Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re:Tuning Trips Dancers

billie wrote:
    we were told you could use the electronic tuner for drums too through the little microphone on the unit.
    They saw you coming... Sorry Billie but who ever told you that is talking blue ribbon rubbish. And anyway, drums are an acoustic instrument you will always hear them regardless of what block box is hanging off it. Did that person mention that?

in the meantime perhaps take some time to think about who you are playing for and try to please them in everyway you can. the punters are your customers, and what do they say about customers?
    Umm... nah I better not.. LOL. The customer is always right (he says biting his lip til it draws blood).

Would a customer tell off a tradesman for making noise while he/she is concentrating on doing something else? Of course not. That would mean the pergola not being finished. I can tell you what a tradie will say and you wont often get that kind of language from a muso.

the world doesn't owe musos a living. like everyone else they have to earn it and professionalism and quality are good things to aim for
    Agreed.. The world owes musos nothing.. Professionalism and quality are integral to a bands reputation and most bands do a great job having to set up, sound check (where possible), perform and then pack up themselves to keep costs down and keep working.... If the band cant sound check before the gig you will find that their has to be fine tuning along the way to ensure that the sound is right. Otherwise it would be "too $#@@^ loud", or "ya cant hear the singer" or "the speakers are squealing"..

Maybe bands should start charging 2 grand a gig and employ production crews who will mix, do the lights, tune and check their gear early in the afternoon and emply stage managers to personally assist each band member. The band would walk on and play on cue and go home after the last song. What I'd give... But that would bring the door prices up 300 percent and the roadies drinks tab would be diabolical.. LOL.

Most bands get on stage and start playing along with the music playing at the time. They cant just stand there. Theyre usually itching to play and you cant shut em up. Thats the kind of band any customer would want.

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

It doesnt take long for the S**T to start again.

One time i agree with you Bolto...I think this thread has run it's course...how about we all agree to end now...thanks
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Ok i think that the people that are causing all this are forgetting that these muso's that come out and play for us are not rock stars , they don't have the set up crews to test every thing, they are normal people just like the punters that are there to listen to them ,and don't forget that the gigs that they do during the week are done after they get home from working a daily job just like the rest of us , how hard it must be rushing home and then getting there to set up , give them a break .How can you compare going to see a local band with that of seeing Johnnie Preston ,how much did you pay to see him?

billie wrote:
    do you really think the thread has run its course when there seems to be a real opportunity for improvement here to help keep the customers satisfied and raise the standards
    YOU get up there and do better. Can you play an instrument? Can you sing? Are YOU in a working band?? If not then keep quiet. To me you sound like you have no idea about what a professional is and your criticism is not based on ANY facts.
    You can't handle the truth!

This person continually flouts the forum rules.

‘he’ needles people deliverately through the tone and inenuendo of the posts.

“bluebird, i get what you are saying.........what you get is what you pay for.”

That is downright nasty - everyone knows that is not what Bluebird meant including billie but the posts stay despite all the needling.

The forum was shut down but this person still gets away with it.

I thought this behaviour would not be tolerated?

Mel seems to be in a hard position here for some reason – I think billie would like the site/forum shut down maybe, otherwise he would not carry on like this. Just what is his agenda?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Must be hard being in the entertainment booking Field these days ay billie I mean your not getting all the shows these days and now your belting everyone else, hows it go? ohh yer, Don't call us we'll call you !!!!

Goodmorning everyone. Have noticed with interest that there seems to be some disagreement over whether a band sound checks before a gig when no patrons are there, or sound check when they are there. When I was in the entertainment scene we always had to sound check before the doors were open to the public. In fact I can well remember having half a day of work to get to gigs like Terang, or Warrnambool, or Shepparton and even in NSW so as the sound check was done prior to the event taking place, this was the rule of the promoter and for good reason I think. Nothing quite like walking into a venue and seeing the band set up with band banners and back lit, it all made for a great atmosphere. If we were unsure if an instrument was not quite in tune during the event , the tuning was done off stage so as not to annoy the customers. Anyway, have a great day everyone.

God you get up my goat , i did not for one moment say they that they were amatuers WHAT A TWIST OF WORDS ON YOUR BEHALF , what i was refering to was the fact that if you are touring with big name then then there is time for sound checks and setting up but when its at a local venue in the same room where people are eating and is open to the public at all times what are they supposed to do . would you like the venue closed for the set up so you can make your grand entrance for your night of dancing , would you like a spot light set up for you on the dance floor so you can be seen as well. haha

How come the Vic Rock police Force can get away with whinging { constructive criticism ? } Band Bashing !!! and nobody else can ??? as I said in an earlier post some people are just so precious !!! Rusty ( Ray Rust )

billie wrote:
    cat, sorry but you seemed to have missed the point.

we all have different skills and are able to make choices with what we do. people often make comments about things they actually do not do, such as playing an instrument or singing. people even make comments about cars but very few actually make them. some people say how bad the train service is and they dont drive trains. some people comment about newspapers but they dont print them. so we find your comments a bit off the point

so punters should be able to make constructive comments about what they see, what they hear and where they go. the people on the stage may consider the feedback unwelcome but that usually says more about the people than the feedback. we think that open minds amongst some in the rock scene are pretty rare

we often hear punters commenting about different bands and singers and stuff and because they dont sing or play doesnt remove their right to constructively say what they think

the comments by both millie and billie and made in good faith trying to improve a situation that was initially outlined by robe.

what we have proposed we have checked with a music shop, where presumably some musicians work, so we are punters trying to make things better for the punters, the bands, the DJ and I guess the venue

please remember what they say about customers......and in this case the customer is the punter
    Billie.. When was the last time you paid a cover charge to go and see a local band? Most gigs are free entry and bands dont get paid enough to be Billy Preston (as if he set up his own gear). If you want bands to leave their day jobs early early, sound check in the afternoon so that they can appease your idea of professionalism, I would be more than happy to send you a quote for professional services if youre willing to put up the bucks and start booking bands yourself.

You reserve the right to have your say and have an opinion. But as soon as someone in the knows explains the reasons why or why not, you come back with more as if you're baiting people... If you have an issue about bands tuning up or whatever, go to a disco or karaoke bar.. You wont get that sort of hassle from a CD.

BassThumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

I just have to state that cat is way off the mark, re we get what we pay for.. the bands give more and more, than what we pay for and I can see what billie and millie are on about,this is not just a rockabilly site, but a rockn roll site for all. you lot are all ganging up on billie, not good.
    What the hell is all the big red writing about, I can remember when that person came on telling everyone off, for useing capitals. Still whats the most inportant thing...??? the number of posts ha ha ha.
    I do agree with millie that bands that do sound checks, 123 123 testing testing. can be annoying, Flash back and Rocking daddies dont do that, this does not mean they are the best bands, its just that they are more proffessional inn what they do, and they do it so well.
    Dont lets read things into postings that are not there.
    I do think that all places should charge a gold coin entry,
    Just for the record, I am not Ciff from the daddys.
    This is a great site, I have been looking at it for awhile now, and felt that I would just love to say something, now that I have I feel a lot better. Do keep up your comments Billie I read between the lines and see that you are trying like hell to make things better for all.

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Billie … … … If you continue to insult our intelligence with your posts, then be prepared to be constantly treated with contempt and be prepared to receive some nasty comments or, have the forum police give you the ‘lemonade & sars’ off this site, which ever comes first. Maaaate, come on, please … … … three posts to try and convince us that you, or we, didn’t know what a guitar tuner was … … … give us a break. What’s next? … … Trying to convince us that we don’t know who you are? Undermining people to make a point only shows a lack of intelligence.
    My opinion only.
    PS. billie, IÂ’ll check if this thread of posts makes a difference at the FTGH today, I doubt it though.
    :blink:
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

cliff: It was NOT me who said something about getting what we pay for, it was billie who twisted bluebird's words. You owe me an apology. (I used big red words to express that I'm angry, there's nothing wrong with that, I didn't abuse anyone and I didn't use capitals. oh and also re your point about post counts, look at billie. they have something to say about EVERYTHING like they're some kind of expert. hahaha. My post count is high because I've been here since the old forums and that's quite a long time.)

billie: what do you mean "we think the mistake weve made is comparing amateurs with professionals, but we think that when they are on stage they are all professionals because they all get paid"?? It's only YOU who's making those kinds of comparisons. Don't put words in other people's mouths/posts.

rusty and jazz: I agree with your posts. It looks to me like quite a few of us "regulars" here are defending bands and expressing our dismay at the "feel" of these forums. It's not fun anymore.
    You can't handle the truth!

YOU ARE SO ON THE BALL JAZZA, I AGREE..
    GOOD POSTING MATE

It is no wonder that we continualy praise our local bands.

They do listen to and interact with the audience.

I have been really pleased to note that not one of the bands that I have enjoyed since this post started have disturbed the dancing during the DJ set.

The guys that did have to adjust their gear played in tempo with the record that was on. It seems that our musos are so keen and so focussed on giving us the best possible sound that they just did not realise what the effect was.

To all our mighty bands let me say in the words of Gomer Pyle - "Thenk ya, thenk ya, thenk ya!" :blink:
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.