The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: smoking

smoking

is it true the place was full of smokers.

Re:smoking

Where was was this Danny

That is a good Question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisanne
    Rumors are carried by haters, Spread by fools, and accepted by Idiots

the monash hotel

Thanx Danny for bringing this up.
    After Saturday night we are now aware that it is a problem.
    Unfortunately you were not there so you are going on hear say only. But it is something for those who are involved in this new venue to look at and rectify. Much appreciate your interest and just to reasure everyone, there is a solution to every problem. B) B) B)

It is a hotel and until next year when the no smoking bans are in force if you don't like the smoke don't go

Smoking is a definite problem, particularly for people who haven't been able to give it up, choose not to give it up, or are still of an age that they don't think that it is bad for them.

As an older muso, I can confirm that even after having given up smoking for about 20 years now, I have had my Asthma return and have been diagnosed as borderline Emphysema.

The cause of the Emphysema has been confirmed as being as a direct result of continued exposure to passive smoke while playing in bands, particularly because the smoke rises and accumulates at a higher level in the room. When you consider that in most cases, bands set up on stages that put us musos up very close to the ceiling which makes it the worst place to be in a room full of smoke.

I am not whinging, or trying to lecture on the subject because I chose to be a muso, but there is a solution to the problem and the quicker the regulation is enforced the better.

And please don't jump on me for making this post, as I am not an anti smoker and I do believe people have a right to smoke, but I also believe that the longer your health lasts, the longer you can Rock and Roll. And I am all for that.

Yep danny what you heard is right the were smoking...

I would say that the 2 bands in question were smoking hot and had the place on fire...

Now what's the problem--to fast--to loud ???

Don't think you will have to worry about the smoking at the monash from what i hear danny...

MMMmmmmmm B)

I agree, but yes I am a smoker, and I agree that long term smoking will cause people harm, I just get alittle pissed off with people who like stand on a soapbox.
    Maybe if we banned alcohol in Hotels then we wouldn't have road accidents.

Lisanne,

When I made my posting, I was really trying hard not to appear to be standing on a soapbox. Just as you expressed your opinion, so did I. The fact that I qualified my posting with some unfortunate self inflicted evidence of the horrors of passive smoking, doesn't mean that I condem people that do smoke. Smokers don't offend me. It is the smoke that kills me.

Oh, since you mentioned it, no, it is not the alcohol in hotels that causes road accidents, it is the idiots that drink to much of it, then drive that cause the accidents.

if you don't like the heat just stay out of the kitchen

if i was a rockabilly band i probably would get a job there but i dont work in small hotels.

Lisanne you have it all wrong. The bands and pubs want numbers in to support them. The fact is that the majority of people DONT smoke and a lot of people (including myself) think twice about going to places that let smoking occur in the same room as the dance floor. The reality is that you can go outside to smoke whereas the non smokers cant go outside for a dance. There is nothing worse that trying to enjoy a dance and putting up with cigarette smoke. I tend to have a few beers but I dont then go and let the aftermath of that ruin other peoples night by getting it on their clothes, much less the whole health issue debate which is no longer really a debate as everyone with any brains acknowledges the harm it does, both passive and direct. The people who have this gig up and running have done a great job and I am sure they will sort the issue out but in the meantime if you offered to wash my clothes and get rid of that stale smoke smell from them I promise to be more tolerant

G’day – Just thought I would say a few words – The Monash hotel was full of smoke on Friday and I heard lots of people complain about it – don’t jump on Lyndon for putting his point across. He is entitled to it AND I think he is right in this instance.

You canÂ’t compare smoking to drinking. You sit beside a drinker and you donÂ’t go home stinking of alcohol, coughing from the fumes, eyes stinging, smelling so much that you canÂ’t get the odour out of your gear.

People should certainly be allowed to smoke, but the non-smokers are the majority and that night many of them were fed up with it.

Let’s hope they do something about it – the bands were fantastic-even loved the Oysters - they were on fire, the venue is good, the smoke would put many off.

Zeek was pointed out to me – you are so CUTE… but who was the blond – ???
    :blink:

I didnt notice the smoke until I got home. My clothes were reaking of smoke. But it was the Monash Hotel not the Monash Medical Centre and smoking is still a reality.

To be honest keeping it in perspective, theres smoking at the Ferntree Gully too and thats a much more confined space.

I did notice that the other side of the bar, in front of the entrance was relatively empty and that most of the action was happening on the stage side of the bar. I got there early to grab a meal and the after work crowd was there dispersed throughout the pub so the smoke wasnt concentrated to one side of the room.

When the bands started playing, the other side of the bar was virtually empty. Maybe that could be a designated smoking area when bands are on. Its not perfect and I dont know how it can be implemented but maybe the promoters can ask.

OzRebel

maybe the aircon at the monash needs an upgrade to cater for the smoke. if you only notice it at soem veneues and not others guess it suggests some changes may be need at some venues. do you reckon smokings a health hazad

Lyndon, tggsb and bree have said it all. As a drinker I have no affect whatsoever on you when I am drinking in the same room as you. As a smoker you affect me and everyone else around you in the room. Lissanne you seem comfortable with that. I have the utmost respect for others like you who are addicted to nicotine and are aware of the effect smoking has on others so go outside to indulge their habit.

As for Figjam's comments, she is obviously trying to talk up the venue. Even Utopia, who appears to be one of the organisers, admitted there was a smoke problem in her post earlier.

Bruce,
    Thanx for the complement, but you have got it wrong. I am no organizer of this venue. Just a happy R/ Roller who thanked Danny for bring the smoking problem to light. The credit goes to The Monash for creating another place for us in this scene to go to and enjoy. Smoking is a problem whereever you go not just at The Monash. Figjam is trying to help find a solution to keep everyone happy , what is wrong with that.
    :blink: :blink: :blink:

I am usualy sensitive to smoke at a venue but I did not really notice a problem on Friday night. Perhaps it depended on where you were in the room.

As an ex-smoker I will be pleased when the ban comes in.

People certainly have a right to chose what they do to themselves but they have a responsibility to not disadvantage others.

I go to pubs to drink and to enjoy the entertainment, not to breathe smoke.
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Danny wrote:
    if i was a rockabilly band i probably would get a job there but i dont work in small hotels.
    Bombs away ... :laugh:

Not to mention the lack of wheelchair access for your crowd mate

:lol: :lol: :lol: