The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

CUP DAY FUNDRAISER TO PROMOTE ROCK 'n' ROLL IN THE COMMUNITY

Help Us Spread The Music !!!

Hi Rockers & Rockettes,
    As I move around the Rock ‘n’ Roll scene I can’t help but constantly marvel how fortunate we are. We are in a scene that keeps us young, fit and constantly uplifted by the music the dancing and the friends we encounter on a day to day basis.

I see the smiles on the faces of the people who have attended my classes, have formed friendships and have started to attend the dances.
    I am certain all the other teachers & dance promoters feel the same.

However I am saddened by the fact that more people don’t get the opportunity to come into contact with our scene and more importantly that there are fewer teenagers and young adults.
    Now I could ask you to have more children but obviously you are too busy dancing ( or just plain over that stuff) so our only chance is to take rock ‘n’ roll to the masses.
    I am scared that we might be the last Generation of Rockers.
    If you feel the same way then READ ON.

Please Note - Information on the Event will be Emailed Regularly.
    The Following is Part 1 of a 4 Stage Plan to Make Rock 'n' Roll Live Again.

I hope what I have to say will get you thinking about what you can do to
    “ keep the spirit alive “.

Coming onto the Rock ‘n’ Roll Scene
    For a person just wanting to learn to dance Rock ‘n Roll is the best style.
    It is fun. Each partner’s footwork can vary or a man can virtually stand still if he can lead.
    For shy people it is not as in your face as some ballroom styles.
    The music is joyful.
    The people are welcoming.
    For these and many other reasons we should have many more people on the Rock ‘n’ Roll scene.

When I came onto the scene 18 years ago, I had NO idea that there was a scene.
    This means that even if you like the style you might think “
    what is the point of learning Rock ‘n’ Roll ‘no-one dances it any more.

We should have a dance every Saturday night in the North, East, West, South and
    country areas and they should ALL be full.
    We should be having packed out dance classes.
    Rock ‘n’ Roll really is the best fun you can have standing up.

As I said previously we want to promote Rock ‘n’ Roll to the masses.
    We want to promote Rock ‘n’ Roll in schools.
    This will be done by training young teachers to go to schools and into the community to teach the basics of rock ‘n’ roll for free.
    They will teach secondary level during school hours and we will run after school programmes for primary school children and their parents.
    During the classes they will show them videos of the dance comps in the 90’s when we had so many children competing.
    They will describe the scene, the music, the cars and the fun.
    They will organise school concerts and at each school they will hand out brochures with ALL the classes, venues, bands, Etc.

We want to promote Rock ‘n’ Roll by establishing a co-operative which will hopefully encourage ALL teachers, venues, bands, DJ’s, memorabilia, clothing & record outlets,
    community Radio DJ’s and promoters to make contributions towards advertising the
    scene in major newspapers.
    I tried this many years ago and while everyone agreed that it was a” a great idea” everyone waited for everyone else and it never got off the ground.
    This time, for the sake of the future of Rock ‘n’ Roll, IT HAS TO.
    Why a Co-operative? Let Me Tell You About “ THE GUMBALLS “

When I was doing my Degree in Physical Education one of my subjects was Sociology.
    In one of the classes we learnt about the GUMBALL EXPERIMENT”

There were groups of children from different parts of the world and they were given
    a tray with a thick bottom.
    The tray sat on a ball so that it could be moved up and down and side to side.
    It had an upright handle like a joystick at either end which was used to move the tray.
    In front of the handle there was a hole at either end of the tray.

The Aim Of The Game.
    Get as many Gumballs into your hole as you can in one minute and you get to keep them.

2 kids at a time had a go.
    The Aussie, American and Europeans battled each other and on average after one minute had about 2 – 4 each.

The pacific island kids went one for me, one for you, one for me, one for you.
    After one minute 20 GUMBALLS EACH .

Whenever you think about competition versus Co-operation.
    Remember the GUMBALLS

Who Benefits?
    Everyone.
    Teachers trying to make a living or earning part time income.
    Dance and venue promoters constantly trying to get the same people to turn up to all the dances.
    Parents wanting to make Rock ‘n’ Roll interesting to their children so that they can enjoy the scene together.
    Single Rockers wanting to meet someone.
    Present day rockers who would love their friends to come along but can’t get them excited about Rock ‘n’ Roll.
    Bands who want more gigs.

What Can We Do?
    We want to promote Rock ‘n’ Roll by getting on TV, Radio and in the newspapers.
    We want to get articles into the leader newspapers.
    We can do that in many ways.
    Jocelyn has already organised a couple of mob dances.
    We need to make sure that the promotion is linked to it in a major way.

We could get EVERY Rocker under 30 together.
    We can Choreograph a great routine ( not difficult to learn but with impact )
    and then go do it, tape it, Utube it and see what happens.
    They do not need to learn the routine at the same time, we can prepare teaching
    videos so they can learn at home.
    A couple of rehearsals and away we go.
    We can notify channel 7 ( who have already done a segment on “ The Rocking Grandparents “ Karin & Erwin Schilling).

