0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Thread: Cooly Rock

Cooly Rock

Just back from a week at Cooly Rocks. Plenty of people, cars and bands, but unfortunatly a bit of rain on the weekend. Weather was cooler with temperatures all week around 20 but still warmer than Melbourne. There were a couple of new venues like Ivory Tavern, a swing marquee, and Club Banora this year to add to the choices with reasonable sized dance floors, but the program was missing some of the dances that were on which was a pity. Dances at Kirra sports club and PCYC weren't listed in program and I'd missed seeing them on the web site so missed out. Hopefully the organisers will get better at publicity next year.

Bands on the saturday and sunday didn't start till 11am this year so there weren't as many bands playing as last year, but those I saw were great. Keep an eye out for Jono Nicholson, 19 year old with a powerful voice who is new to the rock n roll scene. He received a standing ovation at the PCYC dance on Fri night singing Hellalluha unacompanied.

There were more road closures to make room for more cars this year. The amount of rock n roll dancing early in the week was rather light on compared to previous years, which had a few rockers grumbling. Dancing in the Showcase shopping centre from 11-3 each day was great, with a smooth tiled floor, out of the wind, with places to sit and enjoy a coffee while watching the dancing. Maybe some of our shopping centres could do the same thing occasionally for a bit of atmosphere?

How did others enjoy the 2nd Cooly Rocks On festival? I think we should provide feedback to the organisers so they can continue to improve each year.

Last edited by Jitterbug; 11-06-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Re: Cooly Rock

Good report, Joceb. From what I read on facebook, the rain did come a bit on the weekend which was unfortunate. Still I presume there were other venues to dance and watch bands indoors.

Any videos or pixs to share for the benefit of those who weren't there?

Only took a couple of videos. Firebird playing in Griffith St, and dancing in Showcase shopping centre. Will load them to youtube and try to attach them.

Firebird playing in Griffith St, Cooly Rocks 2012.http://youtu.be/RPKeMApfpeE

OK I need help on how to insert a youtube clip, the last 2 didn't work

Good to see the dancing going on in the Showcase shopping centre. Hope that is an initiative that continues in coming years.
    Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt

Smile Re: Cooly Rock

Quote Originally Posted by joceb View Post
    Just back from a week at Cooly Rocks. Plenty of people, cars and bands, but unfortunatly a bit of rain on the weekend. Weather was cooler with temperatures all week around 20 but still warmer than Melbourne. There were a couple of new venues like Ivory Tavern, a swing marquee, and Club Banora this year to add to the choices with reasonable sized dance floors, but the program was missing some of the dances that were on which was a pity. Dances at Kirra sports club and PCYC weren't listed in program and I'd missed seeing them on the web site so missed out. Hopefully the organisers will get better at publicity next year.

Bands on the saturday and sunday didn't start till 11am this year so there weren't as many bands playing as last year, but those I saw were great. Keep an eye out for Jono Nicholson, 19 year old with a powerful voice who is new to the rock n roll scene. He received a standing ovation at the PCYC dance on Fri night singing Hellalluha unacompanied.

There were more road closures to make room for more cars this year. The amount of rock n roll dancing early in the week was rather light on compared to previous years, which had a few rockers grumbling. Dancing in the Showcase shopping centre from 11-3 each day was great, with a smooth tiled floor, out of the wind, with places to sit and enjoy a coffee while watching the dancing. Maybe some of our shopping centres could do the same thing occasionally for a bit of atmosphere?

How did others enjoy the 2nd Cooly Rocks On festival? I think we should provide feedback to the organisers so they can continue to improve each year.

We also were at Cooly...loved Jono, danced to him at Kirra Sports. Also enjoyed Si Cranstoun (what a voice!) and 'On the prowl' with Frankie J. Shame about the weather but still had a great time...