03-04-2024 06:30 PM
0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

"Mars Attack" at the Monash

In 1938, millions of people were shocked by news of an invasion by Martians with people fleeing from their homes screaming after the radio broadcast of "War of the World" by HG Wells. Fast forward to April, 2012 earth was again under attack from Mars but only this time, people were driven by passion for rockabilly music to flock to the Monash hotel for a first time debut performance by an international rockabilly act - the Swiss/Austrian band, Mars Attack.

It was a 3-band gig at the Nash last Saturday night with the very talented and exciting Rechords playing first up to an enthusiastic crowd. The band has great stage presence and their style of music & harmony exult youth, originality & freshness bringing delight to those who love rockabilly with a touch of southern twang and western swing. The Atomic Hi Tones were next with their high octane rockabilly and as usual a favourite with those who also love dancing. "Mars Attack" being the headline act for the night finally came on to rapturous applause from the crowd. Dancing and chatters were forgotten for a little while as many were busily working their digital cameras and videos. This Swiss/Austrian rockabilly band has strong stage presence, high tempo & tight musicality and a booming vocal. How can one not be excited by their performance and from what I heard they even slowed down the tempo towards the end so dancers could also enjoy dancing to their music. What a great night out and I really regretted not staying to the end but had to depart earlier due to other commitments.

In the last few years, the Jolleys' M&J Promotions, have promoted and staged numerous multi-band gigs but I think this is their first in getting an overseas act to play. So well done to the Jolleys. And from rumours circulating around the scene, perhaps multi-band gigs is the only way forward to salvage Saturday "rockabilly" nights at the Nash. So all good things do not need to come to an end early but we rockers must contribute more to cherish our live rockabilly scene and support it well. It's maybe the only way.

Thumbs up Re: "Mars Attack" at the Monash

Intersting to me that "Mars attack" were the main drawcard at the monash saturday night. Granted they were excellent at what they did.But .... Im thinking in their own country they woud be thought of as just another good rockabillyband.... If you need a boost in popularity just travel overseas .. It happenes to all of us when we travel... even interstate. For mine, the best band on the night was right under our noses... THE ATOMIC HI TONES.