03-04-2024 06:30 PM
0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

2013 Melbourne Rockabilly Meltdown

"Melbourne Meltdown" sounds strange in the cold & wet weather we have been experiencing lately in Melbourne but if you have attended this rockabilly event last weekend, you would certainly beg to differ. Indeed it was a "hot" weekend of rockabilly with just about everything one would crave for - pulsating rockin' music & rockabilly bands, hot rods and kustoms & classic display, 1950's style fashion parade, Miss Pin Up, body ink and dance competitions, burlesque, merchandise and lots of dancing. This year must have been the fifth year hosting of the Melbourne Rockabilly Meltdown but it was just as good, if not better than events from past years.

Crowd attendance & support from inter-state visitors (especially Queensland, Tassie and WA) have been fantastic on all three days. Good to see lots of Gen X and Y attending and also seeing the vibrant display of 1950's style fashions at all three venues. The "Meltdown" kicked off on Friday night at Wheelers Hill Hotel that Jazza has already written about, then followed by the gig at Burvale Hotel on Saturday night and culminating with the "BIG" one at Ferntree Gully Hotel on Sunday. My personal view is that Burvale Hotel is great as a large venue but somehow it lacks the vibe and atmosphere of the other two venues.

This year's headline acts were Wes & the Sonic Aces and the Flattrackers with debut appearance for Coral Lee & the Silver Scream, Infernos and Rock'A'dees. Good to see crowd favourites again like Atomic Hi Tones, Flyin' Saucers, Blackhill Ramblers, Itchy Fingers, Dirty Boogie Band, Detonators and Jump 'n' Jive. All in all, a good blend of music and genres and all very danceable music which was like manna from heaven for the dancers.

The Jollys did well again promoting the event which is starting to become a rockabilly institution in Melbourne. Arguably, the Melbourne Rockabilly Meltdown has ignited a string of other very popular rockabilly events in Victoria and the latest offering is the inaugural rockabilly festival on Philip Island in January next year. Yeah - rock on Melbourne!

Some videos from the weekend. More to come soon .....

Last edited by Jitterbug; 27-05-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: add video

Re: 2013 Melbourne Rockabilly Meltdown

Well done again Jitts, all the people of Melbourne are so blessed to have such a formidable lineup of fantastic talent, especially "Wes & the Sonics", Flattrackers and of course all those guys & gals from the bands who reside way down south, it sounded like one hell of a great weekend, if only we could have been there to witness and of course have a little dance to some of these bands, ah well maybe next time. Thanks for the review mate great vids.
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

Katia, Jules, Jackie, Rhonnie and myself miss out because we get stuck on the door so thankyou Paul for the videos and review to let us know what it was like.

Coming up some more awesome events. What this space.

In 2 Weeks - 2nd June - Reverend Horton Heat at the Ferntree Gully Hotel.
    A Texas Legend, singer, song writer who has made a mainstream name for himself with his songs being used in commercials and on video games.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWnB...D02wQynViAF6Ds
    http://youtu.be/bPxKWs6bFiI

Just to add, the faithful crew were fantastic as always - Con, Jenny, Rob, Margie and Neil kept the carpark organized, Noel was Roady and Gofor all 3 nights, Jazza was DJ, Jodie from Expressive Designs in Mentone ran the Tattoo Comps, Christine from Vivien of Holloway organized the Miss PinUp Comp, Gerhard was the MC, Jules, Rhonny, Katia and Jackie were door bitches with me, Cliff was sound man Friday & Saturday night with some help from Mark from the Flattrakkers and George. Brian from Newcastle just got lucky one night and P#&%ed the other and was no help at all LOL.
    Drumpower from Bayswater lent us a drum kit and Nepean Music in Frankston lent us some guitar Amps Thanks guys and gals.

I gave away 700 chocolate Bars and Lolly Bags on Sunday. gjo267 not only did you miss out on some awesome entertainment, you missed out on Summer Rolls, Rollos, Strawberrys & Cream, Jellys, Teeth, Snap Crackle Bars, Mints, & Star Bars. Graham(AKA Happiness) and Glen told me off for never coming their way with the chocolates. Everytime I went out with an armful they were gone before I reached them.

Yes it was a fantastic 3 days, and everyone had a great time, and thanks to the efforts of everyone who made it such a great event, but and there is always a but, I would love to see Firebird, Hank Jalopy Demons and Billy O'Neill & the Headliners next year, in the line up. Job well done everyone.

Well, Figgy .You and Cliffy have put your balls on the line once again with the many sleepless nights and worry you must have had to endure to put on this great event.It all payed off with what I think has been the best meltdown to date.I was just to happy to be part of it. Woohoo.!.
    By the way.. Zeek tried to sneak in again without paying..