01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Good Medicine Hanks Jalopy Demons

I climbed off my deathbed yesterday to enjoy the good medicine from HankÂ’s Jalopy Demons.

(Well, I got up off the couch where I had been nursing my sore throat and feeling sorry for myself.)

We are so spoiled in Melbourne to have access to so many top outfits. The Demons are world class. Fine musicianship, enormous energy and they look like they just fell through a time-warp.

I had been watching “Great Balls of Fire”, the Jerry Lee Lewis story, with Denis Quaid as The Killer and Winona Ryder as His Cousin.

(Contentious aside: My votes for best rock bio-dramas.
    1 – “La Bamba”, the Ritchie Valens tragically short story with Lou Diamond Phillips as Ritchie. It includes an inspired cameo appearance of Brain Setzer as Eddie Cochrane.
    2 – “Great Balls of Fire”
    3 – The JOK TV series
    4 - Whatever the Buddy Holly pic was called
    5 – Perhaps “Walk the Line” because I cannot think of any other more notable films.

It is about time we had an Eddie Cochrane flic and a Gene Vincent story too.)

So I get up from watching this 50Â’s based movie and stepped right into the real thing with HankÂ’s Jalopy Demons at the Ferntree Gully Hotel. Probably good that they did not have a piano player, my heart would have exploded.

So thanks Demons, thanks Jazza and thanks to the Middle. It did not cure my throat but I certainly stopped feeling crook.
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Re:Good Medicine Hanks Jalopy Demons

Hi Rob...

We'd also be rapt to see something done on Billy Haley,
    Buddy Holly, the Everley Brothers...

There were so many great artists from the mid 50's to
    the mid 60's - the list is probably "endless"...

Mary & Ray
    Mary & Ray
    Gorgeous Rock 'n' Swing Gear

http://www.gorgeous-gear.com

I too was feeling ordinary after a particularly big party night Sat. night. HJD's always make me feel good and they're my favourite Rockabilly band. I hated leaving early but I was on my way to the Bendigo Hotel.
    You can't handle the truth!

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yes, another great afternoon at the Gully. Hank & the Demons were commenting on the atmosphere of the Gully after their inaugural performance there. They said the vibe was electric and the punters were a pleasure to play to. The dancing continued well after the band left. Thanks again to those who support this venue and a big thankyou to Cliff & Mayann who handed me a ‘get outta jail free card’ when they sorted & set up the in-house vocal PA, before they dashed to their Bendigo Hotel gig.
    I must share this story with you coz itÂ’s kinda cute. Gully regulars & locals, Sally & 16 year old daughter Carly, were oblivious to the r&r scene here till they drove past and read the FTGH Sunday Rock & Roll billboard last February. They decided to attend one afternoon. Their first taste of our scene was a mind-blowing performance by Firebird, then after witnessing the Flying Saucers with Belinda on slap bass, that was it, they were hooked.
    They now have regular dance lessons by Andy and attend other gigs. Carly was so inspired, she has purchased a double bass and about to have lessons and they encourage other family members to attend the Gully. They keep saying they are overwhelmed by the friendliness of the people in the r&r scene. Cool story Hey! So one more thankyou to Robe, Whem, Paul etc who recognise & encourage these newbies and help them with dancing.
    Catch you all next Sunday with ‘The Sky Rockats’. By the way Robe, ‘Deadmans Curve’ the story of Jan & Dean is a great movie.
    Jazzman
    B)
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Well Jazza once again you are spot on - thats a really great story and how good to see someone young getting into the R & R. I am still amazed at how many young people get out to the dances and sure they may drift off for a while but eventually come back - the reason is the beat to the music, gets in your blood. I truely believe that the bumber bar stickers have hit the nail on the head "Rock n Roll will never die"