We can encourage the bands to be creative and to make some ongoing income.
    How? Each band can submit original songs.
    Teachers can pick one from each band ALL catchy danceable tracks.
    The songs will range in speeds from 120 beats per minute to about 180 bpm.
    We can make 4 CD’s one Jive Feel, Swing Feel, Rock ‘n’Roll and Rockabilly.
    Teachers can then sell a set hopefully to EVERY new student in Australia.
    If they are a good price people will buy them and the band can get a share,
    the teachers a share and the Promotion co-operative a share.
    How else can we promote Rock ‘n’ Roll getting large groups from all clubs & classes to dance at the Royal show, Moomba etc.
    We want to organise film nights where we hire a theatre and everyone comes dressed up and we try to get TV exposure.
    If nothing else a couple of hundred rockers walking through the city all dressed up would be newsworthy.
    The opportunities to promote Rock ‘n’ Roll are many and if nothing else we should be having fun doing it.

Kicking It Off
    This year we are having the first of, what we hope to be, an Annual Rock ‘n’ Roll Event and one of many more big events, which are aimed to raise funds to help promote Rock ‘n’ Roll.
    Hopefully next year it will be a 4 day Melbourne Cup festival.
    At Wintersun, one of the complaints in the early days was that venues would NOT contribute to the cost of organising the event and capitalised on it by running dances.
    They were not Rockers trying to keep the scene vibrant and that would not happen here.
    So I can envisage a weekend where ALL teachers and venues, in the knowledge that, the scene is growing and our Co-operative is the catalyst for that growth, will unite in promoting and helping run the festival.

I do not want this to be the last generation of Rockers.
    If you feel the same let me know

Financial Matters
    To run the event will cost about $4,000.
    I am guaranteeing the project. ( I think there is enough in my credit card).
    This year nothing is donated.
    Why? Because I have a plan and I want to try it.
    If I prove to everyone that it can work and everyone will benefit I am sure next year,
    everyone will donate their time.

Costs
    The bands are being paid .
    Muso’s get asked for freebies all the time and there are NOT that many paid gigs for a
    lot of bands.
    Our aim is to give them more gigs.
    Until that happens they deserve to be paid and I would not ask them to donate
    their time.

PA and equipment hire. We need the gear. I don’t have any.

Venue/s hire,
    Until we can show that the bar take is going to be exceptional we cannot expect venues to donate the place. They unfortunately are a business and act as such.
    Once they get good results I can only trust that they will donate to the cause, from which they will benefit, in the long term.

Advertising.
    At present all the fliers are being paid for.

Why such short notice?
    Sorry for the short notice but at present it is not really a Festival just the seed of the idea.
    I have thought about it for a couple of years and I did not want to THINK about it for another couple. So I jumped in.
    I am on my own trying to re-establish my classes and dances since my breakdown.
    I am at my best totally disorganised so you should see me now.

However, 1 person can only do so much in 2 weeks.
    10 people can a lot in 2 weeks and 100 can do heaps in a day.
    So we have plenty of time ( if I can find 100 people ).

How Can You Help???
    EASY – Just attend the festival and have a great day.
    If you can call 5 people to tell them about it that would be great.
    ( I hope it’s not the same 5 people or they might get upset ).
    If you can forward the email to friends that would be great.

However I Do Really Need Help!
    Prior to the Event.
    If you have any ideas to make the day better that would be great.

If you can help by copying and distribute fliers at events or venues, please call me.
    I will email you a Master copy of the flier.

If you have time and a car and you are able to run around and pick up items, prizes or deliver tickets please call me.

If you are willing to Sponsor the event at any level that would be great.
    - Advertising space on the fliers.
    - Sponsoring trophies for the Cup Run.
    - Sponsoring the workshops

If you are in a car club or know someone in a car club please call me.

If you can help organise the Melbourne cup run please call me.

If you can donate raffle prizes, door prizes or prizes for the Melbourne Cup Run
    Please call me.

If you can help co-ordinate the dance workshops – please call me.

If you can make me a coffee PLEASE REALLY CALL ME.

On The Day
    If you can help supervise the parking area for the cars. Please call me.

If you can sell Raffle Tickets please call me.

If you can help on the door. Please call me.

If you can do anything that is normally required on a day like this please call me.

After the Event.
    If you would like to help in the Promotion of Rock ‘n’ Roll and have skills you believe will benefit us please call me.

PH 0402 402 913
    The world needs Rock ‘n’ Roll,
    Cheers Adrian

Re: CUP DAY FUNDRAISER TO PROMOTE ROCK 'n' ROLL IN THE COMMUNITY

Not too sure of cup day plans at this stage but will be there for some of the day so can help in some way. Will volunteer to be a taxi dancer which sounds like a lot of fun and will be interesting to see if anyone will want to donate money for a dance with me . Sounds like a great cause and well worth supporting. Anyone else going to get behind this event?

I think it would be brilliant if we could get a mini festival like wintersun happening in Melbourne but it needs the time and effort from people to get it happening and then to keep it happening.