a venue to in melbourne to gig in, but to find me a venue that is willing to pay a band 1980s prices for a pub gig. It doesnt happen anymore.

Thank you for your itemised inventory. For what its worth, our band has tens of thousands of dollars worth of pro gear too. Our band has also set timelines and are sticking to them and we're currently recording our new CD (using my very expensive gear), designing a website, organising photo shoots and promotional material with a strategic work plan too. The only difference between us and you guys is that we also work for someone else. But we still manage to successfully run a band which has only been together 7 months and have been gigging virtually from day one.

We would also love to travel interstate. Maybe one day we will. But we're not going just for the sake of it. There needs to be the opportunity for exposure and it has to be financially viable.

I hope you do get to play Melbourne gigs, but please.. enough with the holier than thou attitude. If you want to make a good impression on the scene, rule 1 is not to alienate the other musos working in it too with comments that portray semi-pros as amateur garage fodder.

We're all just as passionate about the music and we all subject ourselves to the same lunacy this industry throws at us regardless of what we do during the day and what we wear on stage at night.

Sorry man but I had to vent and once again I apologise if I misunderstood what you were saying.

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Thank You .Thumper!!

bassthumper wrote:
    BobKats wrote:

dave
    www.bobkats.info
    Mate maybe I have misunderstood what you were trying to say so I apologise in advance if I am out of line.. Your comments about being full time has prompted me to reply.

It doesnt matter whether youre making a full time living out of it or not. Music is a passion for all musicians part time or full time. I've seen so called "full time" bands empty dance floors while the "hobby musos" build followings.

People choose to make a living out of music because they love what they do. You guys have taken the punt to "live what you do". But you crying foul because Melbourne venues wont give you a fair go??

Well mate, thats how it is for all bands, full time or not and thats why many musicians survive by having other jobs.

I take objection to this attitude that just because you choose to make a full time career out of music, you feel you're owed more than others and look down on so called "hobby bands". I know and respect alot of the bands who are on the local scene right now who are part time and theyre all pretty bloody good actually which is probably why venues are loathe to grant gigs to new acts while they have a successful formula.

You can class me as a "hobbyist" but the bloody tax department doesnt. My family don't think so either given the amount of time I'm away from home at gigs, rehearsals etc. Professionalism is an attitude not a lifestyle choice.

As for bands who undercut. Yeah that does happen from time to time. But I also challenge you, not to find a venue to in melbourne to gig in, but to find me a venue that is willing to pay a band 1980s prices for a pub gig. It doesnt happen anymore.

Thank you for your itemised inventory. For what its worth, our band has tens of thousands of dollars worth of pro gear too. Our band has also set timelines and are sticking to them and we're currently recording our new CD (using my very expensive gear), designing a website, organising photo shoots and promotional material with a strategic work plan too. The only difference between us and you guys is that we also work for someone else. But we still manage to successfully run a band which has only been together 7 months and have been gigging virtually from day one.

We would also love to travel interstate. Maybe one day we will. But we're not going just for the sake of it. There needs to be the opportunity for exposure and it has to be financially viable.

I hope you do get to play Melbourne gigs, but please.. enough with the holier than thou attitude. If you want to make a good impression on the scene, rule 1 is not to alienate the other musos working in it too with comments that portray semi-pros as amateur garage fodder.

We're all just as passionate about the music and we all subject ourselves to the same lunacy this industry throws at us regardless of what we do during the day and what we wear on stage at night.

Sorry man but I had to vent and once again I apologise if I misunderstood what you were saying.

Thumper
    Thumper I an glad you apologised in advance.

This was not a rant or a whinge. It was to show how committed we are nothing more.

Please send me an email
    david@bobkats.info and we will get your gig up here. As Ray from the straight 8's will tell you we are helpfull guys. ( They played on a great drum kit supplied at the last minute free of charge )

I got home late from a gig last night and went through all the posts here and the feeling I was getting with the exception of a few on here was "Who do they think they are?" That is how that post came about but my challenge still stands and my question has not been answered.

