0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
    Essex Guest

Dandenong Workers Club

Very disappointed to hear the Dandenong Workers Club is going to charge $9.00 admission on a Sunday. The price comes off your meal but if you donÂ’t eat there or arrive late, then it is an expensive night. They are also charging for Saturday's.

When you think for just $10 you can go to Little MariaÂ’s, RockinÂ’ Suzies, Top Cats and other venues plus you are supporting our local bands and have a venue with atmosphere.

Re:Dandenong Workers Club

No Way Essex???... now that is dissappointing!!! That was one place we enjoyed going along too, now we will be thinking twice. As you pointed out I would much prefer to spend $10 and attend the likes of L.M's and get a great atmosphere and support our Rock n Roll bands. That really is a shame, I hope it doesn't backfire and cause too many people to go elsewhere.

Essex,

How much are they going to charge for Saturday Nights?

I am not aware that there will be any charge for Friday Nights which are the nights that you refer too with LM's ,and Suzies. Or, do you include Friday's as well?

I must say though, that the Dandy Workers is a very comfortable venue with a great atmosphere.

You have to remember, that most venues are not aware that Rock and Rollers go out any where between 2 and up to 5 nights a week if you include dance classes. So they don't appreciate that ones social budget can only be spread so far.

I really do think that we Melbournians are a lucky bunch to have so many venues that agree to have Rock and Roll nights. Some charge and some don't. At least on most weekends, you have a choice of venues to go too to see your favorite band and I think there has to be a cost for that if we want it to continue that way.

Essex Guest

Lyndon

We do indeed have many good venues and of course we are prepared to pay for them. However, while I am sure some dancers are happy to pay $9.00 to eat and listen to a DJ, I would prefer my money to go towards supporting a venue using live music on a Sunday night. Eg. Micawbers. The food is excellent there too.

I am just commenting because I think it is a shame that a charge has been introduced and I am sure it will affect patronage and this could become another venue dancers wonÂ’t have.

I only used Marias and other venues as a comparison – there is no competition there on a Sunday night.

I think the charge for Saturday Night is $11.00 – someone may be able to confirm this?

Yes,

Via the risk of being assasinated by a DJ, when we are on a break, I would rather go to where there is a live band as well.

Unless you are going along to say, a venue specifically to learn Rock and Roll such as Antony's Thursday Night at Yarraville, I reckon all Rock and Roll should be "LIVE" and spontaneous.

But as a muso, I would say that wouldn't I ? .

It's not that long ago that Dandy Workers used to charge for Sundays - $7.00 - & then they dropped it. I guess they have to re-coup some of the costs that are incurred in opening the venue for Rock N Roll, & have been one of the mainstays on a Sunday night for some years. Again it probably gets back to 'how much' free water they are prepared to give away....and that starts of another debate....
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Sundays aren't completley shot down yet. It's worth checking out the "Rock and Roll News" to see who's on at dinner time (6.30 - 8.30pm.) at Springvale R.S.L. They usually have entertainment, like Rick Charles. They have good meals starting from $7.00. When that's over you can whip around to the Waltzing Matilda, they haven't started charging yet. If all the rock and rollers drink there is water, they will no doubt start charging as well.

as I am In the U.K. I do feel I must comment.......Just $10 to get into a venue? That is cheap, real cheap. I dont know what the exchange rate is, but here you would pay £5 and that is cheap, that could be $15 or more in your money. But then again us poms know how to down a pint, or two.

Very valid point Roni,

If you cheapen the food, the entertainment, the condition of the venue and facilities, it would be easy to run a cheap night that everyone could afford to go too 6 days a week.

I personaly prefer that the standard of entertainment, food and surroundings be of a good quality and believe you get what you pay for.

At the end of the day, everyone has to make a living....Licenced venues and even non licenced venues for that matter, have to make a profit. Not just cover costs. Otherwise they would never be able to afford modernization, airconditioning and replacement of every thing else that contributes to comforable night.

The cheapest is not always the best and in the long run, ends up being the worst.

dj,s are a fact of life and they have to be payed for some how
    and they do complement a band most of the time.if you look at the friday nights at dandy workers how many people eat there,most of the rockers come in around 9.oo with a free entry.also this is the main night of rock n roll as well.whats wrong with the waltzy on sunday nights.free entry and dj,s????
    the dandy workers are only trying to get more people to eat at the venue other wise they wouldn,t charge anything,most venues other than halls dont really want rock n roll because the rockers dont like spending money period.there are to many venues on a sunday know this why they are all quiet and not full,on the 25th of june flashback are playing at the waltzing matilda on sunday night if you come and make it a big night maybe the management will see the logic and put more bands on and not dj,s.you cannot compere a dj with a live band its chalk and chesse to me but then again some bands dont like dj,s at all.

roni wrote:
    as I am In the U.K. I do feel I must comment.......Just $10 to get into a venue? That is cheap, real cheap. I dont know what the exchange rate is, but here you would pay £5 and that is cheap, that could be $15 or more in your money. But then again us poms know how to down a pint, or two.
    The current exchange rate would make £5 = $12.00 or close to it. That's big bikkies to just hear a DJ play music, no live band. And here, a lot of the rockers/dancers don't drink anything harder than lemonade. (Rockabillies on the other hand do drink, they're not afraid to spend money over the bar).
    You can't handle the truth!

I'll second that Cat

I third that Cat and lisanne B) B) B)
    Rumors are carried by haters, Spread by fools, and accepted by Idiots

I disagree.

I am absolutely positive that not that long ago, both Cat and Utopia were very forcefull in their argument that Rockers and Rockabilly's were one in the same.

I didn't misinterprete.
    It is only a generalisation that some drink more than others relative to their musical tastes.

People who tend to support Rockabilly venues are on average, younger than traditional rockers and as such, can and do tend to drink more.

I drink more than my share and I like both types of music. So what about that eh?
    And, I am sure there are more like me, that endugle in all three, than there are people that only like rockabilly music alone.

In fact I bet you your next drink. :laugh:

Getting back to the topic - Essex wrote:
    Very disappointed to hear the Dandenong Workers Club is going to charge $9.00 admission on a Sunday. The price comes off your meal but if you donÂ’t eat there or arrive late, then it is an expensive night.
    People wouldn't mind paying $9 and eating there if the meals were halfway decent. It's common knowledge the meals at the Workers on a Sunday are sub standard, have been for years. That is why so few people eat there.

This entry charge will see the end of the Workers on a Sunday when you consider that as well as free live bands at Micawbers there are also free Sunday dances with live bands at Davies in Frankston and that new place in Mentone. And lets not forget the Waltzy is still free for the moment.