0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Selfish Wanker Dancers

Have I, as a dancer, been a selfish wanker?

I have never thought about this before.

I go to Rock venues to dance. Dancing is my thing and I see myself as a competent dancer. I automatically expect to be able to dance at venues.

I just assume that I have a right to find a spot on the floor.

I resent people who I think take up “too much space”, including: R’n’R couples who dance too far apart, partying women who disco dance in a circle around their purses and spectators who stand on the dance floor when there are other spaces for watching the band.

I get annoyed when people take a short cut across the floor, particularly when they are carrying drinks.

The Vic Rock Forum members that I know are mostly either dancers or musos (and a few are both). I have never thought that there might be Rock fans with a down on dancers.
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Re:Selfish Wanker Dancers

icon wrote:
    No RobE .Your not a selfish wanker as a dancer.. ..Its when your standing still
    Thanks icon I just spilt coffee on my keyboard.... Now THAT was funny

:x :x :x

I think it's more a matter of people dancing "into your dance space" without checking before they take that huge back step or throwing their partners into your dance space . That really annoys me as I do my very utmost to watch out for other dancers. Then there are those dancers that just walk in between you and your partner and start dancing " in your space"
    Disco dancers and others dont really worry me as they have every right to enjoy dancing to their style but basic space etiquette is lacking nowadays. I have the bruises on my feet to prove it!
    Dance teachers...please make it a part of your teaching again to remind your students that there are other people on the floor as well! That used to be one of the Commandments of Dancing - Thou Shall Watch Out For Others Before Taking That Allmighty Back Step

I'm a musician and if you want to talk about dancers encroaching on each other people's space, try playing on a low stage or directly on a floor.

I cant tell you the number of times musicians stand there in rigid fear of dancers who are totally oblivious to anything and come in spinning and crashing into microphone stands, clobbering singers or guitarists or tripping over fold back wedges.

And do they apologise???... No they make a joke out of it by saying something intelligent like "whooops hehehehe"

So while dancers criticise other dancers.. Youre all as bad as each other..
    :laugh:

well OzRebel - your comments were probably true and correct up until the last line "you dancers are all as bad as each other" That would have to be an insult to all of us who actually do try to make an effort for others - true I have probably got in the way of others every now and again but your comment would be the same as me saying that all muso's are rude ignorant stuck up self indulgent try hard artists - simply not true of course and goes to prove my point that you dont taint all with the one brush.

tggsb wrote:
    well OzRebel - your comments were probably true and correct up until the last line "you dancers are all as bad as each other" That would have to be an insult to all of us who actually do try to make an effort for others - true I have probably got in the way of others every now and again but your comment would be the same as me saying that all muso's are rude ignorant stuck up self indulgent try hard artists - simply not true of course and goes to prove my point that you dont taint all with the one brush.
    Dude.. I put the smiling face to show I was really just kidding.. Sorry if you didnt see the joke there.. I wasnt being serious with that

zeek wrote:
    RobE.Zeek from Cronella NSW here. Whats all this talk about wankers? .It seems you didnt mention me any where.... Im offended. I,ll have to try harder.
    We thought you go without saying :x

your right OzRocker - my apologies - shows the written word cant always be interpreted as the spoken word and also shows me eyes are gettin' as bad as me hearing !!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Me, im just a selfish wanker :laugh:

Hahaha! Aren't all wankers selfish?
    You can't handle the truth!

Thanks for giving me a hand :P , but perhaps we could set the subject of wanking aside and consider whether those who go to R'n'R gigs with the intention of dancing are selfish.

I was hoping to hear from non-dancers.
    Rob Ewart

www.VRRDA.org.au

RoBe
    Good on you for getting the thread back on topic. From a dancer's perspective, I believe that dancers on the floor should exercise dance etiqutte and not encroach onto another dancer's space. That is happening quite a bit nowadays, unfortunately. A bit of "care" when leading partners or stepping back or a simple sincere "I am sorry " for stepping on someone's toes goes long way to harmonious relationss on the floor. Yes, I have seen dancers and non dancers alike wander into the musos play area through over exuberance but mainly through being plain sloshed or other circumstances.

We reckon that there are two types of people in this world.
    Ones who are considerate and unless pissed, will always look where they are going and ones who don't give a damn about anything, or anybody regardless of the level of intoxication.

A selfish person will always be a selfish dancer, no matter what they are taught. That's life.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kramer wrote:
    We reckon that there are two types of people in this world.
    Ones who are considerate and unless pissed, will always look where they are going and ones who don't give a damn about anything, or anybody regardless of the level of intoxication.

A selfish person will always be a selfish dancer, no matter what they are taught. That's life.
    Bingo

I reckon the best floor for dancers is at Moorabbin town hall. Its very large and there is plenty of room. Never get complaints about how much space we are taking up. One of the people running dances there limits the numbers who can get in and this makes it great. No sardine feel then! We are going to see the Running Bear guy and enjoy the dance floor in May.

Maybe if you danced with the rhythm of the music rather than a dance routine you step up from being a selfish dance floor wanker. B)

Lisanne, is this observation directed at me?

Perhaps you would like to expand on this point.
    Rob Ewart

www.VRRDA.org.au

The comment concerns none in particular, just people who enter a small dance floor then proceed to dance a routine more suited to a floor show or dance competition

I am struggling to understand the point you are trying to make (and I must admit I kinda take it personally).

If you are saying that people should keep their dancing tight and close when the floor is crowded then you will find heaps of earlier postings making the same comment. Therefore you can ignore the rest of this rant.

If you are saying that dancers should avoid technical moves on a busy floor I have to disagree. Good dancers can do a broad range of nice moves in a tight space.

I could not enjoy an evening if the only dancing we did was spin, loop and turn. Plenty of dancers are happy to stick with the basics and that is cool too. Dance whatever floats your boat.

Like most competent dancers I know lots of named moves. The list was up around 80 or 90 are year or so ago but I have forgotten a whole bunch (old timers disease?) Some moves I can lead you into and others you have to know. Most of the time these are not danced in routines (not danced as a set piece sequence of moves and always the same from the time the song starts to the time it ends) but we do have a tendency to string some moves together because they are complementary (and because of the aforesaid oldtimers disease).

I enjoy the challenge of getting it right and I just get a lot of personal satisfaction from it. Not for show but for me.

But show does come into fancy dancing and if you would like to see how much pleasure there is in getting involved with technical R'n'R dancing come to the Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Association (VRRDA - vee dub-el are dee eh!) Western Heat at Colac on Sat 29 April. Check the web site address below for info.

And, Lisanne, please find me at a venue so we can dance together. (I am assuming you are female.) My pic is in the Member Profile section just to the left of this posting and there are people around who know me.
    Rob Ewart

www.VRRDA.org.au

It really does not matter how a person dances ( free style or "routine&quot, we all develop a style that suits us over time and as confidence grows so does the repertoire of moves/variations and the ability to string together moves according to the music being played. What IS important is common dance courtesy and etiquette, being aware of other dancers on the floor and watching how you lead your partner on crowded floors.