Who was the last Brisbane Rock n roll / Rockabilly Band to play a gig in Melbourne?

Anyway mate contact me directly so we can chat it is bloody hard to know who is who with all these nicknames.

Dave
    www.bobkats.info

Well said Thumper. I have to say I ‘bristled’ when I read the comments about ‘hobby bands’ and you said everything i would like to have mentioned.

Bands get invited to play when they earn their reputation. May see you in years to come Bobkats.

BobKats wrote:

Who was the last Brisbane Rock n roll / Rockabilly Band to play a gig in Melbourne?
    As far as my memory goes it was Chrome Daddies (earlier this year), who came down to Melbourne quite a few times and developed a following here.
    You can't handle the truth!

Wally,
    Bobkats would be welcome at the 3rd Nov gig, however kempy is looking at March not any earlier. A shame for sure cos I think it would have been great to have them join in on this occasion.
    Question for you wally have we met? B)
    Rumors are carried by haters, Spread by fools, and accepted by Idiots

Just to clarify some things we are talking about. The Interstate bands do not play at pubs or clubs up here unless they do it themselves. It is the dance clubs, and we have a lot of them who put the bands on. They work out the costs first then divide that by 200 tickets. The dance clubs then make money on raffles food and beverages.

Dave
    www.bobkats.info

Just for the record Wally. I AM NOT MAKING MONEY EITHER AT THIS GIG.
    As I said the money that comes through the door goes to the bands after the hall hire is taken care of.

I'm with you on this kempy, SOME OF US JUST GET INVOLVED FOR THE LOVE OF IT. Life is not all about getting a buck, if my muso mates can do a gig and get paid thats all there is in it for me.

Cat wrote:
    BobKats wrote:

As far as my memory goes it was Chrome Daddies (earlier this year), who came down to Melbourne quite a few times and developed a following here.
    They also paid their way down there and organised their own shows. We are great mates with Paulie ( You will se a pic of him on our site playing Nell's bass at wintersun ) & Geoff and they took several years to get it together.

Dave
    www.bobkats.info

hEY LOOKS LIKE WE ARE HEADING DOWN OLE MELBOURNE TOWN WAY.

Dave
    www.bobkats.info

Wally,
    It seems clear that you are a very big fan of the band and believe they will attract a large crowd. So why keep putting it on others to take the risk, even if the end result may be break even, to present the group. Why don't you put up and promote the band yourself....

Ian wrote:
    Wally,
    It seems clear that you are a very big fan of the band and believe they will attract a large crowd. So why keep putting it on others to take the risk, even if the end result may be break even, to present the group. Why don't you put up and promote the band yourself....
    Ummm you do not read the posts I take it??

Dave
    www.bobkats.info

how come this section has 1998 hits, everyone seems to only read about the Atomic high tones and Rockabilly. that sure is a lot of hits.

Hello Mille.

Glad you asked. This thread seems to get a lot of hits due to the nature of the messages. My Band is trying to make inroads into the Melbourne scene. And it also mentions other great bands you have down there.

Rockabilly, well I think everyone has an idea of what it is but I will give you what I think.

It is not the start of popular music, and it is the crossroads.

When. Blues. Gospel & Hillbilly ( Country ) all met head on. Back in the 50's there was a small racist problem in the deep south of the USA. Problem is no one played music like American Negroe's. And there was no popular music for the youth of the day.

So "Feelgood" music was born. "Alan Freel's" coined it "Rock" Music and the locals added the "Billy" Rockabilly was born. Some 5 years later it was returned to "Rock" music then "Rock n Roll"

So to me. There is no difference at all. What I call Rockabilly others term Rock or ALT. Country.

Hope this helps.

Dave
    www.bobkats.info

I was talking to one of my friends and he said, That Rocking Daddys should start up a new venue over that side of town, I think that makes sense, because they do have a very big following over that side of town. So come on R.Daddys FIND A NEW VENUE over in the west, you'll be the best. gee I am making poetry now. :laugh: