0 Replies
Aisha Khan (UK) On Tour
Last post by Jitterbug
20-03-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tuning Trips Dancers

Picture this. We are dancing to the DJ set. The band is getting ready to come back on or one of the musos has the notion that his/her instrument needs a bit of care. They play some licks (sometimes a lot of licks). But not in time with the song the DJ has on. So its stuffs up our dancing.

Tell me musicians; did you know you were doing this? Is it necessary to interrupt the music and dancing this way? Is there a compromise?
    hmy:
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Re:Tuning Trips Dancers

Yes there is - get over it

When an average night runs from about 8-12, where you can dance constantly in that time thanks to having a DJ and a band I don't think 30 seconds before each set is going to ruin your night.

some people are just so precious !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" I don't think 30 seconds before each set is going to ruin your night."
    I don't think anyone denies the bands right to tune up before each set...but...do it in your own time..please

Personally as a DJ it's annmoying, & I have done the following...as soon as the band does it's tuning thing over the DJ....just fade out & announce the band back on stage....doesn't matter if all the crew is not there...I'm sure if the DJ did a sound check durring the last song of the band bracket there wpould be hell to pay,....most bands don't respect the roll the DJ plays at a dance...it's something we as dance promoters have to stress on the bands we retain for the night, because after all we run the dance for you punters....to be able to dance equally to the band & the DJ.
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Drop ya strides Rob it's smack time !! :laugh:

Oh and by the way Cliver it ain't all about Djs either, from what i can see this thread will end up being a band bashing exersize,
    we too reserve the right to tune and make sure its just right, think I've heard it all now.. Too Loud, Too fast, Too Slow now it's don't tune... Lets not go there because a few truths may arise

Let me clear this up - we guitarists are not tuning, we just look at the ground and pretend to be tuning, the small thing that looks like a pack of cigs is actually a battery TV and we're watching the footy while the DJ carefully puts the needle on the CD :-p

Nah its very thready, but I must try and trip a few dancers next time I tune up to see if you're correct.

The worlds a horrible place isnt it Rob?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's this world coming to when people pick at every little thing?

Be fair to the musicians and try not to be so hard on them. They get to the venue to set up well before you turn up for a night of dancing, and are there long after you've gone home to pull down and lug their gear home. There's nothing worse for them than to play a song out of tune.

It's rare that they do this over a DJ's song.

By being so picky you're likely to kill what is essentially a great "scene".

One "trip-up" ruins your night? If that's the case you might as well pack up your shoes and leave right then and there as you're sure as eggs not going to appreciate the entertainment for the rest of the night if you're going to let a tiny human error like that niggle at you while you try to dance to EVERY song during the night.

Sheesh, lighten up and be grateful you have bands and DJ's to entertain you.
    You can't handle the truth!

I stand by what I have said and am glad to have heard Clive's opinion.

I love to dance.

I love the bands.

I love the Classic Rock community.

Musicians fiddling with their gear and messing up the dancing happens at most venues from time to time and with most bands.

I honestly believe the musos do not know they are causing a problem to dancers. Probably because they are focussed on getting the best set-up for the next set.

If they matched the tempo of the track being played it would not cause problems.

I will be at Little M's tonight, the Monash on Sat and the Middle on Sunday and will be happy to discuss this subject with anyone.

Thanks
    Rob Ewart

www.VRRDA.org.au

Man things have sure changed since the old Rock & Roll days -sounds like some of these people are from another planet!

Let's say the band and DJ play at most 4 sets each.

You might get "tripped up" 4 times in one night out of 100+ songs you might hear in one night..........pretty trivial in my opinion.

Lighten up and enjoy the other 96+ songs you get to dance to.
    You can't handle the truth!

When this girl stands for parliment I'm gonna vote twice.
    can i be minister for tripping?..No ? ohh thats right there are plenty of trippers in this world huh ? hahhahaaah I say hahaha
    Seriously Folks .. pffffffffffffhahahahahahaaaaaa.

ROBO!ROBO! ROBO!Looking foward to our next gig together!It,s Gonna B ...FUN....FUN....FUN!!!!!LUV YA MATE!!ssssshhanne!

I understand that it may be an annpyance to some but geez w given the amount of annoying BS musicians put up with, I wish some punters had a little black box so when they have something to whine about noone can hear them.... LOL

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

I agree bass humper.
    We musos will stop playing over DJ songs when Dancers stop annoying the living s**t out of the band....Its too slow....its too fast....you dont play enough elvis...your too loud....Blah Blah Blah.... Thats My Opinion Only.
    I hope i havent offended anyone in this Cotton Wool wraped up world of ours?

The Fenderbenders did it beautifully last night at Little Maria's.

Towards the end of one break and as each one of them drifted back onto the stage they started to play under Flash Gordon's song. Then, when they were together, they picked up the volume and took over. Flashy faded the song down and they were away.

I bet a lot of the dancers did not even notice the change-over.

I am always impressed by the skill, showmanship and postive attitude of our local bands and musos. :P

(Even the over-sensitive ones.) :laugh:
    Rob Ewart

www.VRRDA.org.au

Great Billie get me one for drums... Fairdinkum!
    What? you people think its all set and forget do you? Think again. Like i said travel a mile in a muso's shoes and stop being so trivial it's laughable.... :laugh:

What you were told and what is fact are 2 different things the drum still has to make a noise where do I plug it in to? its an acoustic instrument.
    And as for pleasing my crowd we do a great job and no one in the world owes muso's anything except the fact that we entertain and make people happy and forget their troubles for at least a short time, but understand this Muso's make the record that Dj's play, so yer i guess you do owe us, and another point we ain't making the noise .. You are!
    I think that you have missed robs point all together Billie..
    Read it again and again and again till it sinks in then apologise to all the muso's

Well said Billie,
    I have noticed Flash back don't make a racket like some do. They are one of the most professional bands going around for that sort of thing. I don't know why some people miss understand what we are saying, without taking it the wrong way all the time. A lot of post made by some people, it is clear to me that they are just trying to keep their number of posts up, give it a break. All the bands are great, the ones I have seen anyway, you all do a great job, but some of you do lack a little professionalism. Has anyone else noticed that Flash Back don't do a lot of testing of the sound, they just get straight into it,nothing more annoying....testing , testing. testing.1.2.3.//.......1.2.3..Why is this so, I would like to know?